Author Topic: primers  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Tater Pickens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
primers
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:30:12 PM »
I have always used the federal large pistol primers for my 1884 trapdoor, 1878 coach gun, colt ssa's and uberti 73's because I have always heard they were the softest and least likely to give misfires. They always served me well. However, I have checked all my sources locally and on line and I cannot find any available. My local supplier does have some cci large pistol primers. What is ya'lls experience with cci's?Are they ok?

Thanks,

Tater Pickens

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: primers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
OK?  Depends on what you mean.  CCI sells hundreds of millions of them every year and they work fine.  Virtually all American made primers are reliable IF the mainspring pressure is sufficient.  Federals are favored by a lot of shooters because they can get away with lighter main springs and still ignite.  CCI's are generally considered to be the hardest.  Whether they will be reliable in your guns (particularly the handgun) depends on the state of tune of your guns.

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
I use Winchester, which are a little softer than CCI.  I have had one misfire in the past 4 years.  And I did shoot more than one round.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:41:02 PM »

Offline Tater Pickens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
My guns are all out of the box as far as springs go...no fancy tune ups for competitive shooting. We don't have a cowboy action shooting outfit around here but I just like the old cowboy guns and have since I was a small kid.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tater

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1261
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:23 PM »
My guns are all out of the box as far as springs go...no fancy tune ups for competitive shooting. We don't have a cowboy action shooting outfit around here but I just like the old cowboy guns and have since I was a small kid.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tater

Any factory stock gun "should" set off CCI primers.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
One of the reasons that Federals are in so high demand is that many (most?) people who have taken up reloading for handguns are also not afraid to tinker with their handguns, and spring swaps are one of the easiest and first things that get done.

I personally have several DA revolvers that work 100% of the time with Federals but would be miserable performers if I switched to CCI.

On the flip side, as you are noticing, CCI primers are right now easy to get and Federals are not. It may be partially due to brand loyalty, but the Federal primer shortage seems to have extended to 209 primers as well. In BP shotgun reloads, in my experience, a primer is a primer. and I use CCI interchangeably with whatever else I can get my hands on.

And, as many of have realized, when you see a case of 5000 primers of a brand and size that you have a use for on sale at a reasonable price, best to make them "not for sale any more" :-)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
I have a slicked up Ruger SSM in 32 Mag that will set off CCI Small rifle primers.  If the gun won't set off CCI primers something is wrong and I would be after the gunsmith with a sharp stick if it wouldn't. 

(I'm sure some with disagree, but if a gun can not be made to be 100% reliable there are major problems.) 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Tater Pickens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
I was able to finally locate 2000 CCI Large Pistol Primers today and snapped them up.

I don't believe they should be a problem in that it seems like a lot of cowboy shooters seem to use them.

All the springs in my guns are factory and I believe in only one of my colts saa's did I put the old gunfighter trick of putting a piece of leather under the spring where it bolts to the trigger guard to lighten it up a tad. I can always go back and take that leather out of there and put it back into it's factory configuration.

Soon as I get my next order from Springfield Slim I'll load some up and see what happens.

Thanks for all ya'lls input.

Tater

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com