Author Topic: Question about rifle quality  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Charlie Cloud

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about rifle quality
« on: June 04, 2004, 12:01:49 AM »
A few questions only for those inclined to answer.  Feel free to ignore.

I want an 1873 clone with a 30" barrel, as perfect in form and function and durability as is possible on the market today.

1.   Is the only manufacturer Uberti, with several different importers (Cimmeron, Taylor, etc.) or is there another manufacturer?

2.    If Uberti is the only game in town, do the different importers cherry-pick Uberti's stock?

3.    If the importers cherry-pick Uberti's stock, which one pays Uberti to get the best pick?

4.  Would Uberti USA have an advantage over the other importers?

5.    I once heard the originals were never in .45 because the rim was too small for proper functioning in the 1873.  Is this true?  If so, how was this problem overcome for the modern clone?  Was the rim enlarged on the modern .45 or did some change in technology improve the 1873s ability to deal with the .45?  Does the .45 feed and eject and otherwise function in the 1873 just as well as the 44-40?

Thanks in advance for you time. 

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: Question about rifle quality
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 08:12:22 AM »
(Moderator note: Marshal, perhaps we should move this to the Newbie section?)

A few questions only for those inclined to answer.  Feel free to ignore.

I want an 1873 clone with a 30" barrel, as perfect in form and function and durability as is possible on the market today.

1.   Is the only manufacturer Uberti, with several different importers (Cimmeron, Taylor, etc.) or is there another manufacturer?

2.    If Uberti is the only game in town, do the different importers cherry-pick Uberti's stock?

3.    If the importers cherry-pick Uberti's stock, which one pays Uberti to get the best pick?

4.  Would Uberti USA have an advantage over the other importers?

5.    I once heard the originals were never in .45 because the rim was too small for proper functioning in the 1873.  Is this true?  If so, how was this problem overcome for the modern clone?  Was the rim enlarged on the modern .45 or did some change in technology improve the 1873s ability to deal with the .45?  Does the .45 feed and eject and otherwise function in the 1873 just as well as the 44-40?

Thanks in advance for you time. 

Yes.. all the Winchester 73 replicas are made by Uberti.

No.. at least not anymore and not that any evidence from the past couple of years based on reports and observations.  Uberti USA is now out of business, I believe.  They have changed their name to VTI.  This change was required as part of the Baretta purchase of Uberti.  My best advice is to get reports regarding the customer service of the different importers.  All the guns are basically the same and they usually work right out of the box, but if you get a lemon, the service makes a big difference.  I would not pay significantly more for any one importer.

The rims on modern 45LC are larger.  I've had no problem with my 45LC model 66.

Adios and welcome! 

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 08:41:03 AM »
I have seen 19, 20 and 24 inch barrels. Does Uberti make a 30 incher?
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:32:26 PM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 08:55:52 AM »
Yep..
Ol' Will Ketchum shoots one, I do believe.  Not common but available.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 04:30:38 PM »
Stump Water has a '73 deluxe in .45.  Shot it for almost a year then when I got my new '73 he took my old one.  Seems that long barrel was getting old to him.    ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 03:47:01 PM »
I have a Taylor's and a Cimmaron Border Deluxe. Both are excellent rifles. Taylor's (IMHO) has a better customer service and are usually a little less expensive than the others. Catch them at a major shoot and they usually have some great deals that you can't turn down.  ;D

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 12:14:44 AM »
I have a 73 from Cimarron, a Henry from EMF, and a 66 from Taylors, all in 45 Colt and all are 24 1/4" barrels. The 24 1/4" barrel is probably the most common. All are identical in finish, fit & function. My 73 is 9 years old and in that time the only problem I've had is a broken elevator spring. I now keep extra springs in my gun cart. The 66 is my newest aquisition,  just a few months ago. I believe that Taylors has the lowest prices. I was able to get it for about $50 to $75 less than the same one through other distributors. And yes Uberti USA is out of business as of Dec. 31, 2002, due to the sell out to Berettta. They are now VTI Parts and do not sell completed guns, just parts and they usually have the best prices on parts compared to Brownells & a few other places.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 01:41:37 AM »
Charlie Cloud said:  "5.    I once heard the originals were never in .45 because the rim was too small for proper functioning in the 1873.  Is this true?  If so, how was this problem overcome for the modern clone?  Was the rim enlarged on the modern .45 or did some change in technology improve the 1873s ability to deal with the .45?  Does the .45 feed and eject and otherwise function in the 1873 just as well as the 44-40?"

It's my understanding that the .45 Colt was originally a propriatary cartridge, and for a period of time any other manufacturer wishing to chamber a firearm for that caliber would have been legally bound to pay Colt in order to do so.  Therefore, Winchester did not chamber their firearms in .45 Colt caliber.

Offline Charlie Cloud

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 11:29:06 PM »
Thank you all for your responses.

One other question if you don't mind:

I used to be able to tell an old machined-steel Winchester from a more recent one just by the sound it made when operating the lever action ("swish-swish" versus "clinkity-clink").  How do today's clones stack up to the old originals as far as quality of workmanship and materials?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 04:02:44 PM »
Big Hext is right, I do have a 73 with a 30?bbl. in 45 Colt.  The long barrel can cause some problems when you have to move it around props and shoot inside something like a stagecoach but the style points are well worth it in my opinion.

In this past year I have also bought a Henry in 44-40 and a 66 in 44 spl..  The quality is fine on each of them.

I assume you are talking about the difference between the pre-64 Winchester 94 and the post one.  The difference is because the amount of stamped parts in the later ones.  You won't find that difference between the original 73s, 66s and Henrys and the modern clones.  For most part the Italian made guns have good material in them although the screws and sometimes the springs can be a bit soft.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 02:42:13 PM »
I read that the reason the 45 Colt was not chambered in rifles was the small diameter rim, and the round corners of the balloon head case.  The modern solid head case has sharper corners, especially where the body meets the head (rim), and gives a better purchase for the extracter.  The Schofield S&W could not extract the Colt rim without slipping cases back under the extracter star, so the 45 S&W round (Schofield) has a larger diameter rim.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com