Author Topic: 1873's with different frames???  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
1873's with different frames???
« on: March 18, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
Since childhood I have always had a love for the old west and now as an adult it hasn't faded. Just has become a bit more expensive.

Anyway, I have been in search for a rifle in 44-40 caliber for quite some time. I found plenty but just not the deal I was hoping for until this last weekend. I went to a gun show and came across what I thought was a deal I could not pass up.

I am making this post because after getting home with my new-to-me rifle I was comparing it to my other similar rifle (only in 45 Colt caliber) and I noticed a difference in the rifle frames.

Now both of these rifles are Uberti 1873 replicas (excellent rifles by the way). One I have had now for about 10 years and is a 1873 Deluxe Sporting Rifle imported by Cimarron (bottom rifle in photo). The one I just acquired the past weekend is an older 1873 Sporting Rifle imported by Navy Arms (upper rifle in photo). The gentleman I purchased it from told me it had been in his safe for about 15 years and to his knowledge had never been fired. I have antiquated them both because I shoot them and don't want them to look new. Besides I just think they have more character antiqued.

Look at the difference in the frames. The newer Cimarron has only one screw on the left side back by the butt stock. I think that is the screw that holds the lower tang in place. The older Navy Arms rifle has three screws. I am assuming this was perhaps an upgrade change that took place sometime during Uberti's production.

Has anyone else noticed this and do they might know the particulars to the difference?

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1261
Re: 1873's with different frames???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
Looks like where the holes would be for a saddle ring staple.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:32:23 PM »

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:22:38 PM »
So I guess it is possible that at times they use the same frame no matter whether or not it is a carbine or rifle? Would that be a correct assessment?   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
Very Correct Assessment.
Over all the years I built competition Toggle Link rifles I think I saw just about every variation that could be done with Uberti rifles.  When
a build order came to a guys bench, for a rifle, and the only frame he had was for Carbine, with saddle ring, he built a rifle and just stuck
"blind screws" in the holes.  Or, as in several rifles I worked on, actually built the rifle with a complete saddle ring.  Those were interesting guns.  I actually wanted one of those "saddle ring rifles" but the guy who had it wouldn't sell.  Uberti, over the years hs had no hesitation in substituting ANYTHING for ANYTHING.

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1261
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »
But more importantly, how does she shoot?  :)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 12:30:16 AM »
My 1980 vintage Uberti '73 has thres crews and I never noticed until I read this.

Shoots like a dream.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »
I haven't had a chance to get out to the range with it yet but hope to this next week. If it shoots as good as my other one then it will be a terrific shooter.

Coffinmaker, A fella on another forum had a picture of an original Winchester that had the same situation. Three screws on the left side of the frame but no saddle ring staple and it was a rifle and not a carbine, so I guess there were times when perhaps Winchester did the same thing. Do you think so?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:18:37 AM »
" .... I guess there were times when perhaps Winchester did the same thing. Do you think so? "

Yep  :)

If that set you to thinking...these then , will blow your mind  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
Darn it Major 2,

I was pretty content until you posted the picture of the one with the two screws forward of the saddle ring staple. ;D

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »
Darn it Major 2,

I was pretty content until you posted the picture of the one with the two screws forward of the saddle ring staple. ;D

That photo is no mystery at all. It is a first model 1873 as apparent from the dust cover, no lever safety, and as noted the screws in a different location. It is a low serial number as also evident from the screw in lever latch. I have an early model just like that, mine also has a single set trigger.

There were three different Winchester 1873 models the two forward screws on the earlier models are different from the Uberti's because the Uberti rifles are a replica of later and more common 3rd model 1873.

Look at 1st and 2nd model 1873 Winchesters and you will see them with the screws like that.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »
Chuckle chuckle Snort!!
Trust me.  Winchester did the exact same things Uberti does.  Never let paltry details be a hinderance to your production schedule.  I've
seen some pretty odd looking Winchesters too.  For whatever reason, Uberti never has gotten a single set trigger into '73 production.
Now, honestly, there isn't a lot of call for them but what the heck.
In those halcyon days of yesteryear, when Winchester was a real gun company, a person could order what ever they wanted and those
nice folks at Winchester would build it.  How about factory built, Saddle ring equipped "Trappers" with 12 and 14 inch barrels.  Some
really interesting guns were built back then.  Unlike today where you have to pretty much take what you can get.  Some special orders
are taken and built, but darn'd few (By Uberti).  I don't know that a person can even "special order" a non-standard Moruku.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 07:35:20 AM »
I've thought I'd like to be able to get a single set trigger on a Uberti although that would be like putting race car controls on a yugo. Current production Uberti barrels would prevent any gains a set trigger would afford at long ranges.

I was shooting one of my old Winchester 1873 third models last week and it reminded me just how great those old guns were made compared to the water pipes Uberti screws on their receivers. 124 year old gun will out shoot any new Uberti.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com