Author Topic: Who am I? #18  (Read 6961 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Who am I? #18
« on: June 04, 2004, 02:01:31 PM »
Who is standing next to General Patton? He and his father are the only other father/son recipients of the Medal of Honor.
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Who am I? #18
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 02:19:20 PM »
Who is standing next to General Patton? He and his father are the only other father/son recipients of the Medal of Honor.
Teddy JR.  Roosevelt that is.  Rather appropriate as he recieved his Medal for his actions day after tomorrow 60 years ago.
I believe he was played by Henry Fonda in the Longest Day.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 02:28:29 PM »
Teddy JR.  Roosevelt that is.
Technically, Teddy III, but was known as Teddy Jr because Teddy I died 9 years before he was born.

Below is the text of the Medal of Honor citation:
CITATION:

For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in France. After 2 verbal requests to accompany the leading assault elements in the Normandy invasion had been denied, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt's written request for this mission was approved and he landed with the first wave of the forces assaulting the enemy held beaches. He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the sea wall and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self sacrifice. Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strong points and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:07:35 PM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 02:34:53 PM »
Here is the text of Teddy Sr's Medal of Honor citation:
Rank and Organization: Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army.    Place and Date: July 1, 1898 near Santiago de Cuba, Republic of Cuba.    Birth: Oct. 27, 1858 at New York, N.Y.  Home State:   New York.   Date of Issue: 16 January 2000

Citation:

Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt distinguished himself by acts of bravery on 1 July, 1898, near Santiago de Cuba, Republic of Cuba, while leading a daring charge up San Juan Hill.   Lieutenant Colonel Roosevelt, in total disregard for his personal safety, and accompanied by only four or five men, led a desperate and gallant charge up San Juan Hill, encouraging his troops to continue the assault through withering enemy fire over open countryside.  Facing the enemy's heavy fire, he displayed extraordinary bravery throughout the charge, and was the first to reach the enemy trenches, where he quickly killed one of the enemy with his pistol, allowing his men to continue the assault.   His leadership and valor turned the tide in the Battle for San Juan Hill.   Lieutenant Colonel Roosevelt's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 02:38:42 PM »
Teddy JR.  Roosevelt that is.  Rather appropriate as he recieved his Medal for his actions day after tomorrow 60 years ago.
You are right on both accounts. I saw the Longest Day a couple of week ago. After I saw it, I looked him up in the Encyclopedia. That is where I found the info on the Medal of Honor.

Slim

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 04:26:06 PM »
You are right on both accounts. I saw the Longest Day a couple of week ago. After I saw it, I looked him up in the Encyclopedia. That is where I found the info on the Medal of Honor.

Slim
Another interesting thing is Jr. got his first.  Teddy Sr. got his posthumously a couple years ago. 
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 04:27:42 PM »

Slim
Another interesting thing is Jr. got his first.  Teddy Sr. got his posthumously a couple years ago. 
I thought that was a little strange, also.

Slim

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »
Before I posted a reminder that the anniversary of D-Day is tomorrow I searched cascity.  This is what I found, an oldie but a goodie.

BTW;  Canadian troops advanced farther inland than any other formation.  The local reserve infantry unit, The Canadian Scottish Regiment, went roughly twice the distance than their assigned objective.  The whole effort was an amazing feat of arms on everyones behalf.

On June 6 each year I like to drink some Calvados, the apple brandy of the Normans.  About a dozen years ago A French Canadian L/Col told of his unit's experience that day.  The battalion's predominant accent was "Normandaise".  When local farmers heard the familiar sound they rushed to dig up the best Calvados that had been hidden from the Germans.  It certainly raised the spirits of those soldiers!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »
If you ever have a chance to walk the beaches of Normandy, you will come away with an enhanced sense of respect for our Fathers and Grandfathers.  Those men who fought their way inland were all heros.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »
They're talking about putting up wind turbine generators offshore of the Normandy beaches. saw it on the news a bit ago. Has a bunch of the Vets. organizations up in arms over it ::) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
My father was just a few feet away from him when he died, from what I understand. My Dad was 4th Infantry and landed at Utah beach.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com