Author Topic: Anything Could Happen  (Read 107930 times)

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Anything Could Happen
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2006, 11:47:40 PM »
With Bill's help, Ella and Rose got TJ settled in the empty bed in the small ward. 

Ella checked on John Smith in the other bed.  He was still weak, but she thought he was close to regaining consciousness.  There were no signs of fever, and his wounds looked clean and ready to heal. 

"Rose, I'm going to check on the rest of the patients, then take a bath and a nap.  After supper, I'll come back here to watch them through the night,"  Ella paused.  "Oh, I almost forgot the prisoner from that last group, with the mangled hand.  I think Tensleep dumped him in a cell.  After I get some rest, I'll go check on him, and see if there is anything to save of his hand.  It is hard to feel any pity for him, after seeing what his companions did to both patrols."

Bill walked through the big ward with her.  The men with broken bones were in the real beds, with weights and pulleys keeping their bones aligned.  The other men were in cots filling in the spaces between the beds.  The infirmary really had not been built to handle this many patients at one time. 
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2006, 07:47:39 PM »
“I know Ella was counting on Bill’s help.” Scarlet replied to Fritz’s question then kicked Lucky forward.

Patches stepped onto the porch of the telegraph office as they rode by “I’ve gotten some information but not alot.” She said looking at the flimsies in her hand. Patches had been busy trying to dig up any information on what had been going on and the Albino that they didn’t already know.

“Whatcha find out?” Scarlet asked.

Patches looked up at the riders. “There’s a shipment of guns coming to the fort. A big one, enough to supply a couple of more forts. They’re supposed to be disbursed from Fort Bliss to the other forts.” A worried look crossed her face “y’all be careful.”

“We’ll certainly try.” Scarlet smiled before moving out again.

The three rode quietly watching their surroundings carefully. Scarlet came to a stop next to the line shack and dismounted. The only tracks close to the cabin were hers when she’d come through earlier.

“Will you start a real small fire while Fritz helps me?” She asked Tensleep.

Both men dismounted and followed her inside. Scarlet pointed to the small wood burning stove in the corner the wood was stacked neatly next to it.

“Give me a hand hanging this Sugar.” She said to Fritz as she pulled the cover off of the two pieces of wood that had been lashed together.

‘Is that Johnny’s handy work?” Tensleep asked eyeing the dirty barn spikes that stuck through the bottom board.

Scarlet half smiled “Yep.”

Fritz had seen a few variations of what was called a devil’s gate in his time to know Johnny knew exactly what he was doing when he put one together. The large rock tied to where the two boards met would put a lot of force behind it when swung. If someone were to survive the hit they probably wouldn’t survive the infection from the dirty spikes Johnny had put in there.

Johnny had talked to everyone when they had first come to live on the Starr telling them what kind of things to watch for around any of the camps, this had been one of them.

Scarlet stood on a chair and slipped the pin in the hinge that held the affair while Fritz held it steady. Once the pin was in Fritz pushed the gate up for Scarlet to set.

When everything was done the group went out the door. Scarlet took the piece of red cloth that was near the door and snagged it on the bottom of the door jam, tossed it inside, pushed the door almost shut then slipped the end of the line that was tied to the washer that was the trigger to the gate, over the door knob before closing it.

To someone who rode up on the cabin it would appear there was someone inside that had tried to keep hidden but had become cold. The red fabric appeared to come from a woman’s petticoat. It made an awful tempting target for somebody that hadn’t heard Johnny’s speech about red cloth meaning they were in a hostile zone.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2006, 03:19:33 PM »
Rose spread the word amongst the hands to give Ella every cooperation and not to leave her alone with the prisoners. Someone was to be present when Ella was in with the soldiers too, but she stressed they were NOT prisoners and the men were to mind their manners, which got a few chuckles.  Rose was happy to see even a few of the men volunteered to help Ella and they were starting to work out a schedule between them.

Rose had been somewhat worried when she heard the soldiers were coming to the Starr. Some of the men were not very tolerant of the soldiers, but they were loyal to the brand, and most of the time they choose to be outriders. She smiled to herself thinking some of those men had sure come along way since Fritz had shown up. They had taken the time to know the person and forget a blue uniform was once a target.

Rose busied herself in the kitchen; there were more folks to cook for than normal. She was glad when Trixie showed up with a couple of the ranch hand’s wives to help do whatever needed to be done.

