Author Topic: DT #'ed engraved cylinder guns?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
DT #'ed engraved cylinder guns?
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:17:09 AM »
My understanding from working with John Adam's Sr. is he personally engraved the cylinders on this DT serial numbered set of guns.
Although I could well have misunderstood that conversation as well.

I wasn't originally very impressed with this model but it has grown on me since then having gained some idea of the rarity of the DT marked guns in general.

I have an example, but not seeing any others, some how came to the conclusion they were all .45 Colt.  Obviously that is not the case as this one is a .44 Special.  Any other calibers floating around in these guns?  I've seen 4 3/4" (seems to be the most common) and 5 1/2".  Any 7.5" or shorter than the 4 3/4" floating around ?

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: DT #'ed engraved cylinder guns?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:27:40 AM »
Yahoody, don't know for sure on the engraved cylinder guns, but I got a pair of 7 1/2" 44 WCFs on black powder frames from Doug. Even lucked out and got consecutive numbers without asking for them. ;D

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »
Thanks  Pathfinder.  Are they Turnbull guns with the bull on the side and a SP serial number or USFA guns with a DT serial number?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:56:46 PM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
USFA with the DT #.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 09:06:54 PM »
That is a nice par!

Thanks for the reply and happy New Year!.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 09:48:54 AM »
I believe these guns went to a distributor in FL that went bankrupt.  These eventually showed up in another distributors flyer.  I know of several dealers that stocked up when they became available

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »
Just so happens Michael now has one for sale on gunbroker.  Very nice one in 44 WCF.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »
Quote from: GaryG
I believe these guns went to a distributor in FL that went bankrupt.  These eventually showed up in another distributors flyer.  I know of several dealers that stocked up when they became available

Good reminder Gary, thanks.  I had totally forgotten that connection just assuming incorrectly it was straight USFA to Turnbull to the public.    If I remember correctly CDNN had them last.  But I wonder if my memory is correct on that?  Any idea who originally ordered them?

I've now seen or heard of the engraved cylinder guns in .45 Colt, 44-40, 44 Special, 38 Special and 32-20, although it seems from what I have witnessed the majority were .45 Colt.  That would leave .45 ACP, 44 Russian, .41 Colt and 38-40 out of the mix.  Have to wonder about them as well.  Could easily have been some made up at the time.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »
CDNN is correct.  Thanks for the memory but don't remember who had them first.

Offline sixguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »
Not sure about the DT serial numbers, but a bunch of 3-gun sets were made by Turnbull for Sporting Products in Florida around 2007.  These were the SP serial number ones.  Originally, supposed to be limited to 50 sets, but not sure how many were actually made.  The 3 gun set was made up of an A engraved with Walnut, B engraved with Stag, and C engraved with Ivory.  These sets were broke up and sold individually, Cabelas had numerous ones a couple of years ago.

I have a copy of the ad for this series in the Holiday 2007 issue of the Dakota Arms magazine they put out for a few years.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 02:38:02 AM »
Didn't know or didn't remember all that Sixguns. I do remember I wished for a B engraved ivory gun :)  As I could never afford a C and ivory back then (or an A in actuality) .   Good on ya for the memory on these!  Thanks for the info. 

No clue what factory engraved USFAs these are but I liked them :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com