Author Topic: Projectile shape choices for leveractions.  (Read 2937 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Projectile shape choices for leveractions.
« on: November 06, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »
Hi pards,

What projectile shapes do you prefer for .38 spl?

I starting reloading my Uberti 1873 leveraction with RNFP but it was pointed out to me I was using the lube ring for crimping to not the crimp ring. I used the lube ring so the OAL matched the factory Winchester RN when I set up my press. When I made up some dummy loads using the crimp ring the OAL was too short it and they jammed feeding from the magazine into the elevator. To me this projectile would work perfectly in .357 mag as the ring are 3mm apart.

I've been told by some people to only use RNFP in a leveraction but then other people say it's OK to use RN. I did use factory Federal and Winchester RN when the leveraction was new.

Is it safe to use RN or should I stick to RNFP or FP (which look to be more conical in shape with a FP)?

Thanks.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 279
Re: Projectile shape choices for leveractions.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Since 2007 I've been using a 147 grain TC (truncated cone) .38 Special bullet from Moulton Lead in my 1866 Uberti Winchester. It makes for a longer overall length and has been absolutely trouble free. There is no crimp groove on this bullet.I use a LEE factory crimp and end up with an overall length of 1.555". Here is a link to their web site  www.moultonlead.com
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
With the zero recoil of CAS ammo round noses are probably OK. However, a lot of people start foaming at the mouth about using anything other than flat points in a tubular magazine.  So, it is just as easy to get flat points so better safe than sorry.  There is no problem with crimping in the lube groove.  A lot of people do it.  You can also adjust your seater and crimp die to seat and crimp pretty much anywhere on the bullet.  That's one nice thing about lead bullets.  They are soft enough to crimp where you need to.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:16:54 AM »

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
Thanks all.

Is there much of a difference between using RNFP and FP (looks like a truncated cone)? Actually what is the difference between the two, is it ballistics, easier to feed etc?

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
I use a truncated cone also. And I use a 105 gr crimped in the crimping groove. I cannot imagine a heavier bullet crimped in the lube groove. I can load 125s and crimp in the crimping groove and they will cycle easily.
Ballistics is a broad term. If you mean they "fly" better or they are more accurate, I doubt you could see the difference if they were shot out of a tuned for accuracy single action at SASS distances.

Johhny McCrae is shooting a superior bullet in terms of accuracy. My little 105 has very little surface to really act properly where Johnny's has lots of contact with the lands and grooves.

The most important is the ballistic co-efficient of a bullet. But that is for distance and in SASS is a non-discussion.

Point in fact: Cap and ball revolvers in SASS. Round ball?:)
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
Thank you for the explanation Red. You are quite correct  about the 147 grain TC bullets being accurate. I'm not a very good shot but these bullets do seem to help my accuracy.

I'm crimping this bullet slightly above the lube groove. Attached is a picture and cutaway sketch of what it looks like. As Pettifogger said, lead bullets are soft enough to crimp pretty much anywhere on the bullet.

Most of the time I will use the same 147 grain bullet in my Pistols also.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com