Becca had taken Wolf Song and Blue Feather to the living quarters above the foaling stalls. Wolf Song had been disappointed when Blue Feather had refused to go into the big house but he found this place interesting as well.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 01:04:31 AM »

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2006, 10:42:56 PM »
Fritz, Scarlet and Tensleep rode back to where they had found Ella. The dead man that had been left behind had been stripped of anything his friends had found valuable.

They didn’t ride much farther before spotting the outlaws resting their horses and going through the dead mans goods. One of the outlaws leaned against a tree while he removed his boots and replaced them with the ones taken from the dead man, two more were going through his billfold and splitting the money that had been in there.

“It’s your call Marshal. We going to attempt to bring them in or ride on to the next camp?” Scarlet asked.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »
Pulling the short-barreled Colt from its holster, Fritz rode forward.

"Where you goin?" 'Sleep asked.

"These men killed Cavalry troopers," Fritz spat.  "And now they strip their own dead like vultures.  They deserve to die like vultures."

"Not today...not now."

"Then you better back me.  Because if I go it alone, they all die."

"Fritz," Scarlet whispered.  "Don't do this."

"You know we can't leave them.  They can circle behind us...sound the alarm."

She looked at her fiance.  There was anger in his eyes...pain too.

"Then what do we do?"

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2006, 10:42:10 PM »
The outlaw pulled on the second boot and stood up, stomped his feet on the ground trying out the fit, catching Scarlet's attention. He stopped cold staring in the direction of the posse ignoring the two riders who came in from the opposite side of where the posse stood.

One of the horsemen rode up next to him and the two began to talk.

Scarlet watched close trying to figure out what they were saying. “Don’t stare idiot.” She softly repeated.

The horseman reached for his pistol as he peered into the tree line.

“They’ve seen us, they’ve answered the question it seems.” Scarlet said drawing her own pistol as Lucky rose slightly on his back legs then leapt into a gallop. Scarlet weaved her horse in and out of the trees making it difficult for the outlaws to line her up in their sights.

As she rode close she fired sending one of the outlaws to his demise.

The horseman fell in behind her trying to get a good shot. The black horse the woman rode was fast, agile and appeared to know exactly where he was going. The horseman dodged the right loosing sight of the woman on the black. He heard the shot before he saw the horse standing facing him.

The horseman fell from the saddle as his horse ran by Lucky. Scarlet looked down figuring he was dead before he hit the ground. She kicked Lucky into a long trot and headed back towards where she had left Fritz and Tensleep, keeping an eye out for anybody else who might be riding up on them.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
As she rode back Scarlet began to think about Fritz. The look that had crossed his features, it made her wonder if this new life he’d chosen to be with her had been right for him.

There was a certain luxury that came with riding for someone for a number of years; she had that with Bo, Jimmy and Johnny. She knew them better than she knew herself at times and they her. While she thought she knew Fritz well, she began to wonder how well.  She knew he was good for her; the changes in her because of him had been good ones. He had lifted a very dark cloak she had kept securely around her for too many years. She no longer hoped that she’d not see tomorrow, in fact she had come to look forward to tomorrows because of him.

They had once talked about not changing one another, he’d changed for her. He was a solder but that had changed because of her. She was pretty sure she was not the best thing for his career and he was a career man. He’d talked of opening doors and at times she knew those open doors had been emotional hell for him. Her biggest enemy was cold in the ground now but that didn’t mean there weren’t others out there, she’d made a lot of them in her time. 

She knew of his dreams of people who’s lives had ended because of him. Was riding with the posse any worse than riding in the army? They both could be bloody jobs, she just wasn’t sure if one was any better than the other. She’d better be sure before their wedding she thought slowing Lucky at the sound of gunfire.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »
He knew his military career was coming to an end.  Soldiering was a game for the young, after all.  And he didn't feel all that young anymore.  He'd spent many hard years in the saddle.  He hurt almost everywhere, all the time.  The only time he didn't feel pain was when he was with her.

Scarlet completed him in a way he'd never been before.  She showed him there was more to life than the blue suit he now wore. 

The anger he'd felt was more towards the soldiers who'd take his place.  Were they up to the challenge?  They didn't seem like they were made of the same stuff.  Soon, it would be their fight.

But for now, he was drawn to the sound of the guns...     

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
Looking over her shoulder Scarlet saw them coming, two more riders moving fast towards the sound of the gunfire. She moved out of sight but it was too late they’d seen her.  They pulled their horses up out of pistol range.

