Author Topic: .38 Special for 1866  (Read 9430 times)

Offline brudford

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.38 Special for 1866
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
I really wanted an 1860 Uberti Henry in .44WCF , but between the hoarders and Gun Broker profiteers I'am not going to feed the brass, primer, powder shortages ect... I know it is a lot easier to find BP verses smokeless ! I have decided on the Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy in .38 special . From my revolver .38 Special combat league days I have 5 large coffee cans full of .38 Special brass . I already cast my own bullets and have a good supply of 2ff and 3ff BP . I could probably sell off my .38 brass and pay off my mortgage . So the only problem might be finding primers . Any thought on this caliber in the 1866 ? I also might try a set of the .38 Special Cowboy dies from RCBS ? Thanks

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .38 Special for 1866
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
My wife shoots a '66 in .38 Special.  I works well with the 158 gr RNFP bullets I load for it.  I don't know why you would need special cowboy dies - if you have dies for .38 special they'll work fine.  I have been told that this model is picky about over all length of cartridges.  If that's true I must have got lucky - I crimp them in the crimp groove & they feed like they're made for it.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
Any thought on this caliber in the 1866 ? I also might try a set of the .38 Special Cowboy dies from RCBS ? Thanks

I think it's a great, safe bet.  Local store has one for 850.00 so they are around to be had for a decent price.  Oh, and they are really pretty rifles.

Best of luck mate!
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:40:31 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:52:40 PM »
If you don't reduce the Main Spring too much, you can use any primer on the market.  The gun can be very user friendly without taking the springs down ultra lite.

Coffinmaker

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
Keith type semi-wadcutters don't work that well.  They catch up on the chamber mouth. OAL seems fairly flexible.

I use the RCBS RNFP Cowboy bullet but a blunt RN would be OK.  Just try what you've got to see what works.  BP runs through it quite slick.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »
My first CAS Rifle was a Uberti 1866 Winchester in .38 Special. It's a great Rifle but a bit finicky about the overall length.

Since 2007 I've been using a 147 grain TC (truncated cone) .38 Special bullet from Moulton Lead in my 1866 Uberti. It makes for a longer overall length and has been absolutely trouble free.

There is no crimp groove on this bullet. I use LEE standard .38 Special dies along with a LEE factory crimp and end up with an overall length of 1.555". Here is a link to their web site  www.moultonlead.com

I prefer Federal primers but have used Winchester and CCI.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
Any of the cartridges in that picture Johnny posted will feed fine in a modern (made in the last 15 years or so) .38 1866 (or '73 for that matter).  Older guns had a shorter ramp on front of the carrier and needed the longer rounds.  Even modern guns will choke on super short rounds using such as 90gr bullets, etc.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
Only 38 Cal. Lever I ever own was a 1980 [AF] coded 66 Uberti Saddle Ring Carbine....I can't honestly recall ( sold it in 87 ) if I had any feeding issues...
 I recall I was using reloads made by a friend & on occasion some factory loaded Remington Kleanbore 158 grain.

It was more or less a backup to my 44/40 Henry, strange as that seems  :-\ ...
That was early SASS and 38's and light loads, was a coming concept.

Everything in my all Rifles these days has 4 in front ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
I shoot a '66 carbine in .38 sp.  Go for the 158 gr. bullet.  No need to buy the "Cowboy Dies" name, as Stu said. Any .38sp dies will work. In 10 years I have reloaded some of my brass many, many times and have never bothered to trim down neck for length with no  feeding problems (except once . . .).

If shooting real BP, give it a reasonably hard crimp and every three stages or so run a wet patch down the bore. Word to the wise helps.

I've shot Clean Shot, Triple 7 and Trail Boss. Liked 'em all.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com