Author Topic: Ira Paine's Personal S&W  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Ira Paine's Personal S&W
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:26:50 AM »
Ira Paine was a 19th century handgun target shooting legend. I can't believe these idiots shot this gun with smokeless powder.  ::)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ira Paine's Personal S&W
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
As a matter of fact, I saw a NM#3 Frontier (in .44-40) blown up at a Cowboy shoot!  :'( The shooter was using smokeless loads by some "manufacturer" (NOBODY we've ever heard of). He fired one or two round which sounded almost like squib loads. Indeed, I saw the second shot impact about 10-15 ft in front of the gun. The third round split the cylinder in half, vertically, and bent the topstrap upward. I was NOT allowed to examine any of the remaining ammo. My theory, however, is that the loads were so light that he got a delayed shot-start where the bullet came to rest in the forcing cone with the powder still smouldering. When the bullet stopped, the pressures increased dramatically, as the required force to engrave the rifling on the bullet from a standing start is quite a bit higher than from the case. We've seen this phenomenon in other guns where the smokeless load was too light and/or neck tension and/or crimp was insufficient to retain the bullet in the case until the powder ignited properly! It was a shame, as there were very few of the .44-40 guns made.  :( :'(
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:29:52 PM »
Trailrider, I have seen a few "Kaboom" also, but as you well know we now live in an age where convenience & "feelings" trump reality.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:05:15 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
You can't outwit fools, simply because fools are so determined and devious.

The other day - on a different forum - some zipperhead opined that a stainless percussion could be shot with smokeless because of the strength of modern metallurgy.

Sure - if you've decided to give up on the use of both hands and eyesight.

So many folks today enter the shooting sports with zero background in it, and less interest in acquiring any, and besides, they view firearms as toys.

They play 'Lazer Tag' and watch youtube videos think - 'Hey, I can do that! - I'm deadly accurate playing 'Call of Duty' and 'Grand Theft Auto'.

So - they venture out of Mom's basement - after she's yelled at them to make sure they're wearing pants - 'Not like the last time!...' - and go out and buy firearms.

Training?

They don't need no stinkin' training - they'll 'go with their gut' and whatever they feel is right just has to be right...

I see this not in the so-called 'Millennials' but even in the ones in their 50s and 60s - attitudinal seekers of consensus and too damned lazy to look anything up, but filled with 'feelings' about realities instead of knowing of the actualities, and besides, if it's on the internet - it can't be wrong, can it?

God help us all...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
St. George,

Yahoo!!! Go get um!
This statement, word inflection, should not be confused with St, George's description of "Yahoos".
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 645
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »
I'm a native-born American male!  I don't need someone to teach ME about guns!   ::)

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »
Interesting that the whole time they are talking and waving the gun around it was loaded.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 04:48:44 PM »
I see it to often and it is people with years of experance. ???
Buffalochip

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »
Interesting that the whole time they are talking and waving the gun around it was loaded.

Yup!
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com