Author Topic: Serial Number Challenges  (Read 1210 times)

Offline djossi@yahoo.com

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Serial Number Challenges
« on: November 23, 2013, 07:37:40 AM »
Two Flints,

I now have a better understanding of some of the challenges you face in researching individual Spencer serial numbers using the SRS books.

In scanning through some Colt Army Model 1860 revolvers, I came across a picture of one that was lying on top of the sheet from the SRS books containing it's specific serial number. (see below):

The portion of the sheet that's visible shows serial numbers 31549 to 31560 and the units to which several of the revolvers bearing those serial numbers were issued. The data clearly demonstrate some of the problems involved in researching a specific serial number, specifically:

• Of the 12 revolver serial numbers on the list, only four can be linked to a particular unit.
  • The four that can be linked to a unit are spread over three different units.
  • There is a gap of four serial numbers dividing the two pistols issued to the same unit one of which went to another unit.

Given this random distribution, there is no way to know the unit to which any of the other serial numbers on the sheet  might've been issued. Hopefully, the Spencer data is better organized.  Even if it is, I can still see the problems you face in linking a Spencer serial number to a specific unit if it isn't spelled out in the SRS.  As well as the reason you warn anyone whose serial number you do research regarding the problems that exist with the data.

Thanks for all of your efforts--not to mention your investment (a copy of Volume 2 now costs $500 and Volume 3 is $400)!

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Serial Number Challenges
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »
Dave,

Thank you for the post. 

I, too, wish the SRS books were more detailed  :-[ 

It's really unfortunate that original Spencer information, and all other Civil War firearm records, was not better organized, and filed with more detailed information for future generations to study.

Maybe that information still exists somewhere, hidden in the deep, locked vaults of our Federal government :o

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk