Author Topic: New Original Henry Rifle  (Read 18915 times)

44caliberkid

New Original Henry Rifle
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
The latest American Rifleman magazine has a picture of new Henry rifle that is going to be manufactured by the Henry Rifle Company.  It is an original style Henry in 44-40 (44 WCF) and will be all American made, as are all Henry products.  I'll be looking forward to early reviews.   I'd certainly rather have a Henry, made by Henry, in a historic caliber, in the United States, than the Miroku (Japanese) 1873 "Winchester" in a caliber that didn't exist prior to 1930.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: New Original Henry Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:21:15 PM »
 ;)

"The latest American Rifleman magazine has a picture of new Henry rifle that is going to be manufactured by the Henry Rifle Company"

My gun review will be in the Winter issue of the NCOWS Shootist ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
Major 2,

I am looking forward to your review.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:27:24 AM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
The latest American Rifleman magazine has a picture of new Henry rifle that is going to be manufactured by the Henry Rifle Company.  It is an original style Henry in 44-40 (44 WCF) and will be all American made, as are all Henry products.  I'll be looking forward to early reviews.   I'd certainly rather have a Henry, made by Henry, in a historic caliber, in the United States, than the Miroku (Japanese) 1873 "Winchester" in a caliber that didn't exist prior to 1930.

Well the made in USA means more to me than the company. This "Henry" company making this rifle is no more part of the original company that produced the Henry than are the ones making the new Winchester marked rifles made by Miroku.

I am still rubbed a little wrong because to this day Henry uses deceit in their adds to lead people to think this is the 150 year old company still producing the same rifles.

I do commend Henry on finally stepping up and attempting to make a product worthy of the name they are using.

I look forward to the Majors review in the Shootist.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
Howdy
Wonder if they would ever build a 66 or a 73 . An all American made ?

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »
Maybe we ought to buy Winchester stock and start putting a little pressure on'm to build stuff here?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
Maybe we ought to buy Winchester stock and start putting a little pressure on'm to build stuff here?

You can probably buy some Winchester stock as collector's items off Ebay.  However, Winchester went out of business over 20 years ago so there isn't any current stock.  Right now one company owns the Winchester name and licenses it to a manufacturer that makes new "Winchester" rifles.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
Cliff - I haven't seen their advertising.  What do they say in their advertising that is deceitful?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »
I see they call themselves a 'descendant' of the Henry company. That's deliberately ambiguous.

Their Henry 'original' looks good, though, in photos.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
Cliff - I haven't seen their advertising.  What do they say in their advertising that is deceitful?
They claim to be descendents of B. Tyler Henry, and the original company. I do know that they used to have a picture of an original 1860 Henry on their catalogs.
From the HRA website.
Today, the Henry Repeating Arms Company, a descendant of the venerable gunmaker, makes its home in Bayonne, New Jersey.
They also have an entire page about the history of the 1860 Henry. This page was on the site before they started selling replicas of the 1860.
All that said, the only thing that would stop me from buying an HRA Henry replica (if I wanted one) is the price. I have had three Uberti Henry rifles and they are well made guns. I just can't see paying $1000 more than a new Uberti for essentially the same thing.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »
They use to also have a photo of Lincoln and his "Henry" rifle.  The name "Henry" was in the public domain so they have done a good job of using it.  Sort of like the Italians stamping original Colt patent dates on their guns.  A lot of newbie cowboy shooters showed up at shoots with their Henry rifles only to find out that they were not the "Henry" rifles. Now that they are actually reproducing a "Henry" rifle, instead of producing a variety of rifles made by Henry, maybe everyone will stop whining.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »
That does sound like a stretch.  Unless they are actually related to Mr. Henry.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 11:37:18 PM »
Cliff - I haven't seen their advertising.  What do they say in their advertising that is deceitful?

Like others have said and you can find some of their commercials they used to run on RFDTV and stuff that insinuate they are decedents of the original Henry company. They end their commercials saying to buy your own piece of history but until this newest firearm mentioned on this thread the company has never made a reproduction of an original Henry or Winchester nore are they any decedent of Henry or US Repeating Arms.

I believe their family has been in the gun business for many years but not related to Henry. They have gotten better but their first adds when the company was first introduced were just a big lie. Now they are truthful but still worded to be somewhat deceitful to the unknowing.

Somewhere I have one of their flyers from the NRA convention when they first opened their doors and it was amazing someone would say the things they did. Had a picture of Abe Lincoln and his Henry rifle and insinuated after 140 years they were still making Henry rifles just like B. Tyler Henry

As Pettifogger said, the Henry name was public domain and they took it and used it well to promote themselves. Trouble is they hurt their credibility to me and many others with the deceit.

If they had been a little more truthful in their wording or started out offering this new rifle it would have been different. With this new rifle they may well be at least doing what their adds say.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 05:48:29 AM »
I see where you are coming from - thanks.  It sounds like they stretched the truth a lot - typical advertising hype.  At least now they are gettting to the point where they can stand on their own merit.  This looks like a beautifully made rifle and a real credit to them.

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 06:36:21 AM »
Hmm, will be the first genuine Henry made in America since 150 years ago (I think).

Umberti, or some other Italian company made on in .44 rimfire back in the 70's or 80's, Dixie used to have them in their catalog,, also .44 rimfire ammo was in there for sale too.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »
Look out for a feller named Skint Flintwood on thier customer postings~ :o

I always knew they were not the original co. but i got two Golden boys from them and i will say that i used to chat with the owner president Anthony (Tony Gun) and he was very kind and helped me slick up my Golden boy once,he got a kick out of Skint Flintwood~ ;) The way it came about i got two,was someone stole my dads 222,and i knew who it was,i went and stole his jeep (yep he signed it over)and sold that darn thing and bought me and my dad a Golden Boy ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 04:18:50 PM »
The present HRA company bought the name "Henry Repeating Arms", as it was available.  Just like the current C Sharps Arms bought the name and "Old Reliable" trademark originally owned by Christian Sharps.  They are legally descendents of the two original companies and entitled to use the names.  Neither claim to be the original company nor do the families claim to be any relation to the original owners.

They do, however, make a very good quality modern reproduction of the guns originally manufactured by those companies.  I don't hear anyone criticizing C Sharps for using the name and trademark.  Why, then, should HRA be criticized for doing the same thing?  ???  If they have enough appreciation of history to want the name, and to then manufacture (in the USA) an accurate replica - then we should all be happy that is so, and do all we can to support them.

Just the view from my saddle........
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
Howdy
Maybe they can buy the Winchester name . Then we can have a American made 1873's and 66's . Sounds good to me .  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
Tried to go to the website earlier and it was down,they will start making thier product in Wisconsin. They said it was due to the storm Sandy,but also New york is going down hard on firearms and manufacturing,best keep our eyes peeled on New York and just heard on the radio today that Jerry Brown the gov.here in Ca. may make a bid for president in 2016,we definatley DON"T want that!!!!!We better turn that runaway herd the other way!!!!! :o
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 09:41:39 PM »
Howdy
Maybe they can buy the Winchester name . Then we can have a American made 1873's and 66's . Sounds good to me .  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I doubt Olin Corporation would be willing to part with it. They got a pretty good gig going on.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com