Author Topic: Lee Loader  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lee Loader
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »
Hi,
After reloading several thousand rounds of various calibers, My Lee turret press broke one of the aluminum linkages and I replaced it with a new Lee Classic press.  The rather small ram was also wearing out the aluminum base.  This new press is far better than the previous one.  The ram is larger and the base is cast iron.  The linkages are all steel and the primer arm automatically moves forward under the shell case and doesn't drop the spent primer down the primer arm support slot as did the previous one.  I am very happy with the operation of the new Lee.  I may even try the optional automatic primer feed device.
Regards
Colt

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Lee Loader
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
Colt
Glad to read about your new Lee. I have the primer system and been using it now for a couple of months and I am very happy with it. It was a great addition to my system.
Cinco

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
I've got several presses, including the Lee turret press. It was actually my first press. I have loaded many 10's of thousands of rounds with it, both handgun and also some fairly large rifle cartridges.

I take the Lee turret apart every once in a while when it gets disgustingly dirty, clean and lube it up (Breakfree CLP) and it just keeps running.   I don't notice any wear on it at all.

I do also own a Lee "Cast Classic" (I needed something that would take the shotgun sized dies). It certainly is beefier than the turret press but I think I still have a few 10's of thousands of rounds of life left on the turret press. Since all my high volume stuff is now done on a pair of RL550's, I  think I will probably never wear the Turret press out.

I have to ask, what the heck were you doing when you broke it?

As far as anything to do with a LEE automatic primer mechanism, I had a couple of LEE Pro-1000's and was one of the unfortunates that had a primer feed tray explosion. Fortunately there were not many primers left in the tray and I came thru without any lasting injuries.... I sold them quickly on Craigslist the following week and got the Dillon's to replace them.

Rick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:47:48 AM »

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »
Hi,
I was just depriming a 44-40 case.  I don't know why the aluminum linkage broke.  They were rather loose from wear.
Thanks for the tip on the primer feed.
Regards
Colt

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »
When I am using the LEE press I usually reprime separately on a manual feed RCBS priming tool.  Besides being safer to use, it has a better "feel" for proper seating.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 05:19:43 AM »
I have two LEE Classic Turrets presses on which I load nine different calibers. Recently I bought a Dillon 550 and dedicated it to load .38 Special cartridges only. I'm very pleased with the Dillon but I would heartily recommend anyone starting out in Reloading to go with the LEE Classic Turret press. It is a good press to learn the basics of Reloading on. I started out reloading single stage on a LEE Classic Turret press and eventually progressed to priming and charging on it. My experience with the LEE Turret presses helped immensely in learning to use the Dillon 550.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com