Author Topic: Mistakes I've Made!  (Read 13804 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Mistakes I've Made!
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »
If I could turn back the clock, first thing I would do would be to order a USFA SAA, 4&3/4", blue/CCH, in 32-20.  I have a beautiful '92 Winchester 32-20 that belonged to my Grandfather.  Sure wish I had a USFA with a matching serial number to go along with it.  Damn!!  Why did I wait?
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline rhacpa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mistakes I've Made!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
I have a NIB 4 3/4 in. Blue USFA in 32-20 (ordered thru Gary at USFA about 3 - 4 years ago) that I would sell at a reasonable price.

i doubt that the serial number will match however.

R.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:32:30 PM »
Bought a pair of CC in 32-20s for my wife 6 or 7 months back.  Paid more for them than a pair of nice Colts.  Thought I was crazy but 32-20 has a draw here.   She has had a 32-20 Browning for ever (20+ years) that she loves to play with.   And I have sold her Cowboy hand guns off more than once.  Thought it time to have a dedicated pair I'd have to be a real chit to ditch.    So I made it real painful this time around  ::)

Now "her" guns are some of my favorites to shoot in the entire remuda.

I have a new 7.5 in 32-20 I snagged up as prices got crazy.  Even better I have a pair of 32-20 barrels and cylinders to convert what I do have if I can't stop myself.

Might be some more of those around......if you know who to ask 8)

Better's brace of 32-20s that I do shoot the chit out of, as does she when given the chance.

and the 7.5" but has ivory on it now.

at least you know where some are within the state :)

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:39:53 PM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »
I have a NIB 4 3/4 in. Blue USFA in 32-20 (ordered thru Gary at USFA about 3 - 4 years ago) that I would sell at a reasonable price.

Cap', seriously can't believe you passed this one up!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
It was tempting but the matching serial number is what I was really after.  Next best thing would be a Colt SAA manufactured around 1905, same year as the Winchester. 

Offline hopalong

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
John, this may be the bend in the road where you hate me. 

I can't sale it.. It's got some sentimental value too.

And that one looks all too much like my old pre-war 38 you bought and won't sell back!    No!!!!!!      :)

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
Capt.
   I feel your pain....I have two USFA's (Custer and a Sheriff's Model). I always wanted a Black Powder Framed, CCH/Blue, 4 3/4, .45 cal. I bought the others first because they were great opportunities....Always figured I had time to get that 4 3/4.......... :(
The only ones that crop up now are at over-the-moon prices........
TDW
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
"I always wanted a Black Powder Framed, CCH/Blue, 4 3/4, "

On the bright side, the BP frames were (IMO) always over rated as shooters :)

I was never convinced that any USFA BP frame wasn't just a Uberti.  Many early ones were for sure.
But sure wouldn't turn up my nose @ a BP gun in the 27000 serial number range.

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »
yahoody,
   I like the look of the BP frames (more for a "historical aesthetics" angle than any other reason). As to where the BP frames were forged, I would have to defer to someone much more knowledgeable than myself. I would have to go check the receipts for the purchase dates, but I bought the Lew Horton Sheriff's Model after 2005 (had the opportunity to purchase the entire 4 pistol set, but didn't because I'm STUPID !! :(...), and the Custer Battlefield later than that. Both were NIB at the retailer, and had just been received (not old back-stock). At the point I bought these, the Italian forged stuff was (as I understand it) long gone.
   As for shooting them... I am not an active CAS competitor, just an aficionado of the SAA revolver. I can shoot the USFA's a little more accurately than my 3rd Gen. Colt, which I believe has more to do with the way my eyes perceive the thin tapered front sights used with the BP framed models, than any thing else.
   I still hope to get that 4 3/4 before my eyes get too bad to shoot it...  ;)
Tom

The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »
Hi Tom,

I like the BP guns as well...until I stared shooting them a lot.  No doubt there are some fine BP framed USFA guns still around.  Hope you find the one you are looking for.  I might actually shoot the v notch and skinny front sight better than the square notch and post at least when I am shooting slowly.  But I certainly understand the concern about  eyesight :) 

One of my favorite USFA BP guns.

