Author Topic: Bandana Slides  (Read 8527 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bandana Slides
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:06:13 AM »
When did they start using them?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Bandana Slides
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
There is a painting entitled "Long Jakes" done in the 1844 by Charles Deas, and he is wearing one.  A knock-off of the painting was on the cover of the Time-Life Old West Series, "The Trail Blazers."

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
The bandanna slide is mostly a Hollywood invention - most were tied by working cowboys of the era.

There were a number of ways to tie them, as well - and the method shows up in threads from several years ago.

Slide popularity came about on the Silver Screen.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:32:43 AM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
Hoppy did it  :) I like the way they did the square knot way back,still have to learn that one~

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:10:51 AM »
here you go Rick

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »
HOT DOG!! :) Thanks Major,i'll post one when i do it.. ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1263
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
here you go Rick

That's the video I used to learn the knot.  There are printed versions with diagrams on the web but that video made it much simpler for this ol' codger  :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
here is a diagram
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
Crap first time failed! I grabbed my 45,he said make a gun,i thouht hell i already got one,i wonder how much shower doors are :'( ;D goin to the store to get a good wild rag..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
In the day, a square knot (same as sailors used on their ties) was popular.

Does anyone know what the "secret knot" the Montana Vigilantes accused the Plummer Gang of using as a sign between members ?
I'd have to go to Dimsdale's book to find what name he gave the knot. I wonder if it wasn't this "foursquare" knot which is so popular nowadays ?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
Square knot for show,slip knot to go ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
I first got interested in the ring slide when I acquired what possibly is one from an estate that was full of mid-1800s Southern California ranchero items. There are 2 examples that I am aware of that documented these to the period. The first is a painting of Don Bernardo Yorba (c. 1850s). It was made by French artist Henri Penelon, who arrived in Los Angeles in 1853, lived on the Yorba Rancho in 1854 (note. He died in Arizona c. 1874) It clearly depicts Yorba wearing either a brass or gold ring slide (see below). Another depiction of either a gold or brass slide ring is an 1865 Dag type from Los Angeles of Juan Pacifico Ontiveros and his wife.

Now before everyone runs out to get one, here comes the caveat. These are two examples out of the dozens of Californio portraits of the period that show a period bandana attached in such a manner. The rest of the portraits depict them as tied. I have always seen these as a regional item apparently more  akin to the SE US and Mexico but not necessarily a common clothing accessory used. In support of what St. George stated about Hollywood, I agree that the ring was likely popularized that way and through 20th century scouting to appear as more common than it actually may have been.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »
There is a absolute paucity of evidence for common use on the northern plains and Texas crowd. Those dandies in CA and south of the border, maybe. Cowboys were generally poor which may explain this, but from a practical standpoint put several ounces of silver under your chin, mount your rank little pony and head out after a steer across uneven ground while handling a rope. Maybe a great Californio horseman could balance his way thru that, but I and I think most of the northern plains and Texas crowd would be looking for a band aid at the end of the day. I am no cowboy, not much of a horseman, but my experience in mounted shooting suggests the less heavy stuff hanging from beneath your face the better, that even includes those long "bonnet" strings with the knot on the end. Looks cool on Saturday night though.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
Good point James. My personal opinion on it was that this was likely an accessory for more formal appearances. Neckties and bandannas play their role in providing a barrier against dust and debris getting down in your clothes and my preference for work has been a tie. When I have worked with the original ring in my collection, I cinched it up high enough to form a seal around my neck and had no problems with being inconvenienced. (It weighs about the same as my wedding band.)

One small feature I do like about the ring is that despite its snug fit, it won't strangle you if your material gets caught on the brush as you canter through it. (I used to ride through heavy brush and snagged clothing, torn skin and even an impaling of my leg on a spanish bayonet needle all taught me that the Californio dress was the best suited for this environment.)

I leave it up to the readers here. The vast majority of documentation leans in favor of just tying your tie and generally support that but the ring is an interesting footnote.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com