Author Topic: Newbie Cimarron Question  (Read 6473 times)

Offline Highknob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie Cimarron Question
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »
Bought a Cimarron 1871/72 38 at a sale this past weekend. Very new to this type of firearm. Bought a Navy Arms 1860 army BP awhile back and enjoyed it a lot. Not new to BP, just the pistol. Anyway I can't find anything on this Cimarron. I'll post some pics later, but my guess is it's had a lot of custom work. It sure is smooth. Has Silver or nickel brass backstrap and trigger guard all of which are engraved very nicely. Also has rear sight mounted on the add on side gate. Has silver or nickel plated brass dovetailed front sight. Anyone have any clues?

Thanks

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Newbie Cimarron Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »
Post a picture.  Your description doesn't comport with a 71/72.  They don't have an add-on loading gate so there is nothing to attach the rear sight to.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
Bought a Cimarron 1871/72 38 at a sale this past weekend. Very new to this type of firearm. Bought a Navy Arms 1860 army BP awhile back and enjoyed it a lot. Not new to BP, just the pistol. Anyway I can't find anything on this Cimarron. I'll post some pics later, but my guess is it's had a lot of custom work. It sure is smooth. Has Silver or nickel brass backstrap and trigger guard all of which are engraved very nicely. Also has rear sight mounted on the add on side gate. Has silver or nickel plated brass dovetailed front sight. Anyone have any clues?

Thanks

You don't want it, send it to me.

Early on, Cimarron's were made by a variety of folks, best to post a photo or 4 as Pettifogger indicated. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:41:15 PM »

Offline Highknob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
Here are the pics

Offline Highknob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »
One more

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »
That's not a 71/72.  Looks like a Richards conversion.  Probably made by ASM.

Offline Highknob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »
I see what you're talking about. It had pat.. 1871 1872 on the frame is where I got that idea.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:43:10 AM »
I assume it has a Cimarron address line ?

I'm somewhat with Pettifogger on the ASM Richards conversion  :-\, however it is outside the normal, and quite nice, judging from the photos.

Perhaps, something Harvey had Dave Anderson do  :-\ . The dove tail sight is unique, both Anderson, Kenny Howell were known to do these.
I can't quite tell, the ejector rod seems be of the larger Diameter , than the normal 1/8" ASM rod  :-\
It appears to have a screw in the hammer for the Uberti style hammer block ( Custom Uberti ? )

The silver plate & engraving is Anderson'ish ....The high gloss grips are not,  also the CHC is not as vivid as I'd expect on an Anderson gun.

I assume no other markings , perhaps very small letters under the barrel quite close to the ejector ?

Interesting and unusual piece, you did well
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Highknob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
Major 2

It does have the Cimarron address line. The ejector rod is .o22 and it does have the screw in the hammer.  One marking on the side of the flat below the barrel a star with JFS under it and there apperrs to be some letters just under the front of the trigger guard just below the serial number but mostly under the trigger guard. I'll have to take it off to read them.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 05:39:25 PM »
I'm leaning toward a bit of a blinged up Uberti R&M
The rear sight is perhaps added , and the Grip Frame engraved & silver plated and the front dove tail.

JFS may be the engraver  :-\

I have a custom Uberti that it resembles, my Grip frame in not silver plated nor do I have the sights yours has....
What is custom is action & internals by Long Hunter and the Bob-ed Barrel.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
Agree on the Richards..  The 71/72 has the rear sight on the barrel, and the loading gate is on a solid one piece recoil block, similar to the SAA.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
To me, the Ejector assembly and barrel lug are Uberti Richards-Mason as is the hammer.  The hammer has that funky "drop test" swivel safety thingy.  Twould also appear the the "conversion" recoil shield has been modified with a welded lump well machined into a rear sight alla the 1st Mdl Richards and because of the height of the rear sight, the taller brass dovetail front sight.
All in all, a really nice "custom."  Wish it were mine.  But, it would need a mate :-)

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com