Author Topic: Quality of reproductions  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Rabbit

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Quality of reproductions
« on: March 13, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »
Hello Forum,
So I ordered a Uberti copy of the 1851 London Navy revolver today, I ordered from Dixie. I was having lunch with a friend and he told me that I should have ordered from Cimarron. When I asked why, he explained that both guns were made by the same company, but to different standards. Cimarron sets the standard a little higher, the quality is just a little better. Is this true? I think I might have saved $25.00-$30.00, not really enough to make a difference. Is my friend right??
Rabbit

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Quality of reproductions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
Contact 3B Shooting Supply in Kaufman, TX.  Oklahoma Tom is one of the bigger Cimarron dealers in the country and he will tell you the truth.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:52:51 AM »
Where I might agree with T-Joe .... and OKLA Tom AKA Brian Buck

you need not sweat the purchase, aside from markings on the barrel address line , there's not a difference.
and London model is fine choice.... both Dixie & Cimarron are stand up importers you did well...

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:13:03 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »

you need not sweat the purchase, aside from markings on the barrel address line , there's not a difference.

Back when I decided around ten years ago to add to my cap and ball collection, I checked on all the importer/sellers of Uberti firearms. I read in Cimarron's catalog and in a GOTOW magazine article where Mike Harvey of Cimarron stated that the Uberti firearms they sold were a 'step' above others in that they paid for and received some final hand finishing and fitting. The Cimarron products sold for around $30 on the average above others. I bought a 2nd Model Dragoon from them based on this sales promotion. While the Dragoon was well finished and shot fine, I could see no difference between them and from anything sold by Taylors or the better products as sold by other businesses. The Cimarron name of the barrel was the only difference. The first time I took the Dragoon apart and saw some of the roughness in the innards I thought to myself this thing must have been 'hand fitted and finished' by someone late in the day on a Friday wanting to go home.

In 2008 I looked into getting a 71' Open Top and Model 66 'Yellowboy'. Wanting them both in 44 Special (planned to reload and shoot 44 Colt black powder), I looked at both Taylors and Cimarron's offerings. I communicated with a well known contributor and author of a well known magazine and asked him if there was any real difference between the two businesses wares. Wondered if the Cimarron claim of better finish and fit was true. I was advised that there wasn't any difference, that the claim was not true. I did go with Cimarron as they were the only ones that I could get both firearms in 44 Special. When I received the Open Top, the area of the rear sight had major machine marks on the barrel, the rear sight was higher on one side, and there was a poor metal to wood fit on the right side. I contacted and talked with Cimarron about the Open Top. They wanted to have me send the revolver back so they could have someone correct the problem. I advised no, I wanted a new revolver or my money back and that I would send the rifle back to. They balked on doing so, I sent them a letter with a copy of Mike Harveys claim in GOTOW, a copy of their claims in their catalog, both of the better finish and money back guarantee, and  advised them I wanted to talk personally with Mike Harvey. Got a letter back advising I could send the Open Top back and they would replace it, which they did. Better gun upon receipt, but had to do some tuning to it.

Said all this to say this-as Major 2 advised, no difference between Cimarron's or Taylors or for the most part the ones you can get at Dixie or even Cabela's. Some of the outfits such as Cabela's do sell some cheaper made, mostly the brass frame models, but a Walker I got from Cabela's was ever bit as good as the Dragoon I purchased from Cimarron. Have not bought from Dixie, but from what I've heard, their revolvers from Uberti are fine, not any better or any worse than anyone else's. Not knocking Cimarron as a source to get firearms. May come a day when they have something I want and I'll buy it. Just saying their claims need to be reined in and their customer service needs some fine tuning from my experience standpoint. Have heard from other forum reports of poor service from them, but have heard of others reporting good service.
 Whenever, ya buy something from someone, ya gotta make em' stand by their product and claims and not let em' BS ya into acceptin' anything else!!!!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
I've been purchasing Uberti products, mostly from Cimarron and Taylors, for at least 20 years. That gives a fair comparison, as far as Uberti goes. I've never been able to tell any difference, other than Cimarron's barrel marking, in fit and finish. I have never received anything from either company that could be considered sub standard workmanship or a problem that had to be returned for repair. I will say this--my dealer loved the girls at Taylors and said they were the nicest people to deal with in the whole industry.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com