Author Topic: 1860 Henry - Made in the USA  (Read 17221 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
1860 Henry - Made in the USA
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
I just read the article in this months American Rifleman about the Henry Repeating Arms 45-70 lever rifle.  The most interesting part was the last paragraph of the article.  In it they stated that the next project for Henry Repeating Arms was to build an exact replica (other than the original chambering) of the 1860 Henry.  It would be built entirely in the US and chambered in 44-40.

I will have one as soon as they are available.  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
Re: 1860 Henry - Made in the USA
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:40 AM »
Anthony Imperato showed this one at Shot 2013 in January..
They said then, look for a Summer release ..now they say October .

They will list @ $2300.00...word has it Davidson's may offer them @ $1950.00

I'm of the opinion they are using Uberti raw parts and USA finish & assembling...
The Imperato family have gone this route before ( with the Colt Blackpowder Series)
I could be wrong...but I just don't see them reinventing the wheel as the cost would very high to tool up.

EDIT: I was wrong ... HRA reversed engineered an original  100% US made and American Burl Walnut is stunning

I Got mine in Nov. 2013 ...Gun review is posted as sticky
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:22:07 PM »
Based on their current POC, I'd wait about buying one 'til a few shooting reviews come out.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:39:35 PM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »
IT lives!

http://henryrepeating.com/The-Original-Henry-Rifle.cfm

Looks pretty dang good to me!  ;D  Now about that price....... :o
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »
I paid more than that for my c.sharps rifle. It looks good to me and I know this company makes a good gun, but at that thier quality doesn't compare to a c.sharps or Shiloh. I sure would like to see one in person before I consider forking out that much money
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »
I really like seeing other companies jumping into the cowboy era guns but just wonder if they have priced themselves completely out of the market.

If someone didn't already offer a quality Henry replica it would be different but when they price this at twice the price of a Uberti I wouldn't expect their sales to soar. I mean, when theirs is standing next to a Uberti on a rack how do you sell that?

It really looks good in their photo with nice wood so maybe the quality and made in USA will make the sale. I know I'm anxious to see one in person.

It will be interesting to see how this goes for them.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »
I have seen 8 of them in person and they are pretty and have a good piece of wood on them. I shot a couple of them. I will  let others do the report on them. The price does seem a bit steep. I will keep my Uberti.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 05:56:16 AM »
Like Cliff, I'm pleased to see the new products offered, like the new HRA Henry or the new Miroku 73.

I would like to point out neither have been presented to NCOWS for Approval....
They may have indeed passed muster for SASS.

I'm not smug enough to say NCOWS is the defining credence, but it (NCOWS) does have different ideals.
Just saying that as yet , this Judge has not seen enough to weigh-in  in either's case to offer a recommendation to Congress & the membership.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:57:19 AM »
43" barrel?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1265
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
43" barrel?

43" would be the overall length of the rifle.  And for that they list 36 1/2".  Have no idea where that number came from.  Hope their rifle QC is better than their ad proofreading  :D

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »

Boxes of new Henry Repeating Arms co. rifles
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
Is that defined as a "Critical point" in turning a battle around?  Looking at that I can imagine the soldiers' excitement :D  YAHOO- no more single shots ;D

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
Sean,

Really nice Boxes!
But I want to know about the guns.
I want to know about the guns from the maker!
Has the HRA Co. offered one up to the N-SSA for inspection/approval by SAC?
I would like to know, How they work, how they function, how they load, how they "measure" up to the others?
I want to see close up photos of all of these things.
My best,
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
Whoa fellas!  Let's step back and look at this.  (1) Comparing this rifle to the BigBoy is apples to oranges.  Entirely different action, and an action that is well proven in the originals and in the Uberit copies.  An 1860 action is an 1860 action,  (2)  If HRA says it is all USA made, I believe them based on their past track record.  It is a matter of principal with them, and I can't see them shining up Uberti parts for anything they make.   Now before anyone goes off thinking I am a salesman for HRA, quite the opposite - I have more often been a critique!  That said, you have to give the devil his due - bringing this rifle to production is an enormous accomplishment from a fairy small American gun makers.

Yes, the price is high.  It always amazes me that folks will whine about not having an American made ________ and then when they are asked to pay the price, they whine because it costs more than an import.  Really, you are surprised about that? ???

I have seen 8 of them in person and they are pretty and have a good piece of wood on them. I shot a couple of them. I will  let others do the report on them. The price does seem a bit steep. I will keep my Uberti.

Sean, if you have shot two of them and had a chance to handle same, why not report your impressions?  :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
It really gets a little complicated. I am not an employee of the company but I am dealing with a movie company using them in their movie. I am sure one of the gun writers will get their hands on one soon and have a complete write-up on the new Henry rifle. Sorry, I guess I am really not much help other than to report that these guns are a reality, well at least 8 are anyway. :)
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
What we need is what Grizzly Adams did in the past with the Uberti '76 & an original:  a side by side comparison externally & internally. The "tale of the tape" so to speak. I think few if any people will buy one until they see this and feel the extra expense warranted.

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
I have an Uberti in .44-40, so why buy this one.  If they had chambered it for a more interesting cartridge, I would have been more interested.  Chambering  it for .44 Russian, which closely matches the .44 Henry's overall length, would have allowed them to match the original exterior and linkage dimensions.  Chambering it for .44 Special would allowed for a case capacity capacity which is close to the Henry's case capacity.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 04:25:18 AM »
BAD REVIEW:

Over the weekend I got to get my hands on a couple of these rifles. Everyone was very excited to finally be able to se these new rifles. As we pulled them out of the box the front sight fell off one. No biggies it would still technically function right and things can happen, I mean maybe it was Friday and the sight guy had a date or something. We unboxed another one and discovered that the lever would not stay in the up position because on that one the action was so sloppy. Hmmmm. Out of ten rifles 5 had really serious issues. That is a 50 percent failure rate. One would not cycle because the bolt would not move to the rear completely. The actions on the ones that did work were very “clunky”. They are much heavier that than the Uberti and many of the parts are simply bigger such as the lever catch that is to the rear of the lever. It is so big that it is actual hard to manipulate at times. This is an issue on the rifles that swing on their own because you must engage the catch to keep from accidentally cycling a round. At this point I would not buy one due to the poor quality and the over inflated price. Out of 40 guys that got to actually look at them and handle them and see what problems they actually had not one said they would buy one. Unless this rifle becomes more competitive in quality and price I am afraid the Italians will continue to dominate the market.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/robert-farago/new-from-henry-repeating-arms-the-original-henry-rifle-ish/

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
It's a shame to read not so good things about a "new" American made Henry.  Considering the Mfgr, not a surprise, just a shame.
I've got 4 Uberti made Henrys (had 5), guess I'll keep em.  They all work very well indeed.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
As NCOWS Judge, I have written to and recieved a reply from Anthony Imperato, in regards to one being sent for a gun test.
He requested my FFL # , and it was provided , he responded to that as well...
We'll see if a Henry is sent,   :-\  If it is , I'll review it & write the impressions for the "Shootest"

Mean while it is not approved for NCOWS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com