Author Topic: Plains Rifle or 1841 Mississippi?  (Read 7509 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Plains Rifle or 1841 Mississippi?
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
Hello!  I'm putting together an impression for an 1850's Texas Ranger.  Would a Plains Rifle (Browning Mountain Rifle) or an 1841 Mississippi be more correct?  I can't find a lot of information on it.  Thanks!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
Re: Plains Rifle or 1841 Mississippi?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 01:08:39 AM »
Niederlander, the m1841 rifle was arguably the AR-15 of the Antebellum West and its use in private hands as well as Army and Militia use is well documented. To my knowledge, nobody is producing them in large numbers and they have been hard to come by.

My personal recommendation is to go with a tried and proven civilian gun since the Texas Rangers ca. 1830-50s were professional frontiersmen carrying their most tried and trusted tools of the trade. Ideally, I suggest something rifled in .54 to .62. The larger caliber is ideal for the big game of the western plains and the overall design is specialized for the region. Plains rifles were often referred to as Jagers and I have always preferred them in their performance over my military front-stuffers. Track of the Wolf usually has a nice selection of consignment pieces. (They have an original m1817 common rifle percussion conversion that I've been admiring for some time now.) I based my impression off my family background. The Tennessean part of me seems akin to a full-stocked iron-mounted rifle with heavy barrel. It pushes a .535 with 65gr of FFFg or 110 of FFg without much recoil as well.

I attached a picture and highly recommend a plains rifle.

Send you a PM if you like. I've been at this for 25 years and I'd like to talk your ear off about it if you have the time.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:25:06 AM »
This will give you some ideas perhaps
http://www.texasguntrade.com/texassportingrifles.htm

and I agree with Dave, except I would keep the caliber in the 50-56 range. the most common range of rifle calibers based on actual sales records of the period.....like Dave I prefer a 54 caliber albeit I use .526" ball with a pillow or mattress ticking patch and 80-90 grns of 3F - that's the sweet spot for most of my 54 rifles I've owned using that ball and patch combo, which for me allows more shots before cleaning in the high, dry country I live in and accuracy out to 100 yards 92-3") is as good as it gets considering my ole eyes and open sights...now since I'm an old guy in the early 1850's I still prefer my flinters as did many of the old timers who used them even into the 1860's. My current favorite for both history and hunting is a smoothbore in 28 gauge (54 caliber) at 6.5 pounds it's nice to carry around rather than my 9.5 pound Hawken rifle and out to 75 yards it's plenty accurate.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:12:15 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
Niederlander,

There is some really good information being offered here.
It is important to note that the term "Plains Rifle" covers a really wide spectrum of firearms types and manufactures. Among these will be a large number of Eastern Arms makers.
One of these will be George W. Tryon of Philadelphia, PA.
Tryon also contracted to make 1,500 M-1841 Rifle for the (then) Republic Of Texas. These Rifles will be marked according until Texas is annexed as a State in 1845. (when the Republic Of Texas markings were dropped)
I hope this helps you keep your options open?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen! I didn't get to read this until today, and by then I'd already decided to stick with the Browning Mountain Rifle I already have.  As much as I like good rifles today, I probably would have then, as well.  The various plains rifles were some of the best in the world, so I would have wanted one.  I've mated the Browning with a pair of '51 Navies, so I should be fairly well armed.  I'm just getting started in working on this so I'll be bouncing more stuff off of you gentlemen in the future!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
Niederlander, have you contacted the Texas Military Forces Museum? http://texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/

Contrary to what is portrayed in film, the republic was actually pretty well equipped during that period.

Check out the page on uniforms: http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/republic/uniforms.htm

Specifically the Texas Rangers: http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/republic/marshall/plate5.htm

Apparently there was an attempt at maintaining uniformity that should be considered.  It lends credence to the use of personal arms in the ranger ranks but they were well equipped with US arms as well. There is a whole lot of research to digest there my friend. Have fun, we look forward to seeing what you come up with.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com