Author Topic: Using a flask for a rifle  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Using a flask for a rifle
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
Gentlemen,
      I'm new to black powder rifles, although not to black powder revolvers.  Is it safe to use a flask to load a rifle, as you would a revolver?  I'm under the impression the 1841 was issued with a Peace Flask, and I can't imagine they would have used them any other way than to pour the powder directly from the flask into the barrel.  What are the thoughts here?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Using a flask for a rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
Most shooting events will not allow you to do that. The possibility of a glowing ember in the barrel could conceivably light your flask.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »
I wondered about that. I personally plan to use a powder horn and measure with my Mountain Rifle, but I was curious.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:14:04 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:22:55 PM »
Kent set you straight.  A flask is a perfectly good method to carry powder for a rifle.  I would guess some of the old folks may have poured powder from the flask but it is not the safest method.  Flask or horn to powder measure is the best way.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:50:12 AM »
Although there is a measuring spout on most flasks and some horns, straight-lining your powder is an unnecessarily risky way to shoot.  The last thing you need if for about a half pound of gunpowder exploding in your face while mangling your hand at the same time.  Loading from the measure is a safety procedure even the old-timers used and I am almost fully convinced that it was never practiced unless under dire circumstances where a faster reload was more important than the fear of an exploding powder horn.

I have a great Currier & Ives print of duck hunters loading from the flask and If you shoot properly, there is little chance of a cook off onto your flask...but there still is a chance and my vote is always for the safe alternative.

Now if you are just dying to load straight from the flask as that spout was designed to do, it would not be at an official event and I'd still limit it to the virgin shot after cleaning your bore... just don't do a repeat  it in your followup shots. If you like, I have some nice instructions on making arsenal packs of ammunition (complete with labels) for that added feeling of authenticity.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 07:54:07 AM »
 No, I definitely DON'T have a need to do it, just wanted more experienced hands opinion on it.  We tend to be a bit more concerned with personal safety now, while they may have been (and rightly so) more concerned about basic survival.  As an example, everyone now talks about the old timers ALWAYS loading the six guns with five, for safety.  A friend of mine has collected rusty dug-ups for years, and he says they were just about always fully loaded.  And then we have the account of Wyatt Earp having an accidental discharge when his pistol fell out of the holster and lit on the hammer, which would indicate he had his loaded with six.  Imminent danger of someone trying to kill you now trumped passive safety concerns in general.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 07:12:34 AM »
In my earlier muzzle loading days (CVA kit gun with the brass band in the middle of the 2 piece stock) I used a pistol flask, but never directly into the barrel, even the basic instructions back then warned against that. I used a .38-40 case for the "in between" Flask throws 24 gr, I either used 2 or 3 measures, 48 or 72 gr. 72 was a bit much in the .45 cal rifle, but that was the options with that flask.

1961MJS

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »
Most shooting events will not allow you to do that. The possibility of a glowing ember in the barrel could conceivably light your flask.

Hi

I've shot revolver and used the flask directly into the chambers, but those flasks have a spring closure.  Do the rifle flasks not have a "measuring tube" that is spring closed?  Would it matter to Muzzle loader range officers if it did?  I also shot Musket, but used pre-rolled paper cartridges.

Thanks

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »
I think the idea is there's a greater chance of an ember remaining in a long rifle barrel than in a revolver cylinder, also generally, more time will elapse between firing and loading on a revolver, than with a rifle that you may want to reload immediately after firing.

1961MJS

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »
Hi

Thanks, makes sense and all.

Later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com