Author Topic: Queston on 38 Special chambered Repro 1866's.  (Read 3792 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Queston on 38 Special chambered Repro 1866's.
« on: September 23, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
Seems I read where  the 38 special chambered 1866 reproductions had some feeding issues due to the the cartridge tube
being left in size for the the big 45/45's. Is this true and if so what is the cure. I see these from time to time at favorable
prices.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Queston on 38 Special chambered Repro 1866's.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
I had one and had no issues with it at all. I belive there is a linner you can get also.
I have a 32WCF 73 built on a 38 gun and i had a new mag tube made.
Buffalochip

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1244
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »
Seems I read where  the 38 special chambered 1866 reproductions had some feeding issues due to the the cartridge tube
being left in size for the the big 45/45's. Is this true and if so what is the cure. I see these from time to time at favorable
prices.

This issue regards both '66 and '73.  Is it a problem?  Most people don't think so, but some do.  Several people sell a magazine tube liner to reduce the inner diameter.  Here's one, which also has an explanation of the issue:  http://thesmithshop.com/smoothcycle.html

My .357 '73 always seemed smooth with .357 or .38.  But my 32-20 '73 was another matter.  The cartridges REALLY zigzag in the oversize mag tube, making it hard to load.  Even though those magazine liners are made for .38, they did help my 32-20 quite a bit.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:48:38 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:37:27 AM »
Thanks Abilene and Mike--If it would be a problem then I know there is an easy fix.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »
Absolutely no feeding problems with mine, at least after I ditched the semi-wadcutters and went to the RCBS  38 cowboy mold in 145 gr RNFP.

Shooting black with the Lyman #2 tang sight caused a few cloudy misses until I removed the eyepiece and began using it as a ghost ring peep. Keeping both eyes open helped as well. NO ALIBIs FOR ME!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »
Oh goody!!  Some swell Questions.  Forums have been really quiet.  But ....... I digress.

ALL the Uberti Toggle Link Reproduction rifles use the exact same magazine tube.  For all the available cartridges.  Well, sone of a gun,
so did Winchester.  Although I don't actually remember if Winchester ever built the "Original" 73 in 38/357.  I should know, but I don't
remember.  Oh well.  I digress again .............
There are those who champion a magazine tube liner in '66 and '73 Rifles.  It seems to smooth out feeding.  Or so it is said.  I built and shot '66 and '73 Rifles for ages.  I didn't find any real need for a mag tube liner.  ALL of my .38 rifles fed just fine.  They would actually run a whole bunch faster than I could run em.  But ....... mechanically, I can see where maintaining cartridge alignment in the mag tube
might make feeding smoother, but it would probably only be noticeable to the top 10 shooters.  EXCEPT ........
TA DA.  I can fully agree with a tube liner in a 32-20.  Abilene is spot on correctamundo.  In that tunnel of a mag tube, 32-20s get all kinds of wonky.  Wining em up would make a difference anyone could feel.

Over all the years I built/shot competition '66s and '73s, I found Truncated Cone bullets to be superior.  My personal favorite was a 130Gr TC with a more rounded ogive.  I can't remember where I got em.  I'll have to go digging around.  
Almost NO lever rifle will successfully digest Semi-Wadcutters.  The shoulder at the front of the front driving band will hang up on the breach of the barrel and stop the rifle almost every time.

Coffinmaker

PS:  The same bullet I really liked is available from "Ringers Bullets."

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
I've shot my '66 in .38spl since 1999 and it has never given me a problem.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
Guess you have to sell it or trade it for a .44-40, like God intended them to be chambered for.  ;)  ;D
King Medallion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
HA!!  Knot Hardley!!   ;D

The 1866 was never intended to be a 44-40.  Nor a 38-40.  Not even a 45 Colt.  D ........ None of the above.

The 1866 was originally chambered for 44 Henry Flat Rimfire.  A very soft case that obturated and sealed the chamber quite well and
ran very clean.  That cartridge was even developed into Central fire, although we (here in the US) didn't get any guns built for
Central fire.  Exported.

Coffinmaker

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
HA!!  Knot Hardley!!   ;D

The 1866 was never intended to be a 44-40.  Nor a 38-40.  Not even a 45 Colt.  D ........ None of the above.

The 1866 was originally chambered for 44 Henry Flat Rimfire.  A very soft case that obturated and sealed the chamber quite well and
ran very clean.  That cartridge was even developed into Central fire, although we (here in the US) didn't get any guns built for
Central fire.  Exported.

Coffinmaker

But we can duplicate the .44 central fire Henry as used in the export models of the 1866 Improved Henry using .45 Cowboy Special brass and modified lifter in a .45 Colt barreled '66.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com