Author Topic: Newbie chiming in about the sport  (Read 13636 times)

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie chiming in about the sport
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:45:13 AM »
Hi all, I am MedicineMan.
That's not just my SASS handle, but the CB handle I have used as a trucker since 1989.
(I'm halfblood Choctaw, and used to be a Paramedic.... thus "MedicineMan".)

I became interested in CAS way back in the 90's, but time and $$$$ kept me from going for it until now.
I'm sorry I waited, as things (and prices) have changed just a little in the past 20 years.... LOL

Most of my outfit I already had in my closet or gun room.
A cross between "cowboy" and "post-removal Choctaw Indian".
It may not be 100% NCOWS but I like it and it looks good.

I have yet to get all my guns together at this point.
I have a Ruger Blackhawk 38/357, my 16ga Sears double that was bought for me when I was 1yo by my grandfather (I'm looking for another in 12ga that isn't a heirloom), and I have yet to get a .40cal+ rifle (i plan to shoot wild bunch).
(Or I might just use my singlebore 16ga that I paid $35 for in 1987.) I reload for the 16 so ammo isn't a big deal.

I have a Wild Bunch III from Cochise for my Colt 1911A1, and a Triple K Buscadero for the Ruger. (looking at a crossdraw for 2nd AND another Ruger.

I lack the 97 (or 12), rifle, and a couple other Misc things.

But then I read some folks talking about modifications and tuning and "getting the edge"...... and am kinda disappointed that SASS/CAS is seeming to take the same route as other type matches have.

I got out of pin shooting and other modern matches cause the "super sports" took over and those who didn't have multiple thousand dollar guns/rigs just couldn't compete with any chance of winning.
It became so bad that some new guys were heckled for showing up with "duty rigs" at matches.
I did a match locally in 2001 and was flat told I was just wasting my time with a Ruger P90 and my RRA AR15 cause they weren't "decked out" and tuned.

The FUN factor was soon "ZERO", so I (and a LOT of others) left and don't compete any more.
The last competition I shot, I took 2nd place in the MS NMM annual with my daughter's Ruger P89DC that I had only put about 5 rounds through previously.

I hope I can find a local group that has avoided these pitfalls.
Cause I plan to play this game and have fun, even if I am the worst shooter EVER and have to apologize every time for being too slow..

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Newbie chiming in about the sport
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:39:25 AM »
Always keep in mind that our perennial Champion, Badlands Bud, has won the World Championship with stock, borrowed (!) guns.

Smooth guns make shooting more pleasurable.  But, practice and skill-development win matches.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »
I've been shooting CAS since '97. I loathe the race guns but enjoy the shooting. I just don't compete against them and do the best I can in my category. You will find enough Wart Hogs and people who try to do it the old way that you will have fun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:43:05 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
Welcome.
The objective of this sport is to have fun. I am not out to win, just to have fun.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:56:38 AM »
Thanks guys.
I sure hope so, cause I'm beyond being all serious competition, and really into friends and fun.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
yawnnnnnn. I smell a dead horse ;D.

I started in SASS in 2000 at the age of 59. Don't know if I was a little early or way too late. And, as usual, I jumped in the competition. Hours of dry firing. Hours of slowly drawing the strong hand, dry fire once, and slowly holstering. Hours and hours. I placed firearms on the couch/bed/chair and practiced transitions for hours and hours.
Back then I competed with 20 year old Olympians and slow moving octogenerians. At 59 and a gimpy old/young guy, I purposed to make the difference in what I lose with my feet be made up in my hands.Then I turned 60.
Until the last year or so, I wasn't satisfied with just a class winner. I wanted overall. And I got some. And I practiced. And practiced. No brag, just fact. I have won Senior and/or Silver Senior in most all states from Maryland to Florida. I won at MuleCamp. I wn Senior at North Carolina State five years running. Then I went to EOT. And I won there. I am almost as proud of my 35th place in a World shoot as the winner of Silver Senior.
Hi, my name is Red Cent and I a
m    a gamer. I never cheat.
All firearms tuned by the best. Dude-A-Matics and Cody-Matics. I shoot three screw Rugers. 357/38. Originally owned by Cody. Then Dude. You imagine how smooth they are. Only Federal primers in my guns. Custom holsters from Mernickle and Rod Kiebler. SASS is what you make it. If you are on the same posse with Rattle Snake Wrangler, don't criticize. Be amazed. I am.
  http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rattle+snake+wrangler&qpvt=rattle+snake+wrangler&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=ECF1CCCDEF984C33FCC5ECF1CCCDEF984C33FCC5
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
yawnnnnnn. I smell a dead horse ;D.