“Hey Angel that you?” The first rider yelled.

“Who wants to know?” She replied while pulling  her rifle from it’s boot.

“It’s Conner.” He replied kicking his horse forward. “Was it your bullet took my friends life?”

Scarlet’s mind raced trying to remember the name while she loaded the rifle. "He fired on me first, got what he deserved."

She raised the rifle and peered over it, the face was familiar.

The man with Conner reached for his pistol. “Don’t” Conner put his hand out to stop the other man. “We’d both be dead before your pistol ever cleared it’s holster.” He smiled pulling his horse to a stop. “Don’t ya’ know who you’re lookin’ at?” He said to the man with him who shook his head no in response.

“That’s the woman who as I hear tell took Rowen’s life. Finally caught up to him ay Angel. Saw her slice up a few men down in Mexico a few years back, was glad I was not on her list.”

“No shit?” The other man replied.

Last time she’d seen Conner he was a small time horse thief and card shark, nobody to waste her time with, she would have told him to ride on. Now he sat wearing an army coat ridding an Indian pony, she knew where he’d gotten both and her blood ran cold.

“You still making a living on the blood of others?” Conner asked becoming nervous that she still had him lined up in her sights.

“As always.” She replied.

“Bounty hunters usually go after whoever makes them the most money, you did that, but then there was the personal stuff too. If you’re looking for a good paying job I might be able to hook you up with something. They could use someone like you.”

Scarlet sat looking down her rifle barrel contemplating her options.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2006, 05:36:43 PM »
"Shoot Scarlet or I will." The voice from beside her came as a shock to Scarlet.

"Take those two, there are more coming up behind them. I got the ones on the right, you take the ones on the left Fritz."

Tensleep squeezed the trigger on his yellowboy and opened the ball.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2006, 06:09:38 PM »
Fritz already had the hammer back on the Springfield, and leveled the sights on the first rider.  The Trapdoor spoke with authority, blowing the lead rider out of his saddle.  He dropped the carbine, which hung loosely by its sling.  Fritz cleared leather with his Cavalry Colt, as Scarlet's rifle boomed in his ear.  Smiling, he looked for his next target.     

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2006, 06:14:56 PM »
"Good shot Sarge, now..... Wheel and....... CHARGE!!!" With that command Tensleep fired into his second man and turned Buck spurring him toward the outlaw camp levering the carbine as he rode.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2006, 07:33:17 PM »
"LOOK OUT FOR THE HOWITZER!!!  HE'LL LOAD IT WITH CANNISTER!!!"

Fritz didn't wait to wheel. He pulled the reins and pointed his Colt behind him.  The revolver bucked in his hand as another rider fell.  Buddy wheeled to the left, and the two launched towards the camp.

Scarlet was right behind him...

...wasn't she? 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2006, 08:52:55 PM »
Lucky moved the minute her rifle fired. She had always felt the smoke gave away their position unless they were well hidden so she had trained the horse to move at it’s sound unless otherwise told. Lucky moved to the left going wider than Buddy and Fritz skirting around the camp instead of heading into it.

Lucky stopped in the shadows and Scarlet leveled the rifle again looking for another target. It wasn’t the albino but the man was barking orders at those around him. The men scattered as the blood of their boss sprayed those following him. Some of them saw the smoke of where the bullet had come but nobody was there now.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »
Firing his rifle as fas as he could into the camp Tensleep rode Buck hard.
Dropping the latigo loop that was on the saddle ring of the carbine over the horn
the marshal drew his Reminton and started to pick targets at close range.

Once through the camp Tensleep nudged Buck and they turned, the albino was nowhere in sight.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2006, 09:23:09 PM »
Take out the ones that are the biggest threat, the ones in charge and ones that are hardest to do without. You can pick off the followers later. Johnny had taught her that, along with do it quick and efficiently while being invisible. It wasn’t the easiest thing to do with her weapon of choice but she had become good at it. 

Know where your friends are and don’t let yourself become caught in their crossfire. That was Jimmy's rule. Scarlet wasn’t sure if Tensleep and Fritz knew her location any better than the outlaws but she was not in the path of their gunfire. She hoped she’d ridden long enough with them for them to know as long as they could hear the rifle she was not in their way.  It was the advantage of the sharps she carried; you could stay out of the close up fire and still reach out and touch somebody. 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2006, 05:52:34 PM »
“This is,” Fritz thought, “quite possibly, the STUPIDEST thing I’ve ever done.”

