Author Topic: Historical accuracy questions vis-a-vis Morticians...  (Read 5746 times)

Offline Sebastyen Storm

• Pastor with a Pistol
  • Citizen
  • "May The Lord bless thee, and keep thee."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Historical accuracy questions vis-a-vis Morticians...
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
I am, somewhat unoriginally, adapting my personal life into my persona or impression.
To this end, I have been attempting to research what, if any, specialized clothing a Victorian-era mortician may have worn.
In those oh-so-accurate western films, the so-called 'undertakers' always seem to be dressed in nothing more ceremonial than an all-black sack suit, and if that's more or less the case, then that simplifies my search a great deal.
However, It has been suggested that oftimes a Howie-style coat may have been worn.
In case you don't know what it is that I'm referring to.
I am completely unsure of this idea, but I thought that perhaps I should go to more learned heads than I to ask.
I have searched (google and bing, but there are only so many photos of wrestlers that I can tolerate) and I have searched the forum as well.
Does any one here know, (especially if there are some bona fide photographs) what did the morticians of yesteryear wear?
Much thanks, in advance,
The Right Reverend Sebastyen Storm
"...and he who sat astride him was Death..."

RATS #287

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Historical accuracy questions vis-a-vis Morticians...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:47:48 PM »
Photographs of Morticians at work in the Civil war show them in white shirts and vests taht look like sack suit vests.  Of course, these guys were working outside or in tents and kind of "on the fly . . ."

See here:  http://www.obit-mag.com/articles/death-becomes-her

and here:  http://kootation.com/embalming-a-dead-soldier.html

1890 western US:  http://www.wiefelsmortuary.com/our_history.html  Might contact that mortuary for information?   But I would call/write these fine folks at the National Museum of Funeral History.  Betting they could answer you!

http://nmfh.org/

Yours,

Mean Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Sebastyen Storm

• Pastor with a Pistol
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
I thank you on all counts, Mean Bob.
This goes to show that I am poorly equipped for the era of 'searching' and 'interwebs'.

RATS #287

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:17:07 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
Too bad Digger O'dell, The Friendly Undertaker, from "The Life of Reilly" radio show isn't around. Maybe he could have suggested something.  ;D ::)  "Good evening, Reilly. You're looking fine. So very natural."  "Well, cherrio...I'd better be...shovelling off!"
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »
Theirs was a needed, but somber profession - their style of dress would reflect that.

Fortunately for you, there are numerous books dealing with Victorian-era apparel, so if you stick to the dark colors, with no ostentation beyond perhaps a watch fob showing an affiliation with your Lodge, you'll be fine.

Head off to your local Public Library, and find a Librarian who can direct you towards the costuming.fashion area.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
Historical accuracy for an undertaker's garb would depend a lot on where you lived in the "developing" West, and at what time.

Up and down this valley, until quite recently, there were still at least three  funeral homes operating in conjunction with a furniture store. That's because in the old days, the guys making and selling furniture also made coffins . . .

Up 'til relatively recently, close friends and kin saw to the preparation and "laying out " of the dead, so the fancy trappings one associates with Victorian "undertakers" such as formal clothing, top-hats with crepe bows, etc., etc. would probably not have been the norm in most small places, and not even an option early-on. Which is not to say there wouldn't have been a demand. For example, in 1864, when the Vigilantes hung the notorious Jack Slade, his fiery widow had a lead-lined coffin built, and filled it with whiskey so his body could be transported (by wagon) from Virginia City MT to Salt Lake City for burial. (his gravesite has been lost, BTW). It would probably have been another 15-20 years before the services of a professioal mortician would have been available in that area, though.

You can still see some very fancy hearses displayed in the big boom towns like Virginia City Nevada, and Tombstone AZ though, which indicates that funerals with all of the customary formality and pomp including being pulled by six black horses with plumes, and all were available in those places in the 1880s. Photos of the Clantons and McClearys Wyatt and his thugs murdered show them in very fancy coffins . . . no simple pine boxes for them !

Parting thought:  the tradition of an abundant floral spray over the coffin had a "functional" aspect in the olden days . . . lots of flowers would somewhat muffle the ominous, final sound of clods hitting the coffin . . .

On that happy note, y'all have a dandy-fine day !!

Offline Sebastyen Storm

• Pastor with a Pistol
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »
I thank all of you for your inputs - The Howie Coat looks more than a little 'mad scientist' to me, thankfully.
Somber and unostentatious I can handle.
lots of flowers would somewhat muffle the ominous, final sound of clods hitting the coffin . . .
And the odor - embalming wasn't (and still isn't!) an exact science.

Memento Mori,

RATS #287

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com