I started in SASS in 2000 at the age of 59. Don't know if I was a little early or way too late. And, as usual, I jumped in the competition. Hours of dry firing. Hours of slowly drawing the strong hand, dry fire once, and slowly holstering. Hours and hours. I placed firearms on the couch/bed/chair and practiced transitions for hours and hours.
Back then I competed with 20 year old Olympians and slow moving octogenerians. At 59 and a gimpy old/young guy, I purposed to make the difference in what I lose with my feet be made up in my hands.Then I turned 60.
Until the last year or so, I wasn't satisfied with just a class winner. I wanted overall. And I got some. And I practiced. And practiced. No brag, just fact. I have won Senior and/or Silver Senior in most all states from Maryland to Florida. I won at MuleCamp. I wn Senior at North Carolina State five years running. Then I went to EOT. And I won there. I am almost as proud of my 35th place in a World shoot as the winner of Silver Senior.
Hi, my name is Red Cent and I a
m    a gamer. I never cheat.
All firearms tuned by the best. Dude-A-Matics and Cody-Matics. I shoot three screw Rugers. 357/38. Originally owned by Cody. Then Dude. You imagine how smooth they are. Only Federal primers in my guns. Custom holsters from Mernickle and Rod Kiebler. SASS is what you make it. If you are on the same posse with Rattle Snake Wrangler, don't criticize. Be amazed. I am.
  http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rattle+snake+wrangler&qpvt=rattle+snake+wrangler&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=ECF1CCCDEF984C33FCC5ECF1CCCDEF984C33FCC5

Impressive accomplishments.
Congrats.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:12:36 PM »
Thank you but my point was not what I did. The point that any game is simply what it is. I wish I could compete in USPSA. But there ain't no place for a gimpy 71 year old in USPSA.

SASS is the best thing around. Nostalgia, costumes, leather, gunsmoke, and the............timer!!!
SASS29170L

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »
Thank you but my point was not what I did. The point that any game is simply what it is. I wish I could compete in USPSA. But there ain't no place for a gimpy 71 year old in USPSA.

SASS is the best thing around. Nostalgia, costumes, leather, gunsmoke, and the............timer!!!

Those would be the reasons I am drawn to it ...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW - I forgot one handgun..... Ruger Old Army, 1985 Mfg, Blued, but has the adjustable sights.
I wonder if it would look too weird to shoot the ROA along with the RBH til my $$$$ situation improves???
Would I be disallowed, eccentric, or just silly???

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »
You can shoot the adjustable sight ROA in any category that allows adjustable sights.  It is not legal in Frontiersman, which requires non-adjustable sights, but is legal in many other SASS categories.  BP can be used in any category.  As far as "competition" remember that CAS IS a competition.  We use timers and keep score.  Any time you have a competition, people compete.  Some are content to just show up and throw rounds downrange.  That is fine.  However, don't get into the mindset that anyone that practices and tries to excel is somehow diminishing your fun.  If someone is NOT concerned with competition then it shouldn't make any difference what anyone else is doing.  Have fun but don't get into the us vs. the "gamers" BS.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
I would certainly think that a local club would let you shoot without a problem. Now, if you wind up third or fouth or better, there may be som lenghty discussion. :o
SASS29170L

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »
I would certainly think that a local club would let you shoot without a problem. Now, if you wind up third or fouth or better, there may be som lenghty discussion. :o

Shouldn't be, as long as all the guns are legal for the chosen category.

I'd reccomend "Cowboy" - age based, not equipment or clothing specific, but still open to young & old alike.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »
Hey Brother:

First, I love the handle.  

Second, you get gamers and you get guys who like the historicity and the fun.  Hang with the fun ones, appreciate the others, and to heck with any one who is uptight.

