Author Topic: Reloading 38spl - how much roll crimp  (Read 6341 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading 38spl - how much roll crimp
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
Hi Pards,

I'm new to reloading and have bought Lee Classic Turret Press kit. I'm going to start the trial and error process of getting everything adjusted this weekend.

As I am reloading 38spl how do I know there is enough roll crimp? Does anyone have pics of too little, too much and what is the right amount of roll crimp?

FWIW it's for both revolver and leveraction.

Thanks

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Reloading 38spl - how much roll crimp
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
You make think this is a non answer but as little as you can get by with. Excessive crimp works the brass to much. Not enough the bullets may move.  In a revolver neck tension alone has worked for me.  You really don't want to crimp two different crimps   start with just a slight radius on the case mouth. Test to see if that works in a rifle. Load mag full shoot 1 lever next one out check to see if bullet worked further in or out. Calipers are your friend.  If that cartridge ok shoot 5 or six check goal of remainder.

If you shoot holy black you may need a pretty firm crimp for mist consitentcy.  That and heavy bullets
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »
When you run your fingernail from the side of the bullet down to the case, you don't want it to "catch" on the edge of the case mouth.  If you crimp too much it may bulge the crimp area and the round may not chamber easily.  If you have any factory ammo you can look at those.  Here's a pic of some of my .38's and a .357.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:02:06 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
The Capt and Abilene are right on. It's always the rule of thumb that the more velocity and pressure you load your rounds too, the heavier the crimp needs to be. With 38 Special, unless you plan on loading +P rounds, you won't need a real heavy crimp. If you are loading for average CAS type lead bullet rds using smokeless powder you won't need a heavy crimp. As the Captain said, with black a firm crimp is needed. I've found and many have reported, that using the Lee Factory Crimp Die produces excellent crimps. I started using them for all the calibers I reload around 5 yrs ago (once in a while for souped up loads in 357 and 44 Mag, I use a roll crimp). Alot of loaders and I'm one, seat the bullet and crimp in two different stages (with the Lee Factory Crimp Die you have to any way), but if I'm using the seating/crimp die that comes with the particular die package, I seat and crimp in two steps. You have more control over the process and less headaches with crimping. The Lee F Crimper is also more forgiving with cases that aren't all trimmed to the exact height. Of course, I don't know how that all effects turret presses as yours (I use a single stage RCBS Rk Chucker). Quess you would just have to adjust the seating die to seat the bullet, run em through, readjust the seating/crimping die, and run the cases through again to crimp. Lottsa luck, I enjoy reloading as much as shooting!!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Joespapa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:38:11 AM »
Hi Pards,

I'm new to reloading and have bought Lee Classic Turret Press kit. I'm going to start the trial and error process of getting everything adjusted this weekend.

As I am reloading 38spl how do I know there is enough roll crimp? Does anyone have pics of too little, too much and what is the right amount of roll crimp?

FWIW it's for both revolver and leveraction.

Thanks

When I started six months ago I used a factory round as my guide. I adjusted my FCD until it matched perfectly. I've since loaded a a thousand or rounds with no problems! You will LOVE your Lee Turret Press.
JP

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
The Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) has been mentioned a few times.  I also use the Lee Turret press, originally a 3-hole unit.  So I used the combination seating/crimp die (all Lee dies).  In 45LC and 44 Spcl it would often shave some lead during the seat/crimp stroke, so I upgraded the press to the 4-hole unit and got FCD's for those two calibers, and also use the FCD for crimping 32-20 and 44-40.  But I never had a problem with loading 38 spcl and .357 and so I continue to seat and crimp at the same time for those calibers, leaving the 4th hole empty.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com