Author Topic: Metering Trail Boss  (Read 9167 times)

Offline ncmeatgrinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Metering Trail Boss
« on: October 07, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »
OK both my .45 and 44-40 like Trail Boss loads. The only problem is my old Lyman Powder measurer does not meter the Trail Boss at all. Is anyone having success metering Trail Boss ? What powder meter are you utilizing?

Thanks.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
Re: Metering Trail Boss
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
I know at first I had trouble with it in my Dillion. It would not fall when it should have and then spill bits everywhere.

Then it occurred to me to try the large powder bar since the powder is so bulky. Even though I throw less than 6 grains it works perfect in the powder bar for 20 grains and up.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
My Dillon measure throws Trail Boss at 6.1 grs accurately and consistently with the small bar- go figure.

Only calibre where I like it is .45 Colt.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:18:06 PM »

Offline ncmeatgrinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »
Looks like the Dillon would take the entire Dillon set up (which I do nto have) as it does not have a throw handle.  Anyone using a non auto powder dispenser with Trail Boss successfully?

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »
No problems with a Redding BR.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:57:12 AM »
I have the Lee Pro Disk system and Lee Perfect Powder Measure with both handling Trailboss fine for me. I actually find it very consistent in loading both my 45-70 (PPM) or 45 Colt (PDS).
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
The only problem is my old Lyman Powder measurer does not meter the Trail Boss at all.

Just a thought, but in the Lyman are you using the main, large slide for your primary adjustment?  The smaller slides should only be used for very minor changes.  When the large slide is used, it creates a deep cavity for the powder that meters well.  The smaller slides make a wide, shallow opening that does not handle some powders as well.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
I have the Lee Pro Disk system and Lee Perfect Powder Measure with both handling Trailboss fine for me. I actually find it very consistent in loading both my 45-70 (PPM) or 45 Colt (PDS).
Ditto for me
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
Just a thought, but in the Lyman are you using the main, large slide for your primary adjustment?  The smaller slides should only be used for very minor changes.  When the large slide is used, it creates a deep cavity for the powder that meters well.  The smaller slides make a wide, shallow opening that does not handle some powders as well.

+1

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 01:12:21 PM »

This is the same thing I experienced with the Dillion. In order for it to meter correctly you have to use the slide designed for 20 to 60 grains even though I'm throwing 5.7 grains of Trail Boss.

The shallow slide has to be all the way open and the fluffy powder hangs and bridges without falling.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
I find I have to keep adding powder to my#55 to keep it nearly full to get consistent charges. With 11.5gr in my milsurp rifle calibers, I add after about every 20 charges at least, 10 may be better. Also, with mine I work the lever gently and not use the knocker. Either using the knocker or "thunking" the lever seem to be less consistent with Trailboss.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
Pony Express - have you added a powder baffle to your Lyman?  I put one in mine about 5 years ago and it helps with consistency by diverting the weight of the powder column to each side of the baffle.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
I thought about getting one, but I never really had much problem with it before Trailboss.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »
I have been using my RCBS Little Dandy Powder measure with 4 different rotors to measure Trail Boss with very uniform loads and no trouble at all.
Reno NCOWS #810

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
As was ststed above, I have a Lee classic 4 hole turret press with a Lee powder pro. Trail boss meaters through it just fine. I will use a digital scale to check my loads about every 10 to 15 rounds and rarely does it vary more than a 10th of a gn. Usually to the high side when it does. Since I am reloading 38 specials, I run to the middle of the road so I dont worry about a 10th over. Trail Boss for 38 special runs from 2.8 gns to 4.2 and I run 3.6 to 3.8 on my loads. I also found that a 1.0 cc powder measure when level with top is a perfect 4.6 gns on Trail Boss.
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
My old Lyman, new in 78, throught perfect charge every time with Trail Boss.
King Medallion

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »
My Trail Boss loading is mostly with 45 Colt and 44 Special ammo. I use a RCBS Uniflow powder measure (purchased in 76') that throws accurate doses of whatever powder I 'dump' in her. Once in a while with some of the flake powders such as Unique, Red Dot, etc, I can feel the 'cutting' of the flakes when I work the handle, but never had any problems with TrailBoss. Like Dastardly Den, I check every 15 throws for accuracy, which never varies plus/minus .1 of a grain, mostly to the plus side. For plinking or CAS shooting, at 25 yards or less, this isn't going to affect accuracy one bit. If I load any 'high power' rifle rds where I want really top notch 1" or less, I just set it to toss a little less than needed and finish it off with a powder trickler. My RCBS scale, made by Ohaus of '73 vintage is similar to the current RCBS 1010 in design, still has the written price of $15.30 on the cardboard box I store it in. Great scale, have checked it with known weights, weighs right to the N'th degree yet.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com