Author Topic: Source of parts wanted  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Source of parts wanted
« on: November 14, 2005, 02:20:02 PM »
OK people,

Its been a long time since I posted in this forum and now I need some help.

Just back from a shoot here in NZ. Whilst there a youngster had a rifle with light lifter and short throw lever on his '73.

A couple of my club members asked me where to get these parts and I thought of asking yourselves.

I use a 92 so I havent looked for such enhancements yet.

So to reiterate

I am looking for a source of aluminium lifters and short stroke kits for Uberti '73 rifles, where the dealer is willing to ship to New Zealand.

Help.

Dai
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline West Fargo

• Citizen
    • West Flowers - Gunsmith
  • Liked:
Re: Source of parts wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 05:47:55 PM »
http://www.cowboysandindianstore.com/

Contact Jim Bowie, Cowboys & Indian Store

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 05:57:45 PM »
Contact Joe Alves, Pioneer Gun Works. 541-747-3951, C541-521-9684, email jalvess@hotmail.com

He started making his own kits because he wasn't happy with what was available. Outstanding workmanship. I've done 3 or 4 guns with his stuff. First rate conversions, minimal fitting.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:10 PM »

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 01:49:11 PM »
Thanks,

I'll pass these contacts on to my two friends.

Dai.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:11:37 PM »
Howdy, Dai. Was wondering where you got off to. Still working on that single shot project???............Buck 8) ::) ;) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 02:06:33 PM »
Buck,

Nice to hear from you.

I went back to the UK for 6 weeks to visit with the family.

Nice to see them all, but the UK in general depressed me. Glad to live here in NZ.

Single Shot is almost finished.

The barrel (Badger 34" full octagonal) has been mounted to the action. A new extractor has been fabricated.

The barrel has been dovetailed for the front sight and for the fore arm tenon.

The "browning" solution has been ordered for the barrel. I have decided to leave the action as it is, as after over 100 years of life it has earned every nick, scratch and blemish.

Sights arrived last week. Soule long range rear and tunnel front.

The woodwork is on its way from Pecatonica Rifles. Forearm tenon and buttplate to be ordered from Treebone Carving ( I'll do this tomorrow).

I have a litre of proper "boiled " linseed oil ready for the hand rubbed finish for the wood. I will not use this much but it will be good to keep in the shed for any future projects.

All I need to organise now is brass (45-70) and a mould for the projectile (been looking at a 535gn mould).

I cant get Swiss powder here in NZ so I am going to use Goex. Its twice the price of the Chinese powder I have been using for all my other shooting but quality and consistancy are what I am after.

Getting very excited about it all. Altogether it has cost me about $1300NZ, $1000US. To buy an Italian repo here new I would have been looking at about $1500NZ but it would have lacked all the personal touches I will have put into this project.

I have been trying to lay my hands on a digital camera so that I could upload some photos. I'll try to do so this weekend.

Dai.

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 02:13:38 PM »
As to the original subject.

I passed the information on to my two friends and they have been in touch with the companies mentioned. As soon as they get confirmation of the postage costs they will be ordering the parts.

The number has now grown to 4 persons wanting these pieces to trick up their rifles.

I have been asked by the persons involved to pass on their thanks and appreciation for the assistance you all have provided.

Last Monday we started the planning and such for our overseas trips next year. Amongst those is our intention to attend the SASS EOT 2006. From the looks of it at the moment there will be about 6 of us from my club comming to this event.

We will make it a point to look up as many of you as we can whilst there.

Dai

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »
I thought I'd let you all know how things have progressed.

My shooting mates were suitably impressed with the help you all gave.

I'm getting a reputation here locally as a finder of things shooting related.

On the result of your assistance another mate asked me to help him find a source of good quality "English flints"

Yes he is a "flinter"

Took me 4 days and I had the address of a knapper in the UK who was willing to supply quality goods to NZ at a reasonable price.

Anyway back to subject.

Mates were very impressed with the parts from Pioneer and as a result they have 2 short stroke kits and 2 aluminium lifters on the way. The person that ordered them is very impressed with the service given when liasing with the company.

I've had 2 phone calls so far to tell me all about how great the service is from Pioneer. ( an unashamed plug for the company).

I have 3-4 other shooters here waiting to see what the equipment is like and how easy it is to install. Once satisfied they will be also placing an order.

We are a very small community here in NZ and as such we dont usually rate in the release timetables for arms and equipment. We rely upon product reports from overseas. For all your help, past present and future I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all.

Dai.

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 11:20:41 PM »
The short stroke kit and light lifters arrived today. My mates are blown away by the quality of the goods, the service and the reasonable cost.

They will be singing the praises of Pioneer to all and sundry over here.

We know of at least another 4 CAS shooters in my club alone who have expressed an interest.

I thank you all for your assistance.

My standing has gone up in the club as someone who can find shooting related goods.

Brilliant.

Dai.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
and for your flints, try Log Cabin Sporting goods, Lodi Ohio or www.dixiegunworks.com
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com