Author Topic: Changes to Lyman 457125 bullet mould?  (Read 9953 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Changes to Lyman 457125 bullet mould?
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 03:51:34 PM »
Yeah, my mold is an older single cavity, drops .459.  Never had an overheating problem.  Never shot it past 300 yards, but it stays on a paper plate at that range,  Good in the old Trapdoor.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
That is pretty credible shooting with an original Trapdoor that likely has a .461 bore.

Perhaps the problem is simply what Ranch 13 says - the DC mould blocks are simply not substantial enough.

I like simple solutions to complex problems. Anything else gives me a headache and another where I sit ..... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »
She's pretty tight, I've slugged a hair under 460.  The mold really drops .4595 with my alloy, seems to slug in pretty well.

I've got a number of the new Lee molds with the conical alignment pins, and really like them, but they're all 8mm or less.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:43:01 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 05:41:37 PM »
I don' t know about the double cavity moulds for that 500 3r bullet, never tried them, only used the single cavity version , and that was several years ago.
 I do know a number of bpcr shooters that have tried that bullet, none of them ever found it capable of being usable even at sillouette distance let alone long range. Like I discovered it's a neat looking bullet, shoots moderately well to around 300, after that it's a crap shoot.
 That guy on youtube is full of crap,(he also claims to be able to hit a coke can at will with a 303 enfield at 1000 yds) and doesn't understand that bullet becoming instable doesn't necessarily mean it's tumbling. It's interesting to see bullets that have lost their stability , they look like they are sliding in on a circular staircase handrail.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
At a CAS event in Idaho, a lady (Etta Kett) asked if she could shoot her Marlin .357 carbine in the 200 yd single shot rifle event at a 30" gong using factory .38 Spl. 158 RN. The RO laughed and invited her to shoot. She sat on the edge of the berm, declining the offer of x-stix, raised her ramp, held high and proceeded to shoot.

Thanks to good spotting by the RO, an experienced BPCR shooter, she got on target very quickly. She had more hits than misses. He told us that he was able to see her bullets going downrange in the "staircase spiral" Ranch 13 mentioned. This gave her a circular pattern of hits on the target.

He felt that if the bullets could have been indexed, she would have shot a decent group in the same place.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
30 inch gong at 200 yds equates to about a 15 moa angle group..hardly bragging sized, but with good load development there's no reason why she couldn't bring that down to 3 or 4 moa, and keep them all on target.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
Hardly bragging rights?, you say .....

The lady in question was shooting factory LRN .38's as she and her late husband did not reload. I think hitting the 30" gong at 200 yds with an 18-1/2" micro-grove barrel carbine unsupported was an accomplishment for an elderly woman who walked with a cane.

The SASS game has degenerated into an up close and dirty proposition where it is not difficult to shoot a clean match. I lost count of the number of "clean stages" shot at the last SASS Champs I went to, and several shot clean matches. I was 3 rds shy of doing it myself. You sure won't find anyone engaging a target of ANY size at 200m with their main match rifle and loads.

NO ONE has yet shot a clean match at our local event and we are in our 15th year. Why? Because you have to be able to shoot past 7 yds with your pistols and past 10 yds with your rifle. Try an IPSC 'B' zone steel plate at 25m for a challenge, and that's just for starters.

How about an off hand rifle match at 100m with your main match rifle and loads? Target is a SASS steel Cowboy and a lot of guys come away humbled. my WIFE has shot it clean a number of times.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 08:15:03 PM »
Having  watched 10 year old kids whack a full sized sillouette ram at 250 yds with a Rossi 92 loaded with 38 specials at the Medicine Rocks Black Powder Cartridge rifle match, a 30 in diameter circle at 200 isn't much to get rimmed up about.

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »
I could stand at 100yds and 90% of the shooters couldn't hit me. Hell I shoot my 45's (SAA and 1911) at 100 yds Its just a 12" holdover. CAS is IPSC speed shooting in costume not marksmanship.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
I wasn't offering a critique of the lady's shooting ability, but commenting on the observable spiral flight of the bullets downrange that you had mentioned. I guess you missed that .....

Having  watched 10 year old kids whack a full sized sillouette ram at 250 yds with a Rossi 92 loaded with 38 specials at the Medicine Rocks Black Powder Cartridge rifle match, a 30 in diameter circle at 200 isn't much to get rimmed up about.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »
Yup. I have never attended a match before where I got hit with so many bullet fragments and pellets as I did at that SASS Champ I mentioned.
The lady at the unloading table on one stage refused to stand anywhere near her post when shooting was going on, standing 15' back.
I've been calling CAS "IPSC in Cowboy Boots" for a long time now. Wimp loads in highly slicked up guns shot on VERY close targets. Those of us that shoot more powerful loads get 'stink eyed'. At least IPSC has a meaningful power factor that they adhere to.

We have strayed from the topic ....

I could stand at 100yds and 90% of the shooters couldn't hit me. Hell I shoot my 45's (SAA and 1911) at 100 yds Its just a 12" holdover. CAS is IPSC speed shooting in costume not marksmanship.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com