He’d survived the war.  He employed it several times.  He knew what the piece was capable of. 

Then why the hell was he charging the mountain howitzer?

The M1835 12-pound “mountain howitzer” and its variations were capable of sending a 12-pound solid shot about 900 yards downrange.  It was manned by a crew of three:  the gunner, who was responsible for sighting the piece in and pulling the lanyard, the loader, who retrieved the ammo from the caisson and rammed it down the barrel, and an assistant who helped move the trail. 

The howitzer was quite effective with another type of round: the Canister.  Canister rounds were essentially a steel case filled with shot.  Envision a coffee can, filled with 36-caliber lead balls, and you get the idea.  At close range, it worked like a giant shotgun, vaporizing lines of infantry.  Canister made the cavalry charge obsolete.

Fritz knew this, but here he was, charging the gun alone.  His only hope was to eliminate the crew before they could discharge the weapon.  He’d managed to flank the crew, forcing them to turn the weapon in his direction.  But he was a good 500 yards out, and closing fast.  He’d emptied his long-barreled Colt, and drew his converted Navy.  He was still way out of range, but if he could keep their heads down, he might make it.

Buddy moved as fast as he could…250 yards…and the empty black eye of the muzzle was almost on him.

Fritz had an angel on his shoulder, and her name was Scarlet.  He felt the whisper of hot lead pass his shoulder as the gunner fell.

He’d attracted a lot of attention with his charge.  It seemed almost every gun was on him.  Fritz hat flew off.  A round meant for Buddy’s flanks struck his carbine stock.  100 yards, and the loader plucked the lanyard from the dead gunner’s hand.  Fritz fired his Navy as quickly as he could.  Bullets sparked off the barrel, and blew chunks of wood off the carriage.

The loader tensed up, his arm moving backwards…

BAM!  ‘Sleep had impeccable timing.  He levered his ’66, pumping two shots in the loader’s chest.  The assistant turned and fled.

Fritz had no time to reload.  He grabbed the short Colt and stuffed it in his gunbelt.  Jumping from the saddle, he grabbed the trail.

“I’ve got to turn the gun!”

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »
Scarlet had dismounted and taken cover behind the small berm. She had seen Fritz make a flying dismount and run for the Howitzer, and she had him covered. She could hear Lucky nervously pawing the ground, glancing over her shoulder she saw the man coming up behind her but the one who was bracing himself against the tree and lining Fritz up in his own sights was a more urgent to take care of than running in her mind. She squeezed the trigger sending the gunman spinning in a ribbon of red from his hiding spot.

“Nice shot for a girl.”

She heard the voice behind her now, she could feel his eyes moving along her body. Had she been a man he probably would have shot her in the back. Sometimes there were advantages to being a woman.

“Don’t move.” He said straddling her then bending over and taking the gun that hung at her side. What he didn’t see was the cross draw and the knife that hung next to it she was laying on.

Scarlet moved to her knees arms outstretched causing him to back off of her so she could stand.

“I can cause you a whole lot ‘o pain or I can be real nice to ya Sweet Thang.” He said.

Scarlet half grinned. She knew this game well, some men were smart enough to fight, some…fighting seemed to flee their mind when they saw a woman, even if she was carrying a gun. They seemed to think women were less dangerous then men.

“My daddy taught me how to shoot that gun, but my husband taught me what to do with a man.” She said softly.

She heard the man snort. “Where’s your husband now?”

“He’s been gone along time mister. I might be a little rusty but would you like to see what he taught me?” She shook her long blonde hair.

Taking one hand she ran it along the center of her shirt making it appear she might be undoing her buttons.

“You ain’t gonna hurt me are you?” His voice said teasingly.

“I’ve never heard any complaints.” She said while she thought if it worked he’d be dead before he had time to complain.

“You sure, here and now?” He said looking around.

“You’re the one said you wanted to be nice. It sure has been along time.” She finally had her hand wrapped around the handle of the razor back knife she’d been carrying since Johnny gave it to her.

Scarlet could hear the lust in the man’s voice as he chuckled. She backed into him and pressed close getting a feel for his height and center of his body. She looked over her shoulder with a smile trying to see which hand he held his gun in. A lefty, today really was not her day, right would have been easier for her.

