Author Topic: Let's talk China Camp Guns?  (Read 10727 times)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Let's talk China Camp Guns?
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:02:07 AM »
I am enamored with a pair of China Camp guns I bought for my wife last year.

From what I have seen they are pretty unusual as they are 4/34" in 32 WCF.  More typically .45 or .38.   I bought our pair at least 3rd hand with James Downing's "best" engraving job and some fine old ivory.  But past the cosmetics the guns are exceptional shooters which is all I really care about.

Knowing they are in fact Uberti parts guns that USFA put together and added a serial number to makes them even more unusal IMO.
That they actually do shoot POA as advertised is outstanding!

More yet:

"The China Camp model is named after five-time SASS World Champion Dennis Ming and built to his specifications. It is basically the same as the Pre-War model, however it is left in the white, which USFAMC refers to as its Silver Steel Competition Finish and is polished semi-bright. This finish will need maintenance to prevent rust; however, with use and wear it should take on an antique looking patina. The China Camp also features a wider front sight, and the rear sight is wider and deeper to allow for a fast sight picture. (compared to a 1st Gen Colt V and narrow front blade)  Finally an action job and a carefully tuned trigger complete this package."

""Square notch rear sight, action job with crisp trigger.  Gun certified for point of impact.  Official armory target provided.  The China Camp is a special gun for the advanced shooter, combining the historic details of yesterday with the modern honed precision of today."

As has been noted in earlier posts, the "Patented Silver Steel Competition Finish" was nothing more than a highly polished standard steel frame.  That fancy title was a bit deceptive, leading one to believe that the finish was something more than it actually was.  There were some presumptions at the time that the steel used, while not stainless, possessed some rust resistant properties.  This was not true (author checked with USFA myself at the time).
The China Camp models used the bull's eye ejector on the cross pin frame.
Serial numbers were preceded with the letters "CC."
4&3/4", 5&1/2" and 7&1/2" barrel lengths were standard, other lengths optional.
.45 was the standard caliber, .41 Colt, .44, .38 S&W Special and .32 WCF were offered as optional.
Hard rubber grips were standard.  Curiously, the catalog mentions other grips available (walnut, ivory, etc.) but specifies "2 piece grips."

Some pictures of a base gun as they came form USFA.

Do you have a China Camp gun or have had one.  Care to comment?

More..

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=389&magid=28

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464970300
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Let's talk China Camp Guns?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 07:56:08 AM »
There are a few all US China Camps out there.  Not many but if a customer wanted one (after the Uberti era), we would make it. 

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
There are a few all US China Camps out there.  Not many but if a customer wanted one (after the Uberti era), we would make it. 

No chit!  That is really interesting.  You are just full of interesting facts :)  Any idea how high the CC serial numbers went Gary?  Or where a US CC might be found in the range?
Italian parts guns I have identified by the cast hammers are:

CC45, 46, 84, 88, 95, 243, 244

The Uberti parts CC guns I have seen all have a unique sight picture.  Not the bigger square notch of a USA made gun.  Deep and narrow square rear and a tapered front you can see above.  It is a good sight picture, tight, but not as fast as it could be. Were the sights consistent from parts guns to USA guns?   

our pair of .32wcf CC guns.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:58:16 AM »

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:53:27 PM »
The U.S. Made CCS were standard single actions in the white with CC numbers.  The serial numbers picked up from the Unerti CCS.

Offline hopalong

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »
I always wanted a 4.75" 38 special.   Really cool guns!

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:57:24 PM »
I'm with you Tim.  If I had only known and been flush at the time a pair of 4 3/4" in .44 Special would be here now with Nutmeg one piece ivory.  And  I'd be all stocked up on .44 Special and .44 Russian brass.  Or a .401 Colt!

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
I have one on Gunbroker right now. It's pretty unique, as the owner had it case colored to resemble a Pre War, very nice job too.
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
I have one on Gunbroker right now. It's pretty unique, as the owner had it case colored to resemble a Pre War, very nice job too.

Nice gun you have there Matt.  I should buy it!

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
Dane,
I got those grips today, very nice thank you. You have a Barleycorn Outfitters T-Shirt coming your way soon.
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com