Author Topic: Which one piece wood grip for 1st Gen SAA?  (Read 7172 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Which one piece wood grip for 1st Gen SAA?
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »
I am rebuilding an 1880s badly abused, but not unrepairable Colt Single Action Army.  It was missing parts, was badly buffed and nickel plated that we are replacing parts as best we can to make it a shooter (blackpowder cartridge .45 Colt loads only).  It had no grips and a bent and chewed up to almost a nub front sight.  My question is can a Uberti or Pietta one piece wood grip that comes unfinished from VTI Gun Parts be made to fit the frame?  If so which manufacterer?  Also, we have to replace the front sight, which clone manufacterer replacement part comes closest to that too?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: Which one piece wood grip for 1st Gen SAA?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
Oh lordy but I hate the term "Clone."  They are NOT clones.  If I could find the "scribe" that first started calling the reproductions "clones"
I'd drop em inna deep well.

Anyway.  The answer to your question is ... Maybe.  You would have to start with an Unfinished stock.  The actual width dimensions of the Trigger Guard and the Backstrap are the big variables.  An unfinished stock will be oversized in every dimension other than the area milled out for the TG and BS.  Uberti, Pietta and Colt are ALL different sizes, even from gun to gun.  I would personally order one of each, then work the closest to fit.

I don't think your going to find enough difference is the from sights to spit at.  Except, the front sights currently available are mostly wide
CAS style sights.  For a tapered sight, I'd suggest going to Cimarron, who still sell SA reproductions with tapered sights.

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1265
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
I don't think Uberti grips would work.  I held a set of Cimarron hard rubber grips up to a 1st gen colt gripframe and it looked like some of the gripframe was "outside" of the perimeter of the grips.  Don't know about Pietta. 

As for the front sight, Cimarron still uses the tapered sight on the Old Model (BP frame) only.  On their website parts lists, I think they are only showing the pre-war frame and only list one sight, so you would need to call and be sure you were getting the correct one.

Good luck with your project!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:49:15 AM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:09:24 AM »
Thanks guys on the front sight, I will call Cimarron this week to order one to silver solder in place and clean up just before polishing.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:21:55 AM »
VTI Gun Parts has the unfinished and slightly oversize wood grips that may work or there is another source that has them too.   I appreciate all the replies.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
VTI Gun Parts has the unfinished and slightly oversize wood grips that may work or there is another source that has them too.   I appreciate all the replies.

I think you are misunderstanding how these are fitted. The Uberti backstrap width is not the same as a real Colt. Trust me as I just refinished two sets of grips for a real Colt and out of curiousity tried an Uberti Navy backstrap. Collins Grips is out of kits until Spring. There is no way around the fact that you need a THREE piece grip kit and will have to fit the pieces on the gun. If you don't know how then you will have to pay someone to do it. Grips are not 'drop in' and any that are usually fit like on a Ruger, badly.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »
 I'm with coffy,,"clone means ,exatlly alike, not almost,or close to. And "SIR" if you find said "scribe", maybe you should give him a sleeping pill and a laxative,,,just for the night.

Hootmix.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »
If you're repairing an 1880's piece, then you should look for two things - a guy who 'knows' how to do this, and some 'old' American Black Walnut - old enough to share the same 1880s dates.

Modern wood won't look 'right' - the grain is different - Italian wood will look 'bad'...

Find a damaged Trapdoor stock - it'll work - and it 'will' take three pieces to fit properly.

Otherwise, start looking for a worn pair of hard rubber grips.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »
I have a finished Uberti one piece wood grip that actually more or less fit and where it doesn't it sits proud, so all I need to do file and sand the excess away.  The wood is very dark, probably European Walnut that is much closer than some of the American Black Walnut grips I have been looking at.  One question, were the civilian models' grips varnished or rubbed with linseed oil?

Offline Rebel Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:12:19 AM »
You can get one piece grips from "Dixie Gun Works", they are true one piece, and are fun to fit, get two as the first will probably not turn out.

Rebel Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 07:38:22 PM »
I think you'll find both are correct.  Depending on how the gun was ordered from Colt.  Personally, since your rebuilding a junker back into a shooter, I'd think it really wouldn't make a difference.  I don't personally consider any form of "old" to be a wood finish.  When I make custom gripe for myself, once fit, I hang em on wire and spray three to four coats of satin spar varnish on em.  Not too much shine and easy to hang on to.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com