Author Topic: New wood for my '76  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
New wood for my '76
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »

I bought a Uberti Winchester Centennial rifle in 45-60 in December, loaded some ammo and enjoyed the first couple of outings with her.  But I could see that the stock and the sights were not conducive to working up decent loads.  So I bought Marbles New Improved tang sight with several staffs and apertures, and restocked the rifle with some nice American walnut.  I simply took the crescent out of the butt and added a 1/2" thick pad ('cause I didn't have a good steel one to suit), and raised the comb line 3/16" at the wrist, and 1/2" at the heel.  Now it shoulders nicely, and when the weather improves, I'll give it another go.

Here's a few pictures of the new wood and some with the old wood alongside to show the difference.  I only know how to do this one picture at a time, so bear with me 'til I can get them all uploaded.

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New wood for my '76
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »

The original thread won't let me modify it to add pictures, so I'll just post them in the reply mode.  The Uberti wood is very nice - figured and interesting colour, and it's completely filled with varnish or plastic, but as I said, it didn't fit me worth a hoot.  I'll see if this will let me add a couple more...

...and as you can see, I've added a set of sling swivels and a sling, to help carry the considerable mass of this great rifle.  The front sight is a Montana Vintaqe Arms low profile globe sight.  I have high hopes for this set of sights, because the open sights that came with the rifle were terribly out of focus for these old eyes, and targets showed it.

Thanks to all who have posted images of their rifles, copies and originals, because it has really helped me come up with the stock design that both is authentic, and is a pleasure to shoot.

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »
Mr. Gabriel Law that is beautiful work!  Thanks for showing the restock!  Hope the rifle brings you many hours of fun!!!

PB

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:31:57 PM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
Looks GREAT!
King Medallion

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
If I may ask, where did you get the stocks? I'd like to do the same with my 66.
King Medallion

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
King M,

I bought my 1876 Rifle shotgun butt stock, for my 1866 alteration, from Faijjn (sp), which I think is owned by Midway now.
Hope this info helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
Nope, not coming up with anything. :(
King Medallion

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »
A friend of mine had a big slab of walnut and we cut the butt and forearm from the one piece.  Even so, the forearm and the butt are not the same colour....go figure.  it didn't occur to me to check out a stock maker...duh!  So I did it the hard way.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 11:24:24 PM »
Didnt mean to hijack your thread. Rifle looks beautiful. Great job on the stocks.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »
Very nice work ! Bet that is a Dandy at the range. Thank's for the look-see,,,,,Dusty

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Believe it or not, I haven't even shot it since the make-over...new sights 'fore and aft' and new wood.  The weather is just now starting to get above freezing and the snow is disappearing fast, so I'm anxious to give her a work out.  I have high expectations for some enjoyable and accurate shooting.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
That is a beautiful piece of work, Gabriel!  I love the shotgun stock on the 1876.  May have to look for one of those.....

GA :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
You may have good luck finding one from a stock carver's web site.  I didn't even think of it when I came to do mine.  I put a new  (and nicely figured) piece of wood on my Colt Lightning too, but kept the crescent butt plate shape.  i simply lengthened the LOP, and since this increased the height of the butt plate, I found an early Hawken repro plate and modified it to resemble my Winchester butt plate.  After it was polished, I rust blued it and it came out very nicely.
I have a sense that these butt stocks were made for people of different stature, or perhaps shooting style, than we of this period.  I'm about 6' 1 1/2" tall with 35" inseams and a long neck, so that little butt stock on each rifle wasn't working for me.  The '76 in particular has a lot of drop in the comb, and that coupled with the short butt stock, made my shooting awkward to say the least.  It felt like my face was sort of floating all over the place, and it was difficult to get a serious hold on the rifle.  The '76's new butt stock has a shotgun style now, and I simply took the crescent out of the butt rather than deliberately trying to make it longer.  Now it is solid on the shoulder, and my cheek has an anchor.  Can't wait to give it a try.
Thanks again for the kind words.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com