Author Topic: Whew .... !  (Read 1827 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Whew .... !
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:45:28 PM »
Yesterday while hunting, I hit a patch of ice and went down. I had my Shiloh 50-70 over my left shoulder, muzzle forward. The muzzle made contact with the ice, leaving a slight scuff mark on the crown. That was easily repaired with cold blue.

I was concerned about damage and resultant loss of accuracy. We had a scheduled range work party this am so I got there bright and early on a dead calm -5*C morning.

First off hand shot on the 100m 12" x 10" gong hit right on the mark! So did two more. This carbine is exceptional in that it shoots to POA on the first and all subsequent shots from a cold, lightly oiled barrel.  Load was my usual 65 grs FFg and Lyman 515141/450 gr bullet. Then I got brave and smacked the 150m gong as well.

Went back to the area where I slipped on the way home and this time stayed upright. Bambi and Bullwinkle did not show up.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Whew .... !
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
Glad you are ok, and the Shiloh too!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
Yeah, I bounce well. After innumerable PLF's in practice and 318 free-fall parachute descents, I know how to fall. Frankly, I'd rather I suffered any damage than my rifles.

Once in an IPSC match, I took off at the run from the first shooting position. I had injured my lower back in setting up the match and when I took the first few steps, I knew I was in trouble .....

My left hip just plain locked and I did a right shoulder roll with 1911 in hand, cocked and locked, finger out of the trigger guard. Did it rather well, by all accounts, but in the process, I swept the gallery.

Once I got to my feet, the next words I heard were - "Unload and show clear!" followed by "Match DSQ!"
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:19:14 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com