Author Topic: Want to go dark side!!!  (Read 2039 times)

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Want to go dark side!!!
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
I shot my new 73' this weekend and what a great experience. Hands down my favorite rifle to shoot that I own and also of any other rifles I've shot as well.  I shot 45 colt smokeless cowboy loads from Georgia arms.com and I was wondering where to get black powder ammo from and good brands. Also I know the 44-40 is better to shoot bp through due to its thin case walls and don't have the blow by that 45 colt will (so some say). But I was wondering how dirty will it make my gun? I disassemble my guns after every time  I shoot and clean them. But will it foul up my receiver or discolor it? Thanks guy,  this forum has helped me tremendously in the steps needed to purchase my new rifle and gaining the knowledge and confidence as well. A big thank you to all!
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Want to go dark side!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
I shoot 45 Colt BP (the real stuff!) in my 73.  Blowby is pretty bad (welcome to 45 Colt) but nothing overwhelming.  It doesn't discolor the receiver or hurt the gun in any way.  The brass carrier will be black, but it cleans up fine.  I soak mine in heated Murphy's Mix (recipe is available in the BP forum) then scrub it with a toothbrush.

The one thing you may have to do while shooting is spray the tunnel & carrier with Ballistol at the loading table before every other stage - that keeps it from getting sticky & hard to move.

I did make a minor modification to my carrier.  I filed a small chamfer on the front corners.  Doing that leaves a little extra room for the BP residue that does get into the tunnel.  Otherwise, welcome to the dark side!

Holler
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
The carrier will tarnish but that's all. It actually makes it look more authentic.

I don't personally shoot BP in my 45 rifles but have several friends that do without any issues. If you take yours guns down regularly you shouldn't have any problems.

I prefer the 44wcf for the reasons you mentioned for black powder, my guns stay very clean except for some tarnish on the top of the brass. I usually take them all the way down after they get caught out in a rainstorm or once a year, whichever comes first.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:09:54 AM »

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:09:55 PM »
stuck in 73,
Check this thread for information on eliminating the b.p. blowback in a .45 Colt chamber.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,51895.0.html

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com