Author Topic: Uberti "El Patron Competiton Model"  (Read 4050 times)

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti "El Patron Competiton Model"
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
I've owned a Uberti 1875 Army Outlaw for about a year now and am interested in getting more into the SAA guns.  I've been eying the Uberti El Patron Competition Model and want to know who owns them and do you feel they're worth the few extra bucks for the gun?  I don't shoot competition but do enjoy shooting.

45 Dragoon

Re: Uberti "El Patron Competiton Model"
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
I've had one since they came out. Mine is quite accurate and has been my main carry weapon. I'm also a big fan of the Remies but the Colt type action has the right geometry for the smoothest action. If you like the '75, you will really like the El Patron Comp. ( especially if you get it worked on!!) !!!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  I'm new to this so I have no idea what a Remie is (Remington?).  What would you recommend doing to the gun?  I thought it was a tuned up version of the El Patron.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:48:32 AM »

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
I ended up picking up the base El Patron today as used but never fired. 

45 Dragoon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:28:15 PM »
Half-hitch,
First, yes, Remies are Remingtons.
The El Patron is the "tuned" version of the Uberti Cattleman. The E.P. Comp. is the mounted cowboy version which includes the lowered and widened hammer spur. It also has numbered chambers as well as checkered grips. I thought these features were pretty cool so I brought home the first one I saw. The "tuning" in these guns is basicly a spring "upgrade".
The first thing I did was replace the wire combonation (bolt/trigger) spring back to a spaced, individually tuned flat spring. I also lightened the overall action considerably. Also did the "usual" shortening of the base pin so that it looks "right". Hardened, polished and fire blued the screws/screw pins, installed a bolt block, installed an action stop. "Sculpted" the bolt head so that it enters the locking notch earlier than normal to aid in eliminating throw-by (cylinder over rotation) as well as overall lightening of the bolt which increases efficiency.

I think you will like your El Patron a lot.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
The mounted cowboy version, CMS, is different with a much shorter barrel (3.5 inch or 4 inch) and modified hammer.  The El Patron Competition is the same as mine except with the low-slung hammer.  Here's a photo of mine.  Not the best but it's a cell phone pic.

I'm interested in learning more about tuning up my guns.  I have 30 years experience as a machinist but not the general knowledge of gunsmithing.  Are there some decent books out there?

45 Dragoon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
Yep, you're right about the Mounted Cowboy version. My mistake. Mine has a 5 1/2" tube and they had been out about a month when I saw mine. The M.C.s came out some time later.

Book- by Jerry Kuhnhausen
         " The Colt Single Action Revolvers A Shop Manual, Vols. 1&2 "

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Btw, mine shoots .45 acp as well.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »
Thanks for the info, Mike.  I really appreciate your help on this.  I'll get this book ordered. 

My El Patron has the 4.75 inch barrel but I've already got several 5.5 inch barreled guns and was wanting a short one.  The only thing I don't really like about it is the way El Patron appears to be 'etched' on the barrel instead of stamped. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com