Author Topic: Shiney brass?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shiney brass?
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:20:52 AM »
I use a small ultrasonic cleaner to clean my brass. I then rinse them in water and use a hairdrier to dry.

My problem is the brass tends to tarnish quite a lot. Is there a way to get shiney brass without Brasso etc?

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Shiney brass?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:30:34 AM »
An inexpensive vibratory case cleaner with walnut hull media will remove the tarnish and make cases go through your resizing dies more smoothly.  There are longer lasting types of media like ceramic, but low cost walnut hulls work very well for me.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
I've tried everything, and hands down the best method I've found is a rotary tumbler and stainless steel pins.  I've taken brass heavily tarnished by black powder and it comes out looking shiny and new.

It costs a few bucks to get set up, but nothing else produces the kind of results I've gotten.  I started with a vibratory cleaner, then went to ultrasonic + vibratory like ndnchief recommended, then finally to this.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:48:27 PM »

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
I use the same tumblers tumbler with steel pens.  About 1/2 full of water, couple of squirts of liquid dish soap, and a table spoon or two of  lemon shine.     Just like doing the dishes.  About two hours or so, and  the brass comes out like it was brand new.    I have a Lyman media screen set on an old chamber pot that I dump the brass, pens, etc one and screen off the brass.     The brass goes into a  quick hot water bath to get the soap off and on to a bath towel where I role the brass around to get the big water droplets off.   Then into a pie pan and bake at 210 degrees for 12 minutes to dry in an old electric toaster over.    Let cool, and reload just like new brass.    Yeah. It's kind of a pain, but I ain't never had no ammo jam nor misfire!     And my ammo looks brand new.........       I've been playing around with the amount of lemon shine I use and the duration of the tumble to get different cosmetic effects of the brass.  Either a weathered brown or a copper color.  Looks real authentic in the old time card board boxes.   Why yes, I do have way too much time on my hand.................
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com