Author Topic: Was the U.S. Cavalry (1870s-1880s) ever used overseas?  (Read 10227 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Was the U.S. Cavalry (1870s-1880s) ever used overseas?
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:05:48 AM »
Was the cavalry of the old west armed with saber, schofied, colt and trapdoor carbine ever dispatched for duty overseas? 

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Was the U.S. Cavalry (1870s-1880s) ever used overseas?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
I don't know of any times that happened, other than of course Cuba and Philippines, but by then I think most of the Trapdoors were in the hands of the volunteer units, not regular army.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
Doug.38PR,

Cavalry with their mounts may have been the biggest issue.
Horses usually don't transport by Sea very well and remain in good condition.
Yes, I know, horses had made long Sea voyages and survived. But, it required a long period of re-conditioning for them to be useful.

Two "overseas" locations where a US Military presents may have been needed pretty early would have been Alaska after we purchased it in, I believe in 1867.
And Hawaii, after we annexed it. I don't remember the date for that.
The initial Military presents would probably fallen to the USN & USMC with perhaps some regular Army.
Once re mounts in these new Territories had been obtained, then the Mounted Services could be brought in.
I hope this info offers you with some possible answers to your questions?
My best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:46:54 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »
No.

The only 'overseas' use happened during the Spanish-American War, in Cuba - and that was limited, with what horses as were available being used to pull equipment, and Cavalry troopers fighting dismounted.

Horse-mounted Cavalry would see active service in Mexico as a part of the Punitive Expedition - perhaps the last gasp of the Horse Cavalryman in combat, because the Great War rang the death knell for cavalry by use of machineguns, rolling barrages and gas.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »
Just for the historical info,

Horse-mounted Cavalry would see active service in Mexico as a part of the Punitive Expedition - perhaps the last gasp of the Horse Cavalryman in combat, because the Great War rang the death knell for cavalry by use of machineguns, rolling barrages and gas.

From Wiki (I know), "The last horse cavalry charge by an Army cavalry unit took place against Japanese forces during the fighting in the Bataan Peninsula, Philippines, in the village of Morong on 16 January 1942, by the 26th Cavalry Regiment of the Philippine Scouts. Shortly thereafter, the besieged combined United States-Philippine forces were forced to slaughter their horses for food and the 26th Regiment fought on foot or in whatever scarce vehicles were available until their surrender."

"The 10th Mountain Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop of the 10th Mountain Division, while not designated as U.S. Cavalry, conducted the last horse-mounted charge of any Army organization while engaged in Austria in 1945.[6] An impromptu pistol charge by the Third Platoon was carried out when the Troop encountered a machine gun nest in an Italian village/town sometime between 14–23 April 1945."

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »
US Cavalry scout units did serve in the Phillipines into the 1920s but not armed with Schofields and Trapdoors.  I don't think any US Cavalry unit ever charged with sabers after the Civil War did they?  Maybe in the Indian wars, but by then we were sold on pistols as the first weapon of choice.  You have to remember, the United States did not have a huge Cavalry tradition prior to the Civil war and not much after.  In Europe, elite cavalry units existed for centuries and they had a hard time getting rid of those traditions since they were often populated by the aristocracy and families had generational ties to units.  I think one of the first, if not the first, British confirmed kills in WWI was a Cavalryman against a German Uhlan (using a new pattern saber).  The Soviets used Cavalry in the second war for recon as I recall, and as kind of a weird, fast infantry (fighting dismounted) but not on a large scale.  

This thread got me going and casting around on the web I read the following though I cannot vouch for its accuracy it is interesting as it pertains to US mounted troops:

The last horse cavalry charge by an Army cavalry unit took place against Japanese forces during the fighting in the Bataan Peninsula, Philippines, in the village of Morong on 16 January 1942, by the 26th Cavalry Regiment of the Philippine Scouts. Shortly thereafter, the besieged combined United States-Philippine forces were forced to slaughter their horses for food and the 26th Regiment fought on foot or in whatever scarce vehicles were available until their surrender.

The 10th Mountain Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop of the 10th Mountain Division, while not designated as U.S. Cavalry, conducted the last horse-mounted charge of any Army organization while engaged in Austria in 1945.[6] An impromptu pistol charge by the Third Platoon was carried out when the Troop encountered a machine gun nest in an Italian village/town sometime between 14–23 April 1945.

The last Cavalry unit I remember was a South African unit that worked on horseback and did as a matter of course have one mounted charge before apartheid was overthrown, but it has been years since I read about them.  
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:41:46 AM »
Just for a moment, re-read the original question - I know it's difficult staying on track.

The question was whether or not Indian Wars Cavalry ever served overseas - 'not' if there were isolated actions involving horse-mounted soldiers later in the twentieth century...

If we take those into consideration, we have to include the SF in Afghanistan.

Scouts Out!

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:00:46 AM »
Just for a moment, re-read the original question -I know it's difficult staying on track.

You mean like when you said...

What part of the Indian Wars was that? My post was in response to
because the Great War rang the death knell for cavalry

I simply pointed out that cavalry actually saw service in WW2.

Offline Sgt. John McAfferty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
For all intent, the Indian Wars period ended with the death of Sitting Bull, although there were minor incidents involving US Army units after that.  During the period from the end of the Civil War to the death of Sitting Bull the US Army was very small and had its hands full policing the Indians and garrisoning forts back east.
Any foreign involvement (which did occur) was covered by the Navy and Marine Corps.

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
No.

The only 'overseas' use happened during the Spanish-American War, in Cuba - and that was limited, with what horses as were available being used to pull equipment, and Cavalry troopers fighting dismounted.

Scouts Out!
The last documented US cavalry horse charge by the 26th Cavalry regiment at Morong (Moron, Philipines) on 16 January 1942 against the invading Japanese.  Lt. Edwin Price Ramsey  led 27 men in a mounted pistol charge that successfully routed the Japanese advance guard at the cost of 3-cavalrymen wounded. In March 1942, starvation compelled the US army to slaughter all surviving horses and mules to feed the army.

-Dave

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »
Was the cavalry of the old west armed with saber, schofied, colt and trapdoor carbine ever dispatched for duty overseas?  

'This' was the original question.

My answer:

No.

Scouts Out!

The Schofield and Trapdoor Carbine had been phased out, leaving the Colt with a 5 1/2" barrel and the Krag Carbine to serve.

Scouts Out!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 08:49:09 PM »

well it might be a stretch.... but

General Chaffee's involvement in the Yihetuan Movement or Boxer Rebellion.
During the Civil War, Adna Chaffee enlisted in the Reg. Army  6th US Cavalry, and rose to the rank of Lieutenant &  brevetted Captain.
He fought in the Indian wars and commanded the Cavalry School at Fort Riley, Ks.
A Major General in Cuba during the Spam-Am war, and Commanded relief forces in China and took part in the Battle of Peking.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
You're right - it's a stretch...

The 'Cavalry' in question applies to Cavalry units - not individual Cavalry Officers.

Scouts Out!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 01:56:39 AM »
agreed a stretch  :) to the OP question

Major General Adna R. Chaffee, Sr.
The U.S. Army units involved at Peking consisted of detachments of 9th and 14th Infantry Regiments, and the 6th Cavalry Regiment, and Battery F of the 5th Field Artillery Regiment (Reilly's Battery)
And US Marines guarding legation quarter in Peking.
These troops were from our command in the Philippines and part of the 9 Nations international military relief force...

Cavalry of the old west armed armed with saber, Schofied, Colt and trapdoor carbine" No...however
the 6th. certainly was a unit with CW & Ind. War credentials & Chaffee was with them in that tenure.
They most likely had Colt's new service revolver's and probably Krag's by the time they took Peking.

Interesting note:  we were allies in 1900 with nations we would later be at War with
Austria-Hungary WWI ,  Germany, Italy WWI & WWII  ,  Japan WWII , Russia in a Cold War.
And a factitious alignment with China in WWII....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »
'This' was the original question.

My answer:

The Schofield and Trapdoor Carbine had been phased out, leaving the Colt with a 5 1/2" barrel and the Krag Carbine to serve.

Scouts Out!

Thanks for the clarification St. George. I thought that the discussion shifted toward what was the "last official US Cavalry charge". The only real action I can think of other than the Span Am campaigns were the Banana Wars in Central America and Mexico. The trapdoor rifles and carbines were in the process of being phased out but still saw pretty extensive service.
-Dave

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 11:48:54 PM »
Still doesn't meet the standard of the original question.

Most Cavalry units had Indian Wars service - making it 'Old West' service - but they didn't go overseas during that time frame, and 'that' was what was asked.

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com