Author Topic: Winchester 1873 Value *PHOTO ADDED*  (Read 8233 times)

Offline mrh1958

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1873 Value *PHOTO ADDED*
« on: December 08, 2015, 02:43:51 AM »
Hello, new member here, I have a original 1873 Winchester chambered in 32-20, the serial number is 459xxx, gun is solid and seems to function ok, the metal is an even patina and dark, bore has visible lands and grooves and looks to have some light pitting, one unusual thing about this one is that it has what appears to be factory sling swivels, front swivel is attached to the nose cap on the forearm and the rear one inletted into the butt stock and attached with two screws. The wood is dark and has one small crack at the wrist of the stock, dust cover missing. Any idea on the value? Thanks in advance.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Winchester 1873 Value
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:20:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of help and friendly folks here. More details are needed to better understand what you have - rifle or carbine? barrel length, round, half round or octagon barrel? sights? straight or pistol grip stock? If you can post a photo, that would help a lot.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline mrh1958

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:55:38 AM »
I will post a photo later this evening....thank you !

Advertising

Re: Winchester 1873 Value *PHOTO ADDED*
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:40:19 PM »

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
mrh1958,  What is the measurement from the toe of the butt plate to the center of the swivel on the bottom of the stock?

Buck

Offline mrh1958

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »
Buck thanks for the question I will check that and post it here, in the meantime heres a photo of the gun in question

Offline mrh1958

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »
The swivel is inletted and held in place by two screws if that helps.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »
Most Winchester sling swivels were attached in this fashion.  Can't tell from the photo, but there should be a 1" swivel loop on the stud which is mounted to the forend cap.   What is the barrel length?  Looks to be extra long.  Measure from the back of the receiver ring where the breech bolt comes flush with the chamber, to the end of the muzzle. 

Buck

Offline mrh1958

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
Yes it does have the 1" swivel in the front and back, I will measure the barrel later this evening and post tomorrow, thanks for all the info

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
Rock Island Auction had 32 original 73s on their auction last weekend with
estimated prices from $1500 to $80000. Rarity and condition is everything.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline mrh1958

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:58 AM »
One thing I noticed on this 73 is with the hammer in the cocked position and the rifle pointed upward the plunger that the hammer strikes slips back and touches the hammer....problem?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »
That is the firing pin extension and should be pinned to the bolt. It should not come back. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »
On an original '73, there is no extension on the firing pin.  The firing pin is all one piece.  There should be a piece called a retractor that fits on the left side of the breech bolt.  A pin runs through the bolt and retractor to keep them in place and this pin also serves as the forward pivot point for the lever.  If the firing pin falls back against the hammer when it is in the cocked position, either the retractor is in upside down or missing all together. 

Buck

If you're unsure of what I'm talking about, send me a private message with your email address and I'll send some photos, so you can see how these things work and fit together.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
As Buck said that is the firing pin on an original.

The firing pin retractor not only retracts the firing pin when cocking the gun it also holds the firing pin in the bolt. There is a fair amount of pressure on it to push the hammer back if the gun has a fairly heavy main spring. I see them all the time that it doesn't keep the firing pin back or even retract it at all. There is a little pin sticking out on the toggle link that pivots the retractor and it pulls back on the firing pin, so I guess they are a common wear item.

The firing pin is not spring loaded like a Uberti. The retractor is similar to the firing pin stop that holds the firing pin extension in the bolt on current made Uberti rifles except it actually pivots and retracts the firing pin on an original 1873.

I'm not certain the retractor will even go in the gun backwards but even if it will I think it would still retain the firing pin, if the firing pin actually moves all the way back against the hammer with the action closed and the hammer cocked I'd bet the retractor is broken or missing. I have heard this is a common part to be missing although I've never seen one actually missing from a gun.

The toggle link pin through the bolt holds the retractor in just like the firing pin stop on current made Uberti rifles.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline mrh1958

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 05:08:47 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys I will check it out and see if that pin is missing or broken

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 01:07:05 AM »
Most Winchester sling swivels were attached in this fashion.  Can't tell from the photo, but there should be a 1" swivel loop on the stud which is mounted to the forend cap.   What is the barrel length?  Looks to be extra long.  Measure from the back of the receiver ring where the breech bolt comes flush with the chamber, to the end of the muzzle. 

Buck

Buck, you should post the retractor photos here, please. I have seen this in the Pirkle book before (which I don't own). It would be great to have first hand photos on file here.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com