Author Topic: Chap Leather  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chap Leather
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
I am planning on making a pair of shotgun chaps over the summer and I am curious as to what type of leather those of you who have made them chose to use. I was considering 4 to 6 oz oil tan.

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Chap Leather
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:34 AM »
Do you have a specific purpose for the chaps - show, working, riding, part of cowboy persona or just for the heck of it?

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
Just for the heck of it and I do not want costume stuff. If I am going to spend the time handsewing them, I want them to be authentic.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:51:36 PM »

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »
For real life working chaps you have a couple of choices dependent on how PC/HC you want to be:

1) Pre-1880 use 3/4 oz bark/veg tan. While the method for chrome tanning hides (chap hides are generally chrome tanned or in the case of most oil tanned, first chromed then oiled) was first developed in the 1860's it did not become commercially available is the USA until 1880 +/- 2 years the first patent date in the USA is 1879 and England 1878.

2) After 1880, I would use the 5/6 oz hides generally called chap hides, but any good chrome/oil tan - IMO best with a naked face - is the most commonly used than and now.

Of course there is no absolute cutoff date for the bark tan since some makers continued to use into the very early 1900's, but there is a pretty solid beginning date fro chrome tan usage so if history is important I wouldn't use it for a pre-1880's impression.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 05:45:16 AM »
Grenadier, . . . just a suggestion, . . . take a look at motorcycle chaps, . . . or commercially produced Western chaps. 

The reason I suggest that, . . . they will have both the leather and the hardware you need.  Buy a pair that is knowingly and for sure TOOOOOO big for you, . . . then you can cut them down, . . . decorate them, . . . and re-sew them to your hearts content.

I just bought a little over $200 worth of leather for chaps for two young ladies, . . . small ladies, . . . and they will barely be enough leather, . . . and that is before the bling, buckles, zippers, etc.

Good luck, . . . I am almost done on mine, . . . I'm not a stickler for authenticity, . . . got a good deal on some suede, . . . am using it for mine.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
Chuck is an encyclopedia of knowledge, thanks again for the great info.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com