Author Topic: Aged 1851 London Navy  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Aged 1851 London Navy
« on: March 23, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
This started when I put my new Uberti 1851 London Navy into my ultrasonic Hornaday cleaner but accidentally put brass cleaner in the basket. An hour later I had a clean gun...clean of all traces of bluing and most case color!
So I antiqued it. I took the opportunity to remove all the Italian proof marks except the one on the side of the frame as I didn't want to file past the case color foundation. I cleaned all parts well and browned with Laurel Mountain Forge Browning solution purchased from www.trackofthewolf.com. Their instructions were obviously made for places with more humidity than Socal. They say don't heat the metal but it's so dry here, I found that heating parts in the toaster oven helped a lot. Clean the metal, heat and apply a THIN coat of soltion, Wipe off in between coats and reapply as before. When color is to your liking, wash in a bath of Baking Soda solution to neutralize the acid. I then coated carefully inside and out with Ballistol.
I like the effect. Looks like an old museum gun to me but it is nice and slick, smooth and ready to shoot.

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Aged 1851 London Navy
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »
People like the aged look on the cap&ballers. Sometimes a new gun just looks.......well.....too new. :o

That Navy looks like an old well cared for gun. Like Great Granpa left when he went to pushin up daisies.

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
Rifle says...

People like the aged look on the cap&ballers. Sometimes a new gun just looks.......well.....too new

+1
Paladin (What lurvs his C&B pistolas ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:45:43 AM »

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »
Nice recovery after the ultra-sonic cleaner incident Fred. The gun looks good after your refinish, but I sure like the look of a brand-spankin new Uberti London Navy as well. Do you have another to match this one?
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »
Nice recovery after the ultra-sonic cleaner incident Fred. The gun looks good after your refinish, but I sure like the look of a brand-spankin new Uberti London Navy as well. Do you have another to match this one?
Thanks and no I don't have another Navy. I do have a Dance and will have a Rem 1858 belly gun finished in brown.
I'll leave it at a count of three. I really like bluing better but this is fun for a recovery on a screwup.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Fred beautiful look, job well done.  One minor thing if you want it to look like a museum piece - the grips fit.  On every old weathered revolver in a museum I have seen the grips have shrunk some.  Them grips just look too blamed new on this beautiful specimen.   :)
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
Fred beautiful look, job well done.  One minor thing if you want it to look like a museum piece - the grips fit.  On every old weathered revolver in a museum I have seen the grips have shrunk some.  Them grips just look too blamed new on this beautiful specimen.   :)
I am aware of it but can't bring myself to bugger the wood. I'm not making a fake or trying to fool anyone. I just wanted a cheap cure for a moment of dumbass when I stripped them.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
Although I've always wondered why people "antique" reproduction firearms if they mean to portray someone in an era when the firearm would have been new, or nearly so .... this is certainly a case when you had little choice, and makes sense in that situation.

Compare with my original London Navy (Upper Canada issue) ....

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com