Author Topic: Taurus Gaucho - UPDATE 10-27-05  (Read 12330 times)

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taurus Gaucho - UPDATE 10-27-05
« on: October 11, 2005, 07:28:46 PM »
On Aug. 23rd I picked up a pair of high polished SS 5 1/2" Taurus Gauchos in 45 Colt consecutively serial numbered that I had ordered. On Saturday August 27th I took them to the range to try them out. Much to my dismay one chamber in one of them would not fire. Upon examination of the cartridge in that chamber I discovered that the firing pin was consistantly striking the very edge of the primer. I called Taurus on Monday the 28th and they had FedEx pick it up at my home the next day. They received it on the 31st.

I received the gun back form Taurus on Sept.28th with a note saying that they had fired 80 something rounds of Winchester 225gr Silvertip JHP through it & did not find a problem.  ??? The only thing I can figure was a burr on the rachet or possibly some dirt or metal shavings causing the cylinder to slightly over or under rotate.

Now for the positive. Fit & finish is superb in every way. The guns balance very nicely. I checked the trigger pull, which has no creep, with a RCBS trigger pull gauge and both triggers let off at 1 lb 14 oz. The rear sight channel is squared off (or U shaped as some call it) and somewhat wider and the front sight blade is a little thicker than on a standard Colt SAA or clone making sighting a little faster. The grips on all Gaucho models are black checkered hard rubber. The guns are equipped (as are all Taurus firearms) with their exclusive locking system unobtrusively located at the very bottom of the hammer and each gun comes with two keys. The Gauchos, as are all Taurus revolvers, are equipped with a transfer bar safety system rendering the gun safe to carry fully loaded with 6 rounds if one choses to do so for non-CAS purposes. The actions on both guns are very smooth and Taurus uses Wolf springs in them.

Unfortunately due to other commitments & rainy weather I wasn't able to get back out to the range to fire this pair until yesterday. I shoot a 250gr RNFP lead bullet over 4.2gr of Hogdon Clays in Starline brass with a Federal primer. With that load both guns shot POA with groups of about 1 3/4" at CAS distances and functioned flawlessly.  :)

Now as to the cost. Granted because I used to work there & the shop owner and I are very good friends I received a special price of $359.00 each + sales tax. Taurus' MSRP is $500 for the stainless, $499 for the all blue & $510 for the B/CH. I was in the shop this morning and he had a blue model priced at $376.00.  He also had New Model Ruger Vaqueros in both blue & SS priced at $450.00. If Ruger isn't careful Taurus is going to take the lead in CAS revolvers.

Thought I'd add a pic of them with synthetic stag grips from www.gripmaker.com The grips are just a tad lighter than they appear in the pic.

Taurus has just added 44-40 caliber to the Gaucho lineup.

God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Taurus Gaucho
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:14:01 AM »
Thanks fer the report, Col. I have handled one. I really liked it, but I would like it better in .44-40.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 01:15:48 PM »
Slim Taurus has not yet announced any plans for the Gaucho in any other calibers other than 45 Colt & 357 which is now available. I suggest that you call or write Taurus requesting it in 44-40. If enough pards do so they'll make it.
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Advertising

Re: Taurus Gaucho - UPDATE 10-27-05
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:05:56 AM »

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 12:38:13 PM »
The Gaucho is reviewed in the current issue of Handguns magazine, (Dec.'05 / Jan. '06).  The review is written by Dick Metcalf, a gun scribe who's writings I have enjoyed up until this article.  In the text he states the price is $370 while in the side bar of the gun's particulars it states the price is $500.  No biggie.  However, at another point in the article he states that the "Gaucho can be fanned like the original Colt SAA".  Then says, "Cowboy competitors will love that".  I say, Wrong!  On both counts.  I own one old Colt SAA and I wouldn't dream of fanning it.  And... am I mistaken or isn't fanning against the rules of SASS?

Mr. Metcalf also states at one point in the article that the Gaucho contains "traditional" flat springs as opposed to coil springs used by many modern SA - revolver makers... like use of coil springs was a bad thing.  Coil springs aren't prone to breakage the way flat springs are.  That's why many gun makers now use them.  Duh!  Besides, they're inside the gun.  Who's going to know if your gun has modern coil springs or traditional flat springs anyway?  Mr. Metcalf also states that the Gaucho is the closest duplicate to the Colt SAA he has ever seen.  I think that ridiculous statement stands on it's own.   :o  ???  :(  :-\

On the positive side, the Gaucho seems to be a very well made single action revolver and I'm always glad to see a new affordable sixgun hit the market.  It will help keep down the prices on all the others.  I wouldn't be opposed to owning a Gaucho myownself at some point in the future.   Hmmm...  44-40 eh?   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:00:15 PM »
Boy Danny, Metcalf is full of malarkey. Yes it looks like a Colt on the outside but that's about as far as it goes. It has a transfer bar safety system similar to the Ruger revolvers. I've never seen a Colt SAA with a transfer bar. The prices I listed are MSRP right from the Taurus web site & what my favorite toy store actually sells them for which isn't close to MSRP.