She ran her hand along his arm. “You’re mighty strong mister.” She said trying to distract him. Grasping his wrist tightly she stepped left, tipped the knife backwards in her hand and shoved as hard as she could driving the knife into him right below his belt. The man screamed and tried to jerk his gun hand lose as he sunk to his knees. Scarlet twisted around and grabbed his gun hand with both of hers, shoved it to the man’s temple and squeezed the trigger.

"Never assume we are thinking the same thing." She mumbled retrieving her knife and pistol retrieved before his body fell to the ground.

Grabbing her rifle she ran for Lucky who was watching her with a look that told her “it’s about time we get outta here.” He was moving the minute she hit the saddle.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2006, 05:53:39 AM »
Fritz grabbed the handle on the trail and pulled.  The howitzer moved agonizingly slow.  Dust and clods of dirt flew up.  Bullets ricocheted off the barrel, and bits of wood flew off the carriage.  Suddenly, ‘Sleep was at his side, his hands on the other handle.

“You’re about the craziest son of a bitch I’ve seen recently,” he yelled over the din.

“You mean you’ve seen worse?” Fritz replied.

“Like I said,” ‘Sleep added.  “Recently...”

The Albino’s men were coming in on all sides.  Fritz noted with satisfaction that at least five were coming at the muzzle.

“Cover me!’ Fritz yelled grabbing the lanyard.

‘Sleep worked his carbine, dispatching riders to the rear of the gun.  Fritz whispered a prayer.

“Forgive them Lord, for they no not what they do.”

He turned away, covered his ear, and pulled the lanyard.

The gunner had loaded double canister.  Five horses and riders were vaporized.

For a moment, there was an eerie silence on the battlefield…

But only for a moment.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »
The deafening quiet before the next wave hit always seemed to hold the loudest noises for Scarlet. She could hear Lucky’s feet hitting the ground as he slowly loped, the jingle of his tack, the sounds of other unfamiliar horses in the distance, voices of others trying to reconnect with their groups.

It had been her experience the second wave always seemed to fight more fiercely than the first. She couldn’t decide if it was just determination or if the less experience had fallen and now the better skilled were stepping up, maybe a bit of both.

Scarlet had worked her way around to the back of where Fritz and Tensleep were, the terrain was rougher here, there would be no wagons unless they were moving ever so slowly, weapons that could be packed by man or horse or built from the surroundings would be here. This is where the people who had taught her about fighting would be moving in from.

The chill of death in the air was heavy here, she couldn’t figure it out until she saw the bodies. No doubt Black Wolf had sent warriors. Scarlet was surprised they were here already; she didn’t expect them at least until morning. It was considered bad medicine to send out a war party without the proper ceremonies, and day travel was nearly unheard of, on the other hand Black Wolf was no fool and neither were the warriors that rode with him. They had learned as much from Scarlet as she had from them talks about the element of surprise and not forming habits had not fallen on deaf ears. It was one of the things that made Black Wolf’s tribe so elusive to the army.

Looks like none of you will be passing on to the other side she thought looking at what was left of the bodies as she rode past.

Rifle fire broke the silence. Scarlet let Lucky pick up his pace. Through the trees she could make out the figure of one of one the warriors climbing out from underneath his downed pony. She drew her pistol, moved Lucky on an interception course with the outlaw that was riding towards him and gave him his head.

The outlaw saw the horse and rider coming at him the second they broke cover, but it was too late. she took a long shot for the pistol she was carrying and he fell from the saddle before he could take aim at her.

Even through the war paint Scarlet knew it was Grey Eagle the minute the man stood to full height. She didn’t have to look back to know there were others on her tail either, it was apparent by the look in his eyes. Grey Eagle moved away from his horse into Lucky’s path, grabbed the saddle horn as the horse went by and swung on behind Scarlet.

Much to Grey Eagle’s surprise the ride stopped near the horses he knew Fritz and Tensleep were riding. Grey Eagle slid off and waited for Scarlet to go in first then followed.   

“We got company riding in behind us.” Scarlet yelled as she took cover to reload near the two men.

Grey Eagle looked around; spotting one of the dead outlaws he took up the man’s rifle, looked sideways at the two men, thinking nobody was ever going to believe this. He had killed more soldiers and white men than he could count in his life, now he fought next to them. He checked the rifle for ammo than began to fire at the incoming riders. Grey Eagle was as quick and deadly with the rifle as any of Tensleep’s posse would be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com