But as you noted at the prices they are getting for the best of the USFA production these days you can  likely find a BP Colt.
Not that they are better guns mind you.... just that they are a Colt.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 03:05:13 PM »
If I could turn back the clock, first thing I would do would be to order a USFA SAA, 4&3/4", blue/CCH, in 32-20.  I have a beautiful '92 Winchester 32-20 that belonged to my Grandfather.  Sure wish I had a USFA with a matching serial number to go along with it.  Damn!!  Why did I wait?

Son, if that's all the mistakes you've made you have no complaints coming.  If I started listing all of mine i would never finish and would make that largest encyclopedia (I learned to spell that watching the Mickey Mouse Club about 1955) ever published.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 04:03:58 PM »
In my opinion, these are truly wonderful recreations of the 1st generation Colt revolvers in every respect.   My mistake was in not ordering more of them when they were still around $900.00 to $1000.00 from the factory.  I have three USFA pistols, but I didn't buy them because I figured the prices would increase by leaps and bounds.  I bought them because they are exceptional shooters and pretty to look at.

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 04:54:34 PM »
Gorgeous, yahoody ! (and nice photography, to boot !!). My 3rd Gen Colt is a nickel 4 4/3....just not the BP framed one.

Had to laugh, Tom. That's where I learned to spell it too   ;D

Tom W.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 11:10:47 PM »
 "My mistake was in not ordering more of them when they were still around $900.00 to $1000.00 from the factory."

Seems a common sentiment and one I share as well :-)

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 11:12:41 PM »
Forty Rod,
Been a LONG time since anyone called me "son!"  Sure brought a smile to my face!!!  Just to let you know how old I am, I, too, learned how to spell "encyclopedia" by watching the Mickey Mouse Club on TV.  I know exactly what you are talking about (which also brought a smile)...  that song by Jiminy Cricket!

PS:  My apologies to you "kids" out there who don't know what Forty Rod and I are tailing about.   ;D

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »
Yeah, and sympathies, too.  They missed a lot.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
I have a 32.20 Winchester Model 92 made about 1903... I have always wanted a 32.20 Colt or USFA to match it.. BBL length is one of the issues I mull over a lot.

Yahoody, your wife's pistols are amazing...
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
I've looked at the photos that Yahoody posted and yes, they are all beautiful revolvers.  This bring to mind a post on this forum regarding a question about the shape of USFA cylinder flutes.  These photos are great, because they show all three pistols in a scroll down group.  I have three USFA revolvers and have also wondered about the shape of the flutes.  You can clearly see the difference when looking at the photos of these three pistols.  The flutes on the engraved guns have a much sharper point on the end of the flutes, like a 3rd generation Colt, yet the 7 1/2" gun in the bottom photo has the same shape flutes as all first generation Colt's.   Two of my pistols have what I call the short fat flute and one has the long sharp pointed shape.  Why?  Two of my guns are only 900 numbers apart and the other is nearly 5000 numbers higher.  Any ideas?

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
Buck,
The USFA with the long, sharp pointed shape to the flute is an Italian parts gun.  USFA's with the rounded end flutes are from the "all US made" period. 
My other post regarding the flutes went unanswered - it had to do with the length of the flutes (Italian vs. US).  It appears to me - from looking at photographs - that the Italian flutes extend back a bit further than the US made cylinder flutes.  If you were to draw a line around the cylinder, using the front edge of the bolt notches as a guide, it appears that the Italian flutes would extend past that line whereas the rounded, US flutes would extend to the line.
CJF 

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »
John,
That's what I thought, too. But when measuring the guns (with different flutes) they are the same in length.  My guns are both .975 in length, measured with a digital mic.  Must be an optical illusion, when looking at a photo.  Did Turnbull case color the earlier Italian guns?  Just curious, because the two early guns I have (one with the short fat flutes and one with the sharp pointed flutes) were both case colored by Turnbull, hammers and frames.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com