Author Topic: Marlin 1894 lever action compared to Winchester/Uberti 73 action  (Read 11050 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi guys,

I'm still very new to CAS and am selecting a lever action in 38/357.

So far the short list is the Uberti 1873 and the Marlin 1894.

I have a limited understanding of how the Uberti action works with the 'elevator' etc but still don't have a clear understanding of how the Marlin action is different. I understand the marlin uses a lever to lift the ammo from the mag tube to the chamber compared to the elevator. I've seen the Marauder website which helps a little.

Does someone have pictures of the Marlin action operating?

I've also been told the Uberti action isn't as strong as the Marlin action. However the Uberti has a shorter stroke and can be modified to make it even shorter (with the short stroke kit) whereas the Marlin cannot be modified other then to make it smoother and prevent the "Marlin Jam".

Thanks

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Marlin 1894 lever action compared to Winchester/Uberti 73 action
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »
After a year shooting with the local outfit, reckon that makes me practically a "nextpert"  ;D At least 'til some of the old hands can educate us both.

I swapped a '94 Winchester .30-30 for a '94 "Cowboy" Marlin in .45 LC to match my handguns. Used a little, it's a sweet rifle, has never jammed on me, and is accurate at 200 yards, fun to shoot !

Scuttlebutt with the guys I shoot with is that the '73 Winchester action (they all got Uberti repros) is a little quicker than the Marlin, but I've seen some mechanical difficulties with 'em at matches, at least a couple of those problems were due to errors in reloading the ammo. At least in our group of duffers, you'd never be able to tell from scores who was shooting what, for us, any advantage either rifle may have don't tell.

Meantime, I picked up an Uberti '73 Win. carbine, also used and abused, sights screwed up, and badly leaded-up, I have yet to get it shooting, so I can't vouch for its reasonable performance compared to the Marlin. I think it will be OK.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »
In this cutaway view of a '73.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Gun%20parts/Winchester_73_sideview_zps9ac78a1a.jpg

This the cartridge elevator. You are looking at the end towards the mag tube. Note that the elevator "captures" the round. You cannot lose the round.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Gun%20parts/Winchester1873elevator_zps339a8ba7.jpg

This is the elevator arm. It is connected to the lever with a common bolt through the receiver and is positioned through an opening in the back of the elevator.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Gun%20parts/Winchester1873elevatorarm_zpsb06309da.jpg

With polishing, the '73 makes for a very smooth working rifle.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Advertising

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
SASS29170L

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
test

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Gun%20parts/Marlin1895cowboycutaway_zps8629dd59.jpg

Picking up either gun right out of the box is not a realistic test to show how easy they are to cycle. Thats why we keep telling newbies "go to a match" and ask. Be aware that this alone may not be a good test. Simply ask someone "what shooter has the slickest '73/Marlin".
SASS29170L

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »
Thats why we keep telling newbies "go to a match" and ask. Be aware that this alone may not be a good test.

Thanks for that. I've been to a few matches and chatted with some of the guys there and they all say either the Uberti or Marlin. However most of the Marlins are quite old and not of Remlin fame. Some didn't know Remington took over Marlin and moved their manufacturing. They did say Ubertis are more popular/faster but then you have to weigh up price with the Marlins being half the price of Uberti.

Hence I'm taking a chance if I go with Marlin.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
We use both guns at work. The Marlin is very accurate, stoutly built and easy to work on and clean.
The '73 is very slick, accurate, easier to work on and clean.
Both will handle any load within the limits of a handgun load.
If I were buying a hunting gun I'd get a Marlin, for Cowboy Shooting I have the '73.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »
The used Marlins are getting pricey, especially if they have a Widdermaker action job. I am biased but Cody Conagher aka Don Jones, a world enowned '73 gunsmith, will ship you a tricked out '73 for around $1395.00. There are a few used '73s that show up on the SASS wire and I would not hesitate to pick one up there, especially from a known cowboy.

The 1866 usually sells for about $1000.00 NIB. But you can get them tricked out and used for about $900.00. I recently bought a '66 for $900.00 LNIB.

Sometimes the pocketbook dictates but if at all possible, get a '73.
SASS29170L

Offline Abe E.S. Corpus

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »
I'd echo the advice to get your hands on examples of each.

Keep in mind that your choice of category might have some bearing on the subject.  For example, the Marlin is very popular with B-Western shooters who cannot use a '73.

It used to be that the Marlin was a less expensive rifle but with the price of good "JM" marked Marlins going up and up, it's less of a factor.

Both are fun to shoot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com