Author Topic: 73 Colt conversion  (Read 6511 times)

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
73 Colt conversion
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
I am seriously considering converting my Uberti model 73 colt 45 to 45 ACP so I can use the same ammo in both my 73 and my 1911. Has anyone out there had this done or are using one of these conversions? If so, how do you like it? Any feed problems,  jamming or failure to eject spent shells? From what I've heard so far, the accuracy improves with much less kick than a 45 long colt not to mention that reloading and buying ammo is much less expensive.  If you have any experience with one of these conversions I would appreciate any input you have.
 Thanks in advance,  W. L.             
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline Charles B Gatewood

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 73 Colt conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 10:04:35 AM »
Howdy Will,
Cody Conagher does the conversion and there's probably others also. The one I've seen appeared to run well.

CBG

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:55:27 PM »
Well its official!  I received my Uberti 1873 back from Cody Conagher last week and put it through its paces today at the monthly Wild Bunch shoot with the Hole in the Wall Gang at Piru Ca. I was a little skeptical about having it converted from 45 Colt to 45 ACP but all I can say is WoW! What a great gun!!! Gotta give it 3    ;D    ;D.     ;D. !!!
 This gun worked flawlessly!  It shoots much better than I do! I jacked a shell or two and needs a little bit of breaking in after all the work but overall,  after putting over 200 rounds down the pipe, I'm sold on this conversion.  I am so looking forward to saving a ton of money not having to load 45 colt and using the same bullets in my 1911 as I do in my 1873 rifle.  I would recommend this conversion to anyone shooting wild bunch or any other SASS category other than traditional.  (Not legal in traditional) but good to go in all other categories.  Will Lynchem
 PS. Did I mention that every round I used were reloads that I loaded specifically for my 1911? Yes they were. 
200 gn moly coated RNFP. (You need to use flat points or semi wad cutters because of the tube magazine).  With 4.0 gns of IMR 700-X.
 It was suggested by some of the top shooters in the sport today that I drop the load down some to keep the recoil down after trying the rifle for themselves.  I think I will give it a try.  Among the shooters I was shooting with today that tried the gun was the reigning national Wild Bunch and western 3 gun champion.  So the way I see it if they were impressed with the way the rifle worked, who am I to argue with them.
 Good job Cody, Good job!!! W. L.             ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:09:45 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1261
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
... I would recommend this conversion to anyone shooting wild bunch or any other SASS category other than traditional.  (Not legal in traditional) but good to go in all other categories.  ...

I think you mean Classic Cowboy category.  Not legal due to being a "rimless" cartridge.  And of course, not legal in B-Western, but that's just because it's a '73. 

Sounds like a worthwhile conversion for you. However, I think I know how they do the conversion, and wouldn't it make the rifle fail the "external modification" rule with that ten-round magazine sticking out the bottom of the carrier hole?  :D

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »
Oh Crap, was I limited to a 10 round magazine?  I thought I could use a 30 round "clip" (giggle). Oh double crap, I'm in Ca, We cant have more than 10 rounds anyway, Opps! Shuuuh!

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »
I'm holding out for the belt-fed '73. ;D

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
Sorry but i find it difficult to understand why!
 ???
1911, 1897, 1892
Will put the film on again to make  sure
Buffalochip

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Well this might clear up the picture some, if you do the math. With 45 long colt brass getting harder to find and loaded rounds approaching $1.00 a round when I'm reloading 45 acp for 14 cents a round, take a close look at the money saved per 1000 rounds. I blow through about a 1000 rounds every 6 to 8 weeks. And that is just practice and Wild Bunch matches. At this savings rate, I will have paid for all the work done in less than three months. Its all gravy from there!  I would much rather pay about $140.00 per thousand rounds than close to $1,000.00 per thousand rounds.  W.L.         ;D

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 05:14:13 AM »
45 Colt Bp loads run about 13 cents a round reloaded. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »
Thats only if you have the brass, dies, and all the other components needed to reload them.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 11:30:02 PM »
I shoot thousands of 45 acp.  But never thought to convert my '73 to a 45acp.  Engineering wise it makes little sense to me with the already weak extractor design on a '73.   I do have a couple rifles ('66 and '73)  converted to 45 Cowboy (45acp length .45 Colt case with the rim)  however which made sense at the time.  They run like greased goose chit.  One is all race gun.  The other just the "cowboy cartridge" conversion.

Also have shot a bunch of 45 Cowboy in my hand guns. 

Have yet to convert my rifles back to 45 Colt but likely will.  And will limit my 45 Cowboy to just 2 six guns now.   Reason?  Cleaning out the chamber and getting a 45 Colt cartridge to chamber again is a chore if you shoot much.

Nasty chore with a '73 I have yet to fully accomplish.

Yep, the 45acp size cartridge is cheap to shoot with little recoil loaded lightly.    I like the fact that there is little likelihood of blowing up a gun with light 45acp  size load unlike the damage a light loaded 45 Colt  is notorious for.  And the reason I shoot it in some of my guns.

I converted my short mag tubed guns so they would easily hold more rounds.  The conversion did that very well. 

I can see your rational behind the .45 acp conversion in the '73 and glad it is working well for you!

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
I think you mean Classic Cowboy category.  Not legal due to being a "rimless" cartridge.  And of course, not legal in B-Western, but that's just because it's a '73. 

I'm a little late to the party, but someone does conversions for the Marlin to 45 ACP, 40 S&W, and a few other small, pistol calibers.  Nice for B-Western and Wild Bunch.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
May or may not be interesting/important to some.  Since my last post I have converted some of my guns back to 45 Colt from 45 Cowboy.

Had the feeling I should do this a while back.  Now the only gun I own still using the conversion is a Henry..and that seems appropriate as the 45 Cowboy cartridge is much closer in size and power to a 44 Rimfire than a 45 Colt is.

Reason I finally got off my ass and converted them back?   Had a 100 and 200 yard qualifier for pistol caliber rifles at my range.  The .45 1873 rifle has a Shilen match barrel on it.  With decent loads 45 Colt will shoot into one hole off the bench @ 50'.   8" plate @ 100' had been child's play in the past.

With the Cowboy loads it was damn hard to hit a full size IPSC steel target at 100'.   When I could hit the same target 6 out of 6 with a 32-20 1873 rifle and a 44 Special  '66 rifle.  The .32 and .44 were easy to qualify with 6 hits out of 10 @ 200'.  Couldn't do it with the .45 Cowboy loads and that big jump in the chamber.  Went back with the same rifle using .45 Colt...and easy enough to get it done @ 200.   
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com