Author Topic: Cleaning with Hornaday Ultrasonic?  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cleaning with Hornaday Ultrasonic?
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
Has anyone has success cleaning black powder pistol parts in a Hornaday (or any other brand) Ultrasonic brass and parts cleaner?
I've tried twice. First with Hornadays parts cleaner. No go.
Second was with plain water and Dawn dish detergent. Things were semi clean. Oddly, the parts felt greasy. The black powder muck has clumped up like those pictures of oil spilled on gulf beaches. Still had quite a cleaning job. I would have been quicker to get out the Ballistol and paper towels.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Cleaning with Hornaday Ultrasonic?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »
I shoot nothing but black powder and have been using a Hornady Magnum Ultrasonic cleaner on the for a couple of years with great results.  The Hornady gun parts cleaning product works well, but I've changed and use Moose Milk to clean them.  I take the gun apart, put in the tank and and a dash of Ballistol to the water.  I let the ultrasonic cleaner run about an hour.  Then I pull the parts out, blow off with my air compressor, lube the cylinder pin with neat Ballistol, spray a dash of Ballistol into the action, run a couple of patches down the barrel, reassemble, wipe down with a Remoil wipe and am good to go.  I've never had a hint of rust and the guns are squeaky clean.

I've done this with 58 Remingtons, Ruger Old Army's, Colt Dragoons and Model P's.  The guns are cleaner and it's the easiest method I've found.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »
I have the big ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from Harbor Freight (I think it is exactly the same as the one with the Hornady label).  It works great for pistol cylinders & rifle carriers.  I fill it with water, add a little Ballistol, turn on the heat & put the cylinders & cylinder pins in the bath.  They soak in the hot moose milk while I clean the shotgun.  When I take the rifle apart, I put the lifter in the bath & run the 480 second ultrasonic cycle.  By the time I have the rifle clean & reassembled, the cylinders are done.  I clean the revolver barrels & frames, then the cylinders & pins.

The BP residue (I use Goex exclusively) rinses off under the faucet.  All you have to do is dry them good (I use a paper towel & compressed air), run a patch down each chamber, then spray all over with straight Ballistol & wipe them down.  I can clean 7 guns (my girlfriend also shoots BP) in about 2 hours.

Holler
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:36:12 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com