Author Topic: Post-1899 Cowboys...  (Read 2805 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Post-1899 Cowboys...
« on: November 01, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
These fall 'just' out of the time frame, but clothing styles changed glacially, out West.

The main suppliers were the Dry Goods stores and the big Mail Order houses from 'Back East' and they did a bang-up job of keeping folks both clothed and equipped.

Here are some photos from Fort Worth's Amon Carter Museum to prove it.

www.cartermuseum.org/collections/smith/collection.php

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Post-1899 Cowboys...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
Those are some interesting photos.  My grandfather grew up around 1900-1910 in Endee, NM working on a ranch there (presumably ND Ranch? He's not around to verify any more).  At some point, he moved to a ranch in Montana or North Dakota.  WWI interrupted his ranching, and sometime after that he left ranch work and became a typesetter for a newspaper, but he maintained some of his ranching Endee connections for the rest of his life.  His life from that period is poorly documented, so it's personally very interesting to see photos from the areas he worked in.

It's said the real end of the "wild west" came with WWI, not at the turn of the century.  But as you say, a lot changed around 1900.  It's perhaps a little surprising that SASS or NCOWS hasn't developed a special class of shooters representing the 1900-1914 time period.  (At first this would seem to break the weapons rules, but I'm sure pre-1900 guns were still used aplenty n that time, and B-Western is a recreation of 1950's fantasy using guns from that period in any case.  So I don't think gun rules are the issue.)
Drew Early, SASS #98534

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com