Author Topic: Lyman #2 tang sight  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Logan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lyman #2 tang sight
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
Could someone tell me if the Lyman #2 tang sight is adjustable for windage?  I will be getting a Winch 1886 and would like a tang sight for it.  I see that the Marble Arms standard tang sight has a windage adjustment.  However, they do not list the Chiappa Winch 1886 as one they make a sight for.

Thanks

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Lyman #2 tang sight
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 03:28:36 PM »
You might want to look at the Pattern 21 sight made by Providence Tool Co. out of Plymouth, WI.  It's a reproduction of the Lyman "period correct" receiver sight.  You can get them from Buffalo Arms.  NCOWS legal!

Two-Bit Charlie

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
All the Lyman sights I have ARE NOT windage adjustable. I've replaced them all with Marble sights which are windage adjustable.

With the Lyman, you need to drift the front sight or install a windage adjustable front sight.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:44:48 PM »

Offline Logan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
Thank you

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
The sight I was talking about is a receiver sight, not a tang sight. The windage is adjustable, but not click adjustable.

Two-Bit Charlie

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
All the Lyman sights I have ARE NOT windage adjustable. I've replaced them all with Marble sights which are windage adjustable.

With the Lyman, you need to drift the front sight or install a windage adjustable front sight.

I have successfully adjusted the windage in the #2 sight by using tapered shims cut from pistol cartridge brass. Case walls are tapered, so cut off a case above the web, flatten, drill & clip to fit under the sight base and rotate the resulting shim/washer to tip the sight in the required direction. A bit fiddly, but it works and is not noticeable. The sight is not adjustable as such, but it can be brought into allignment in a semi permanent manner.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:33:42 AM »
I dug out my brand new Lyman #2 (bought over 20 years ago for a rifle that wasn't bought) to verify that........

A lot of tang sights have concave bottoms on the base.   The curve is a smaller radius than the very slight convex tangs that are slightly rounded and obviously less radius than flat tangs.   There is method to their madness.   You can remove metal along either side of that bottom to tilt the base to get whatever alignment if the tang isn't perfectly perpendicular.   I believe the instructions included back then mentioned that.   I'd be surprised if the instructions today even hint at doing that job yourself, given today's consumer.

It's not hard to do.   

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »
Could someone tell me if the Lyman #2 tang sight is adjustable for windage?  I will be getting a Winch 1886 and would like a tang sight for it.  I see that the Marble Arms standard tang sight has a windage adjustment.  However, they do not list the Chiappa Winch 1886 as one they make a sight for.
Thanks

I have just mounted a Marbles tang sight on my Browning BLR/SRC.  I was not originally drilled & tapped for a tang sight, but a friendly gun owning machinist helped me out. The tang bolt on the Brownings are metric threads, so a new bolt had to be made from a large cap screw, as well as a new screw for the front of the base. I'm not sure whether the Winchesters are drilled 7 tapped for a tang sight, but that is not an insurmountable issue.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
Had to remove metal and fit a dovetail to my Pedisoli 86/71. To get the lyman sight to work.
I belive out of my four lyman sights on lever guns made in Italy all by one had to be fitted by removing metal from the base of the sight.
My two origanal Winchester with Lymans fittet none have issues.
Buffalochip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com