Author Topic: Colt 45 ammo. (long colt)  (Read 8467 times)

Offline Buddy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt 45 ammo. (long colt)
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
I have an Umberti 1873 colt 45 replica. I have been using Sellier & Bellot 250gr LRN, seems to work really well. I want to start reloading my own so I contacted S & B to find out how much powder they put in their rounds. They replied with 50-52g which is about 800gr. To me this doesn't make sense, so  I  guess I should a asked what kind of powder they use as well. I know I'll figure it out eventually by reading the re loaders manual but I was hoping for some input from experienced loaders. Whats a good load, middle ground not max cup or min either.

Thanks

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
Re: Colt 45 ammo. (long colt)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:02:03 PM »
Howdy Buddy, somebody feed you a bunch of houie, the 45 case does'nt even take that much BP to fill the case. First buy a couple of good reloading manuals, Lymans, ABCs, Richard Lee Modern Reloading. Then find someone who already reloads to go over the basics with you. Then pick a powder for a good mid range load, Clays, Trail Boss, Red Dot....etc...etc Also with the Sellier & Bellot brass you may need a primer pocket reamer, don't know about their 45s but the 38s are hard to seat a primer in. I finally threw away all my Sellier & Bellot and Americ brass, just not worth it. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:28:24 PM »
Please follow Jefro's advice.  We want you to remain alive and shooting.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:11:15 AM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:26:20 PM »
+++1 on the advice above. Read a lot before you get started loading, then use data from the loading manuals. It really doesn't matter how much powder Sellier& Beloit use in their loads, because they may be using a powder that isn't even available to reloaders.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1244
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »
I'm guessing there was some misunderstanding somewhere, and they meant 5.0 to 5.2 gr of some powder (S&B uses smokeless), and that it gives 800 fps.  That's a guess on my part.  I agree with the others, get a good reloading manual that will describe the mechanics of reloading as well as listing various load recipes.  And if possible find an experienced person to show you the ropes to get you started.  I did not have anyone to help me when I started, but I got Speer #13 reloading manual and it was quite good at explaining everything.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
As Abilene said, the 5.0-5.2 sounds more reasonable for a 250 grain bullet load. Depending on the powder of course.

Check IMR load data for Trail Boss. I think you'll find that amount to be about right for that powder and a 250 bullet.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

1961MJS

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
HI

I'm having a little trouble with my .45 LC loads.  I made up ten each of min to close to max (I went to 5.5 grains of Trail Boss.)  I need to just make up a few of 5.3 or 5.5 grain and put another few hundred rounds through the 1892 Rossi Lever action I have.  I also need to get the flat sights because me and the buckhorn sights aren't getting along.  I mainly shoot bullseye....

I thought I had cranked the straight crimp down enough, but boy was I wrong.  I had a bunch of the bullets get pushed all of the way in the brass just in the box. The bullets actually fell down the cases without needing to push them in.  I'm not where the reloading stuff is, so I can't measure the bullets to see that they're REALLY .454 inches.   I also need to full length re-size before I reload the rest of the new cases.  The old cases worked a lot better.  I've reloaded for years, but I've never had to re-size before I reloaded before now. 

My main question here is if most people's accurate .45 LC load is closer to Minimum or Maximum.  The reloading basics are just something I have to work through.  I've never reloaded straight wall revolver loads yet.

Thanks

Mike
Norman OK

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 06:17:32 AM »
The bullets fell down into the case just sitting in the box???!   Are ya sure they are 45 colt?

1961MJS

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
The bullets fell down into the case just sitting in the box???!   Are ya sure they are 45 colt?

Hi

Yep, 45 Long Colt from Starline or Winchester.  I didn't check when I was at the house, but I'm wondering if the bullets are somewhat under .452.  My company closed where I used to work so I have a house in Wichita with most of my stuff and an apartment in Oklahoma.  My reloading stuff is still in Kansas.

Mike

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »
Sounds more like the case was not sized.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

1961MJS

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
Sounds more like the case was not sized.

They weren't but I've never had to do that before on about 1000 .45 ACP cases.

Later

Mike

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
They weren't but I've never had to do that before on about 1000 .45 ACP cases.

Later

Mike

How did you get the bullets to stay in them unsized? What you describe would be the normal result of reloading unsized cases.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 05:40:17 AM »
Either the bullet is too small or the case is too big from not being sized.  I would guess it is the later also.  Size your cases.

1961MJS

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
How did you get the bullets to stay in them unsized? What you describe would be the normal result of reloading unsized cases.

Hi

The only things I've ever reloaded are .45 ACP, .270 Winchester, and .22-250.  None required sizing on NEW cases.  Obviously NEW .45 LC cases DO need resizing.  I think that the bullets may be undersized also.

Mike

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
With brand new, sometimes yes, sometimes no. This time it would seem yes.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
Hi

The only things I've ever reloaded are .45 ACP, .270 Winchester, and .22-250.  None required sizing on NEW cases.  Obviously NEW .45 LC cases DO need resizing.  I think that the bullets may be undersized also.

Mike

Sorry, didn't catch that they were new. I rarely buy any new pistol caliber cases, and usually for rifle, I re-size and reload same as reloaded case, to clean up any dented case mouths.

1961MJS

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »
Hi

Yep, 45 Long Colt from Starline or Winchester.  I didn't check when I was at the house, but I'm wondering if the bullets are somewhat under .452.  My company closed where I used to work so I have a house in Wichita with most of my stuff and an apartment in Oklahoma.  My reloading stuff is still in Kansas.

Mike

Hi

I was back in Kansas for a Bullseye match and was able to put a micrometer on a bullet and it was .452 inches.  I only checked one, busy weekend.

Mike

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1244
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »
Be sure you are using a roll crimp in the crimp groove of the bullet, in addition to sizing the new cases.  One time I tried loading a few 45LC in new unsized nickle cases, and with a good roll crimp the bullets did not push into the case, but I could hold the case in one hand and turn the bullet with my fingers, so I knew there was insufficient grip on the bullet and I started sizing the new cases.  Nowadays on my 45LC and 44 Spcl rounds I also use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, which resizes the finished round again at the same time it crimps.  You didn't mention what type of bullets you are using (.452 size is fine BTW), but if you are using bullets meant for 45acp then they will not have a crimp groove and it becomes even more important to give it a good crimp that bites into the bullet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com