The NCOWS folks tend to be more just fun and history, might try that route, but my main goal was to make friends and meet people I might vintage hunt with and so far, so good.

Hope you find something fun to do buddy, best of luck,

Mean Bob Mean
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 01:43:23 AM »
I can be competitive.

Sometimes TOO much so in my past.
I once shot pin matches at a club where there was 5 bowling pins on a table 5' wide and 4' deep.
Time started with "GO", and ended when pins were off table on ground.
The revolver and pistol shooters used 38 and 9mm a LOT and took many shots to get them off the table.

I went out and bought a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag "to gain the edge", and went from "also competed" to 1st and 2nd place every match.
My times went down to under 4.5 seconds, and it was rare to fire more than 5 shots.
That gun would blast a pin 4' off the back of the table. LOL :D ;D :o

Several guys quit shooting against me if I showed up.
Some quit and went to plates instead.
My little plastic trophies didn't make up for the loss of having them shoot with me/us.
I was 18y/o and had learned an important lesson.

I wanna win as much as anyone.
I like to compete.
I want be competitive, I want to win, and I strive to be best in what I do.

BUT.... I'm not gonna make that the focus of my life, or the measure of my success.

I also "pick at" the guitar... but I'm not as good as Marty Stuart. And I give him his due as his talent deserves it.
(I have played his guitar though. And it still didn't improve my playing one bit..... :-\  LOL)

My comment was that "I" have as much fun socializing as I do shooting.
I also don't mind killing a deer when I go to camp with a group.
But I still enjoy the gathering/socializing we have ... even if I get skunked.

My apologies to anyone I offended by suggesting winners aren't "fun" if all they care about is the win.
My apologies to anyone I offended by suggesting "whizbang" equipment can take away from the fun for some folks.

I'm sure you all are great folks.
Hope I can show what I'm about also.
I will just have to see for myself about the matches and go from there.

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 01:49:17 AM »

I'm sure there would be.
But I'm long over arguing about small things.
I'd rather just give it to them than "make trouble".

BTW... I really like some of the ROA's I have seen from SASS members.
I thought I was the only guy who ever bought one for years.
I really LOVE mine, and have shot pins and plates with it... also used it to kill a few deer over the years.

The BIG surprise was how much $$$$$ they have gone up over the years.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
I totally agree with the "fun" factor. Traveling the east coast with a contingent of 15-20 cowboys and cowgirls was really fun.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Fluffy%20-%20public/IMG_0382.jpg

I could carry 20 long guns and all the equipment for the cowboys and cowgirls.

There was always 5 or 6 with me in the diesel van. We got to the matches Wednesday and "gathered around the FluffyHauler (trailer). Or inside with rain, inside with heat if it was cold, and set up a shelter if the sun was out.

In WV, we backed up all the autos in the motel parking lot (total 14 rooms) and Del Rio Donna and Stinky Jim fixed Bananas Foster.

Yes, we consumed a bunch of adult beverages.

Crackerbarrel would call me if we didn't show up for breakfast by 7:00 on weekends. Outback and Texas Roadhouse loved the look when the gang strolled in, sweaty and in full regalia. Have fun? I had more fun that should be allowed. Heck, they had a special herd for us to get fresh prime rib and filets.

If one is not is not fretting about winning, why care about us that "compete"?

Hi, my name is Red Cent and I am a gamer.
SASS29170L

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
MedicineMan, I hear you!

I'm also "gearing up" for this sport, except for me, I had nothing at all (except Levis, and even then, they all have belt loops!)
So I had to buy 4 guns, two of which I still don't have in my hands due to California's bizarre laws (I can only buy one new handgun every 30 days, and even then I have to wait 10 days to get each one...so 40 days wait!!)

I also shoot USPSA. Yes, there are massive gamers, BUT there are also game divisions AND classes. So if you shoot "production division" you shoot an off the shelf gun with minimum modifications. YOu can slick up the guns of course, but that usually means an action/trigger job, but for something like a Glock (the dominant gun in USPSA production division) there isn't really much you can do. Then you have the "Open" division where the $3000 guns go. For fun, most people stick to the production or single stack (1911) or revolver divisions. Gamers go to the Open or Limited divisions... so it keeps normally equiped folks apart from the gamers.

