Author Topic: Favorite cap and ball, and why?  (Read 34143 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 156
Favorite cap and ball, and why?
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
OK pards, what is your absolute favorite cap and ball revolver -- the one you would keep if you could have only one, and preferably one that was actually manufactured by Colt, Remington or one of the lesser arms makers (i.e.m no Colt Navys in .44)?
Why do you like it so much?
I've had 51s, 61s, 60s, Remington 58s, dragoons and a Walker. I still like a Navy the best, I think, although I surely do admire a Remington's sights and simple cylinder removal. I just like the Navy's balance, its grip frame and that fact that it was there from 1851 through the end of the percussion era.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
Re: Favorite cap and ball, and why?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
 though I'm very fond of the 51 Navy and have several

It's the 1860 Army ...  Finest artistic design in a revolver ever , the grip,  44 Cal. ( allows for 45 Conversion )

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
Hands down it's the 1861 Navy.  All the balance and pointability of the 1851 Navy with the streamlined look and improvements (ratcheting loading lever & larger lever catch) of the 1860 Army
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:29:45 AM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Fingers, the only reason I'd pick the '51 over the svelte '61 is that it is legit in the early Gold Rush years, while the '61 is not. An important consideration out here on the West Coast.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
though I'm very fond to the 51 Navy and have several

It's 1860 Army ...  Finest artistic design in a revolver ever , the grip,  44 Cal. ( allows for 45 Conversion )

I agree.  With the three screw frame and no cutouts for stock attachments, it's far and away the most elegant looking percussion revolver ever made.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
It would be my Belgium 1860 Colt, made in 1959-60. This one is the civilian model three screw with the silver plated TG & backstrap.
It is now in Hoof Hearted's shop being fitted with a Theur 45 colt cylinder.
Hopefully HH will post a Pix or two when  it is completed. He is re-bluing the barrel to match the new cartridge cylinder.
HH you have my permission to post pix's here.
The Civilian 1860 is the best Colt C&B produced.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
5.5" Colt 1860. Fits my hand and I like the 44 cal.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
My favorite is the Remington NMA.  Fits me like a glove.  And the .44 is nice too.  I like my '51, but the Remington just balances better for me.  The lever flagging catches my fancy as well.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 06:18:01 PM »
I've got to go with the civilian 1860 as well. Heck I've got four of 'em. one ASM, one Uberti and a pair of the Centaures. what can I say, I really hate that fourth screw. Of course that doesn't stop me from having another half dozen or so that have it as well, including a pair of 2nd gen Colts. ;D

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »
Hands down it's the 1861 Navy.  All the balance and pointability of the 1851 Navy with the streamlined look and improvements (ratcheting loading lever & larger lever catch) of the 1860 Army

+1
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
The 3 screw frame did not make the 1860 unique to Civilian Model.
My Original Circa 1862 is a 3 screw frame and w/ inspectors cartouche grip, was issued to the 5th Iowa Cavalry.

Edit..

Re-reading your original post...

" ... the one you would keep if you could have only one, and preferably one that was actually manufactured by Colt, Remington or one of the lesser arms maker"

It would have to be the above.... however, I'd be hard pressed to allow my original Grizwold & Gunnison to leave my stewardship
 because of it's rarity. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »
!860 Colt with grips swapped out with the Navy model.  Had Remington more closely copied the Colt Navy grip shape and size the '58 revolver would have been unstoppable.

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 11:56:44 PM »
Having only four cap'n'balls, I barely qualify to reply.  I've got a Uberti Augusta (1851Colt Navy brasser w/ octagonal barrel), an ASP Beals Remmie (see my avatar), and two Pietta 1862 Police (short '61 Navys with unhistorical fluted barrels, or '62 Polices with unhistorical fluted barrels and 6 shots instead of 5, depending on how you look at them).

The only thing I don't like about the Augusta is that it takes .380 round ball.  .375 is available locally without mail order or casting myself.

By looks, the ASP should be my favorite.  Big, functional, a good shooter, and a good looker.  Engraved, sort of.  A real gunfigher's gun.

But the favorites are the Pietta '62s.  Six shots let's 'em work for CAS, they're short enough to be relatively fast on the draw, and they're good shooters.  Even if they are "fantasy" and with the infamous Pietta tail.  ...And they take .375's I can get locally.  Reliable guns - as long as you've got your cones and caps sorted out.

If I had money for another dozen guns or so, I'd bet I'd fall in line with the historical '61 Navy crowd.  Even if my name is "Octagonal Barrel."
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
Sure appreciate all the replies. It is a sweet misery trying to choose one of these fine shooters. Leaning toward a '51 London this morning, but really like the power and beauty of the 1860, although the grip doesn't fit me like the Navy's does.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
I am with Lefty Dude and Pathfinder: Belgian Centaure "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY" no question about that.
And converted to shoot .44 Colt cartridges, ha.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
Sure appreciate all the replies. It is a sweet misery trying to choose one of these fine shooters. Leaning toward a '51 London this morning, but really like the power and beauty of the 1860, although the grip doesn't fit me like the Navy's does.

Go with the gun that fits you! You will shoot it better and be happier in the long run.

Everything else is just window dressing.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »

If you like the navy grip but the beauty of the 1860 then the 61 navy has all that. Still 36 caliber but if your not hunting with it doesn't matter. 
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
Noz says............
Go with the gun that fits you! You will shoot it better and be happier in the long run.

Could not agree more  ;D

Paladin (What lurvs the 1860 ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

What you should be asking is which one should I get first!   ;) C&B guns are social creatures and do not like to be alone, I vote for an 1860 with navy grips to start off with.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
Well, Cabelas has their Pietta London Navy for $249, plus a coupon, so that's what I ordered. Agree an 1860 with Navy grips would be the nuts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com