Author Topic: C&B speed loaders?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
C&B speed loaders?
« on: October 12, 2005, 07:09:31 PM »
I am thinking about getting back into shooting my '58s and remembered seeing Howdy Doody using a red rubber cap, similar to the protective cap on a Dewy rod, to hold a pre-measured powder charge and ball.  Can anyone tell me where I can find them and what size I would need for .452 balls?

Thanx

Modoc
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Capt. Augustus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: C&B speed loaders?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:23:19 PM »
Dixie Gun Works carries them.  They are called speed loaders and are made out of vinyl.  Th .44 caliber are yellow in color and come 50 to a bag.

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 03:44:54 AM »
You can also carry spare cylinders and preload them in advance, just wait to cap em until you are at the loading table.  My belt has loops for 3 spare cylinders, and I have a speedloader case that holds 2 more.  Add 1 in the gun and thats 6 cap n ball cylinders I can have ready to go when I start a match, if I need that many.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:23:03 PM »

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 11:23:18 PM »
Thanks, Pards!

I think that it will be the DGW Speed Loaders.  Kurt N Kleimer's diapers have taken hold of the discressionary funds ;).  At the moment, it is a non-issiue, because tomorrow is our last shoot of the year.  We shall see what the new year brings.

Modoc
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 03:08:05 AM »
Great observation Modoc. Yes I use the yellow ones for my 454 balls for my 58 remmies and I use them for the 457s for the ROAs too. I got mine from Dixie Gun Works and I have never hurt one yet in the two years or so I have had them. I have lost a couple though. I like the fact that I can use a scoop at home to put exactly the amount of powder I shoot in the vinyl tube and then just stuff a ball on top. I grab them out of the guncart like you would cartridges and loading goes pretty smooth for me. I just work the ball out of the tube with my thumb and squeezw the loading tube into a bit of a funnel and then just pour. That way I can hold the pistol with my other hand. I always had odd charges with flasks. I could feel the difference when shooting. This way you can have exactly the same charge every time.
BTW, for 36 caliber shooters Dixie has some white colored ones that work the same.
Modoc, it seems like forever since we have shot with each other. I sure hope we can get together soon and duel it on out C&B style.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 07:36:16 AM »
I'll second Howdy's comments.  I do it the same way and use both the .44 and .36 cal tubes.  Like Howdy, I load up the tubes at home.  At a shoot it is a simple matter to just squeeze the ball out and pour in the powder. 

I usually take over the unloading table after I've shot, and reload the cylinders (but not cap) between shooters.  Using the tubes, the work goes pretty fast.

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Paper Cartridges Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 08:30:40 AM »
I'm sure this has probably been covered,  but my idea of a speed loader for C&B pistols are paper cartridges.  And extremely cheap to make too!

Here is an outstanding how-to article:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=144094

Here are a couple pics of the ones I made for my Remington:

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 08:58:25 AM »
Great Post!

I would think that this is somewhat similar to the way it might have been done back in the 1860s, tho every other "how-to-roll-yer-own-paper-cartridges" article I've seen uses a conical projectile, not a round ball.

Thanks for posting!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 09:56:04 AM »
What I do is use .223 cases.  Charge 'em then cap 'em off with 7/32" automotive vacuum caps.  They slip right into plastic cartridge boxes.

The small, bottle-neck case acts like a funnel and that's an advantage when you're loadin' a .36 with the cylinder in the frame.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 10:02:05 AM »
223 cases?  You're not only loading efficiently, but you're recycling, too!

The green movement would be proud of you. ;) :D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 12:15:44 PM »
Johnrtse, great link pard. I really enjoyed that. That would be how they did it in the good ol' days. No vinyl stuff for them back then. Thanks.
Arcey, you do what I would never have thought of. That is a solution and a half right there. Good tip.

:)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com