Author Topic: New 36 Navy slicked up.  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New 36 Navy slicked up.
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
Got a new Uberti .36 Navy and couldn't wait to molest it. As always I disassembled and used spray parts cleaner to remove all Uberti preservatives.  I notched the rear sight, opened the cylinder nipple slots and added Slix Shot nips, Polished the hammer and smoothed the front edges, polished the interior of the frame and parts and added a wire bolt spring. I refinished the grips in oil, fitted them a tad closer and put a copper tube spacer between them and over the grip screw. The tight grip always bothers me on Rems so I relieved the back side of the trigger guard and then slimmed down and rounded the whole guard so the thin backside is not so noticeable. Made for a more graceful trigger guard. I installed a SAA main spring I had hanging around and adjusted the tension screw so it just busts caps. About four hours work with a dremel, sand paper and polishing tools.
I had one interesting issue. When the gun was new, I had a difficult time getting the hand and hammer out. Turns out that the space in the frame where the hammer goes back toward the butt so you can align the hand and the hole in the hammer to drop in a screw was very tight. I had to narrow the back of the hammer where the wheel is to allow it to move where it needs to. Disassembling it new, the hammer had to be dragged out of the frame. Also had burrs along the hammer channel and pin opening in the recoil shield along with a difficult to remove cylinder pin which needed slimming. Whew.

Shown here with it's .44 cousin. Note I didn't go as far on the trigger guard on the .44 New Army.
I originally thought I'd crop the Navy barrel to six inches but I think it will stay long.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: New 36 Navy slicked up.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
You should consider custom SA gunsmithing........

That turned out real nice, from the outside anyway.   I imagine it feels real nice, too.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
You should consider custom SA gunsmithing........

That turned out real nice, from the outside anyway.   I imagine it feels real nice, too.

--TK
Thank you. It looks good but the real motivation is to smooth the action. Gritty works annoy me. I love the challenge of doing this but arthritis is not your friend so I must limit what I do. The challenge is to figure it out, listen to others,  and develop the skills so you don't Bubba something and save a few bucks. But if you had to make a living with it, I don't know how I'd feel about a never ending trail if Italian clones waiting for me to do the same thing to them. I guess gunsmiths like variety too.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:54:35 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com