Author Topic: Dumb question about gunbelts  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Dumb question about gunbelts
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I'm getting ready to make my first gunbelt. I want a "Ranger" style with the attached tongue and billet ( I hope I've got the right terms). My question is this: should the main body of the belt meet in front or should the two ends overlap? If the overlap, how much extra should I allow? I'm planning to add cartridge loops across the back andline the belt so the stitches don't show. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dumb question about gunbelts
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »
If this is your first one you have not bitten off more then you can chew how ever you have given yourself a challenge with lots of learning oppotunities. Dwight55 (a member on these forums) has a post over on leatherworker.net that will answer most of your questions. makersleathersupply.com has belt pattern for ranger belt, there is also a belt pattern pack by Will Gohrmely either would save you a bit of work. Also if you go to the FAQ how to's on these forums you will find information on cartridge loop spacing that may help you.    http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55073 scroll down to post 15 for dwights post it is pretty informational and will help answer your questions.   You may have to register to see the pictures.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »
The ranger belt is not so complicated but you do have to keep your wits about you. You will find it interesting. The main belt does overlap and is held in place by a keeper mounted on the front part. Always remember to make your "center hole" in the belt is at the juncture when you or the buyer buckles up. The "chafe" and the "billet" (use search engine) must be equal on the sides AFTER you buckle up.
Now me, I cheat.
This:
I am building a rig at this time and the buyer wants a ranger belt. His ranger belt will have the same middle strip all the way around and buckle up front as in a ranger rig. We run and gun in cowboy so I build a true "keeper" that will not allow the belt ends to sag.
This:
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:41:54 PM »

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »
Dan Gerous, . . .

If you want to, . . . give me your belt size.  Now, . . . that is taking off  the belt you are now wearing, . . . and giving me THE inch dimension from the belt buckle outside edge, . . . to the hole in the belt you use most of the time.

I'll outline the pattern for you, . . . show you where to punch the holes, . . . etc.  If you follow the directions, . . . you will make yourself a nice gun belt.  Deviate, . . . and you will have a leather craft training aid (that is what we call a "mistake").

They are not hard to do, . . . just a bit on the complicated side sometimes, . . . and you do have to do the steps more or less in order. 

You'll have to PM me your snail mail address.

Another thing you may want to do, . . . John Bianchi has a set of VHS tapes and a set of DVD's out that are the absolute cat's meow on doing this very thing.  If you can get em for less than $100, . . . you will most likely be money ahead, . . . cause most folks will burn up twice that much leather trying to learn it the hard way.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
The ends normally overlap but they don't have to. Many original belts did not and the keeper Red Cent mentions was not used in the real old west so that is your choice also. I never use those extra keepers unless the customer request it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 04:10:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your help. I knew that as soon as I posted my question to the smartest group of people in the free world, I'd get all the help I needed. You folks are GREAT! Dwight55, I sent a PM with the measurements. I should known that anyone with a name like yours would be good! (you'll understand when you see the address!!)
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

Offline BobbyF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
Hi Dan,

Some advice from a rookie. You could not have found a better place to learn about leather work than this board. The knowledge here which is so generously shared is just wonderful. I did just buy the Bianchi three volume DVD set "the Art &Secrets of Advanced Western Holster Making" ($86) as recommended by Red Cent and Dwight55. Terrific learning tool, money well spent, as Dwight55 said they will save you lots in the longer run. I also bought  Will Gohrmely's belt package (approx $15) which is very clear and helpful. I should be starting soon. I also learned here the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Good luck and be well--BobbyF

Offline St8LineLeatherSmith

• The Poly Grip Kids alter ego AKA Pappy Polygrip since I ain't a kid no more
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • grand master of striking one tool against another
    • The St8 Line Leathersmith
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »
Heres a PDF of a pretty informative guide on properly sizing a gun belt
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6mEtCWw1l2T29fSktPOC1lbVU/edit?usp=sharing
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com