Then you have "classes" so if you are a mediocre shooter, you might be D class or C class and you score is based on your class, which is based on your previous shooting scores. This is great because casual shooters tend to shoot against others of similar skill, and super gamers shoot against super games, and based on their equipment.

The problem is "sandbaggers". So if you are actually a really good shooter and you SHOULD be an A or Master class shooter, when you shoot the scoring (classification) stage, you purposely screw it up so that you don't advance to the next class. This means in official matches, which has prizes, you are cheating because you keep your competition to the people who actually shoot in a class below you, versus people of similar skill. Sort of like holding back an 8th grader so next year he plays baseball against other 8th graders instead of 9th graders, where he should be.

But it's great fun to watch people sandbagging and seeing the creative ways they purposely prevent themselves from moving up in the classes.. failing easy shots, shooting things out of order, etc.

OK, but back to Cowboy stuff, I  think everyone wants to be competitive. How badly you want it also reflects how well you do. I pretty much never practice my USPSA skills, I just like walking around with a gun in a holster running around shooting targets. As a result, I'm not even classified! For cowboy shooting, I'll approach it the same way...honestly, I want to dress like a cowboy and shoot from a holster...what fun! Do I want to be competitive? Well, it's human nature to want to improve. Do I want to spend a crapton for slicking up my guns? No, but if I can do things myself, I consider that fair game. If I tune my gun myself, then ...sure, why not? That's part of the game too, right? I mean if you slick up your gun OR you go to work, earn your pay and decide to give some of it to a gunsmith, then that's your choice and your way of helping in the game!

Consider this too ... even if you go and shoot against amazing slicked up competitors ... that should just make it more fun. It's awesome to watch good shooters, with their slick guns. It gives you a target (so to speak) for your own performance. And what the heck, go give it your best shot and enjoy yourself! Thats what I plan to do.

OK, sorry, long winded rambling reply ....

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »
I am a newbie in Australia, have my required 4 guns and shot my first club match a few weeks ago. I'm now venturing into reloading.

Shooting with your own equipment is so much more fun then shooting other peoples as you don't feel like a "burden" even though people would practically throw their guns at you to try.

The temptation to slick up my guns is very strong and I even have a short list of what to buy and where to buy it. If only my bank balance stretched that far. So for now they will remain stock standard and it's going to be practice practice practice.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »
I am a newbie in Australia, have my required 4 guns and shot my first club match a few weeks ago. I'm now venturing into reloading.

Shooting with your own equipment is so much more fun then shooting other peoples as you don't feel like a "burden" even though people would practically throw their guns at you to try.

The temptation to slick up my guns is very strong and I even have a short list of what to buy and where to buy it. If only my bank balance stretched that far. So for now they will remain stock standard and it's going to be practice practice practice.
Welcome to CAS.
The more you shoot them the slicker they will get.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline offthehook

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »
After being involved in the clay target sports at all levels of fun and competition for over 50 Years I had the misfortune of trading a bunch of great Winchester shotguns for a pair of Colt SAA Army pistols and a Uberti 1873 rifle in 45 colt and it was all downhill from there.

But , my perspective as a new CAS shooter here in CT has been very positive. I have shot at all 4 CT venues and found all to be very welcoming, helpful and very mindful of the cost for new shooters to get involved.  I believe they all show good latitude for shooters in terms of equipment and clothing.  This is important if we are to continue to grow the number of shooters, especially young guns with lots of other responsibilities.

It is important that all clubs be open to all shooters needs. I mean that for me, I am a competitor but understand that I may never win a large match, but must also be sure that those " gamers" or whatever you want to call them have there place and are just as welcome.  As long as we can accept "tolerate" all different shooters and styles we will be successful. Some come to Learn, some for fun, and some real serious competitors. They are all welcome.

Have seen this in Sporting clays where the top shooters would set up courses so difficult for the average shooter that they began to stay away.  That is why we set up A and B courses so all can have what they want.

I ramble, but I guess my point is that I found very friendly and welcoming people in the CAS world. I have not hung up my clays guns but have a full CAS schedule this year including three state And regional shoots this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com