Author Topic: Hydroelectric Power  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Hydroelectric Power
« on: October 21, 2005, 01:37:45 PM »
The first hydroelectric power plant began operation on the Fox River in Appleton, WI on September 30, 1882.  The plant was initiated by paper manufacturer H.F. Rogers who was inspired by Tomas Edison’s plans for a station in New York.  Edison’s plan was for a plant that used steam to power its generators whereas the plant in Appleton used the natural energy of the Fox River to produce electricity.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hydroelectric Power
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
Very interesting.  I would have thought that hydro-electricity was technology more recent than 1882.  Thanks for sharing that with us Slim.    8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 04:13:42 PM »
The Edison system used DC currant and the user had to be close to the generator.  About this time Tesala (sp) came up with the AC currant that could be stepped up by transformers and sent over long distance where it was stepped back down  Edison fought it because he did not hold the patents on it.  He claimed it was dangerous and accually invented the Electric Chair about 1885-86 to prove it was deadly. New York State adopted it in I think 1888.

We all know though that AC won out in the currant race.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:21:38 AM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:06:20 PM »
Tesla may have "discovered" AC current, but Mr. Westinghouse was the guy whose system of AC beat Edison's.  Primarily because the house/business had to be fairly close to the DC generating station.

Edison was right:  I think we ALL know how dangerous electricity can be.  Sometime ask me how dangerous 24V DC with 1500 + amps can be! :(
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 10:01:04 AM »
Nikla Tesla invented the technology we still use, George Westinghouse financed it and Thomas Edison fought it tell it took completly over and then he had no choice but to embrace it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 05:54:33 PM »
Yeah, it's not the volts that get ya, it's the amperage........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 11:57:39 AM »
Howdy Slim,

Thanks for sharing this.  I didn't think that AC power went back this far either.  I once owned a house here in KC that was built in 1913 which had gas light outlets as well as electrical wiring as original equipment. 

Del & SHB, thank you for the info on Tesla and Westinghouse.   
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 01:42:58 PM »
Dr. Bob, if the power plant run on steam instead of hydro, like a lot in this area, the plant often shut down about 10 pm and didn't come back online till about 6 am.  The demand wasn't enough to be worth running it all night.  Often also they were not run on Sunday because demand was low.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 02:12:21 PM »
Del,

Just another reason to be happy that we live today.  No witty repartee on Sunday cause of no electricity. :'( :'(  "Sides, I don't like going out in the cold to bring in wood for the stove! ::) ::)  Oh, don't forget the wonderful state of medicine in the 19th Century!  I'm real happy living in the 21st Century.  Love my creature comforts.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 06:35:17 PM »
The company I worked for had many streamflow units, still online, and many dating from the very early twentieth century.  I believe a few may still be in use, but since "de-regulation", the company had to sell off all of it's generation because of the conflict of interest, and the purchasers found that the things were too costly to operate as prime generation units, so shut them down, and most likely, scrapped them; I can't be sure, because that all came about after I retired..  Parts were almost nonexistent, though, except for the stock that came from owning and operating them since their origin.

A related anecdote:  In 1968, my crew retired the last remaining 480 volt Primary commercial distribution system still in operation in our service area, and converted service to 12KV primary.  This system had been in service since 191?.  These types of systems were very common in the early days of AC distribution.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Calamity Jane

• Top Active Citizen
    • Calamity Jane's
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 07:40:38 PM »
Little town (Fredricksberg) near whar I growed up had a hydro-electric  plant built 'bout 1890-sommit. Waz built by a few local merchants fer their business. They sold power to the town. Because it was an early A.C. plant, it run on 25 cycles per second. Town stayed on 25 Hz until the late 1950s eventhough the dam kept washing out and the plant waz abandoned after the 3rd rebuild.

Neither Tesla nor Edison "invented" AC or DC - both were well known and a bunch of inventors were trying to figure out what to do with electricity.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 01:35:03 AM »
CJ, I reckon yer right about them inventors.  I guess it would be more proper to say they they NAMED the stuff (NOT invented) and were the first sucessful developers.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com