You're very correct when you say fanning isn't permitted. I would never fan any single action unless it had been customised to do so and then I sure wouldn't do it in a CAS match.

The main spring is a flat spring but I don't know if the others are flat or coil as I haven't torn them down to check. The Gaucho is very well made and I am well pleased with mine.
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 06:00:34 AM »
There was a new Pard practicin' at the range last night who has a pair in .357. 
But was puttin' his gear away to go to work.
He said they are really tight & well made.  I would like to see them perform.

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 12:29:17 PM »
.44-40 is now listed on their website.  ;D
I might have to get a brace of stainless ones.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 09:26:10 AM »
Looks like they will be doing a buntline as well.  Now if they can only get the Thunderbolt out...........

Offline no name

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 06:08:23 AM »
In '64 I bought a Ruger Blackhawk 357 7 1/2 in Tucson that I used to plink with and to back up my bow when hunting. Never shot competitively but put 10's of thousands of rounds throught it. Never could hit much consistently. Mostly just made a lot of noise.

Decided to get into quickdraw and try a pair of Gaucho 5 1/2's.  On my very first time out to see where the sights registered, standing at 21' with a two-handed hold, four of the first five rounds went into a 1" bull. So did four of the second five. WOW. I don't know, but I 'm guessing it is the different sight picture and trigger pull.

Unfortunately, I discovered CFD, which seems to make more sense, after buying these in 357.  CFD only permits 45LC.  Can't resist, and they'll be lighter; but I'm, sold on the Gaucho. Beautiful job, Taurus!

Offline EL GUAPO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »
Yup I want one of these but the local shops all want $425 on up!!!
If anyone knows who sells em in So Cal for less let me know...

Offline law dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 01:27:40 PM »
In Tampa they average 393.00 after taxes, going to pick up my first of two 5 1/2 .45 colt this payday.

44caliberkid

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 07:22:58 AM »
I'm in the market for an SAA style revolver in 44-40 with 7.5 inch barrel, and was considering the Taurus.  I own two Taurus guns now, so I have no predudice against them.  I have not seen a case hardened frame version, only all black or polished stainless, but I'll tell you, I think that all black one is butt ugly.  It looks like it was sprayed with gloss black Krylon, not blued.  I don't know what the case one will look like, but I'm certainly disappointed in the cosmetic appearance so far.  Looks like I'll be going with a Uberti or Pietta instead.  I also think there is way too much writing all over the darn thing, doesn't anybody remember all the bitching Ruger recieved for stamping out a novel on their guns?

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 09:52:26 AM »
Well Kid the lettering could be made smaller. I'll have to agree with you there. But it isn't so obtrusive that it would make me spend more money on a gun with a one year warranty and have to have an action job as you will with a Uberti. Your other choice is the Charles Daly or Great Western II which are the same guns made by Pietta. The Daly has a lifetime warranty as long as you don't let somebody else work on it & they even pay the freight to send it back to them. I also own a pair the Daly Classic 1873 SAAs in SS & the quality is every bit as good as the Gaucho. The cost was just a bit more.
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline EL GUAPO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
OK I just plunked down my half of my tax refund on a polished stanless steel GAUCHO.  It just felt so good in my hand.  Love at first sight. It's the 4 3/4 incher in 45... ;D ;D ;D
I'll let you all know how it shoots when I get a chance to shoot it. 

Offline Marshal EL Heffay

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 08:25:15 PM »
I just picked up the same Gaucho in polished s/s in 4 3/4".and I have to admit the balance and feel is super.
 Almost as good as my 1858's. 

Offline EL GUAPO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 07:41:04 PM »
Ok I love it!
Loaded up coffe can full of  255 gr copper plated flat points over 6.5 grains of unique.  Then I headed out to the desert to beat the rain.
I ran maybe 200 plus through it at paper targets.  this load shot a little to the left but was easily adjusted bt alighning up the front sight all the way to the right of the U notch rear sight.  Then it all centered well around the bulls eye.  It groups well pretty good seeing how it was COLD and drizzling and raining.  Hey if golfers will play in this weather I can't whimp out.  One thing though is those polished sights are kinda hard to see when the sun poked  through and reflected off the pistol. The action is sweet light with a little grit in the trigger  But way way better than the Vaquero.
This pistol shot a little tighter than the old model Vaquero I was trying out last weekend that I was thinking about buying if this Taurus ended up being a dog.. At 21 feet (using a tape measure) it actually shot 3 outta 5 in the X ring of the target.  Anyways after a few lightning strikes nearby I decided to get outta Dodge in the Dodge.
I didn't get to try out the Black hills 255 grain loads.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com