Poll

Do you cast your own bullets?

Always
Never
Sometimes
Not yet but would like to get started
Used to, hated it

Author Topic: Do you or don't you cast your own bullets?  (Read 12923 times)

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Juneau Gold Miners' Posse
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Do you or don't you cast your own bullets?
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
Reading some reloading posts I have started wondering how many folks here cast your own bullets. 

Me, I like the authenticity, I started casting toy soldiers when I was maybe eight, I often shoot C&B, and I am cheap.   ;)

-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

Offline Peddler Parsons

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Do you or don't you cast your own bullets?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »
Yes I cast 120's for my 38 open tops and 158's  for my 73 as well as 200's and 250"s  for my 45's LAO 460's for the 45/70; have been for several years of and no, but the last couple of years all cast.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »
I have had a virtually infinite supply of clean free lead for the last 20 years... slightly softer than Lyman #2.

The only time I buy bullets is for things that really need a jacket on them (.223 and .308 for instance).

Right now, bullets are so scarce that it is way easier to just plug in the pot and make some myself.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:09:15 AM »

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
I'm a "most of the time" guy.  I cast for everything that has a velocity under 1500 fps. or so.  For the 1st time, I have acquired some 44-40s and am eagerly awaiting the casting supplies to come in on that one.  I'm a life long caster, really enjoy it and it is a good way of killing long winter nights.

Billy

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:13:05 AM »
Do to where I live I can't however if and when I retire for good I will probably take it up. I do have sources for some really good cast bullets that do the job for cowboy action to serious hunting big game.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
I don't yet, but I've gathered up about 25lbs of lead. I have made sinkers over a propane stove in the past. My next investment is to get some equipment, a mold and a electric melting heater and do some more reading about the process, eg. lubing and sizing.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
I do! It makes sense, especially now that shooting supplies are erratic. You don't spend less $$, but you do get to shoot more.  Apartment dwellers, or really busy folks might give it a miss.  Find a local mentor to shorten the learning curve.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »
I cast my own bullet's for all of my old time round's. I make my own lube and enjoy knowing I had as much of a hand in building the load as I could.I have taken many game animal's using home cast bullet's, and bp. ammo that I have reloaded.After purchasing all the mould's, lead ,brass, lube fixin's ,or lube die's ,primer's over the yr's. I have ended up with an assortment of equip. that allow's me to make ammo for the type of shooting at hand. May be light gallery load's for plinking,or heavy bullet and charge for hunting ,or match grade for target practice. You get the picture. That's why I cast my own bullet's and reload ,I can make ammo when I want it ,Taylor made for my firearms. And if I went into the local store and ask fer a box of 45-120-500 Sharp's ,or 45-75wcf,or 40-60wcf, or 38-40s what ya think the feller behind the counter would say. HUNGH.......Dusty

Offline Beauregard Hooligan

• CAS-L Moderator
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Cas City Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 03:20:44 AM »
I used to cast all my bullets, but since my shooting has decreased, and because of fears of having toxic lead in my garage and the risk of burns, I now only cast bullets that I can't find easily from vendors. I have enough casting and sizing gear and lead to sink a moderate sized boat, but would rather just cast for things I can't find things I want but can't find, like bullets for 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser, which is a natural for coyotes with a m96 Mauser and hard lead bullets. :)
My Cas City Profile: http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/beauhooligan/
SASS Life * NMLRA * NRA Life * Deputy of CAS-L * River City Regulators * Mother Lode Shootist Society * Murietta Posse, WASA #56.
Stockton, Ca.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:52:40 AM »
I cast all my own.  You darn near have to cast in order to have a reliable supply of bullets of proper alloy and correct lube for BP ammo.  I cast for 44-40, 45 Colt (200 & 250 grain), 45 Auto, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70 and .457 round balls.

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
I used to cast all of my handgun bullets, but when I started shooting CAS I got a bit lazy and bought .38s and .45s for several years. Getting into making CAS level loads for military calibers for GAF shooting, had to get back into casting, for 45-70, 30-40Krag, 8mm for 8x57 and 8mm Lebel, even 6.5x55. Still haven't gotten a suitable mold for all the .311 diameter for all the various 7.62/7.65/.303 etc.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
PX;  Try bullets from Lyman 311299, or 314299.  They seem to be the ones most recommended for the .303 Brit.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:06 AM »
I've been casting since about 1974 when I picked up my 1st Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk. First mold was Lyman's 454424, Elmer Keith's bullet. Since then, I have acquired about 80 (!) or so more molds from .22 - .45 caliber. It can be addictive!

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
I just started casting & really enjoy it, I now have enough molds to cast all the different types that I need.  It's kind of like shooting black powder - from the outside looking in, it looks like more trouble than it's worth, but once you do it, it's not nearly as tough as you thought & a lot of fun.

Holler
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »
PX;  Try bullets from Lyman 311299, or 314299.  They seem to be the ones most recommended for the .303 Brit.

Sir Charles, I was going to order one of those when Midway sent out my "birthday sale special", but they were out of stock, as was everything else on my wish list! This seems to be the worst politician inspired shortage ever, usually it's just ammo and components, this time it even extends to loading tools and moulds!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
Sir Charles, I was going to order one of those when Midway sent out my "birthday sale special", but they were out of stock, as was everything else on my wish list! This seems to be the worst politician inspired shortage ever, usually it's just ammo and components, this time it even extends to loading tools and moulds!

Have you tried MIDSOUTH? They are out of stock as well!!!

10SEP13; MIDSOUTH is still out of stock on the 311299, but do have the 311284

9Feb14;  Still oos but they do have the 314299

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
I decided to put those on the "back burner" for a while, ordered some items for my French Foreign Legion outfit to take to the Dept of Missouri and Grand Muster. Bayonet, Canteen, some leather gear(still waiting on that) used up all my extra shooting stuff funds for a while.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
Casting is about the only aspect of shooting sports I have not undertaken.  I occasionally toy with the idea, but am getting really close to having to buy a second house for all my other toys.  She who must be obeyed certainly believes i have too many, but when I told her the gun safe was getting too full, her answer way might be time to get another safe.  My biggest hold back from taking the plunge or getting sucked into the melting pot truly is space to do it and store the equipment and lead supplies when not casting.  Arizona summers are not really conducive to sitting around anything hot, or wearing sufficient protective clothing not to get burned by the splatter.  From Halloween to Easter though weather is darn near perfect.

If I do jump in, why stop at bullets, I could also cast sinkers, spinner baits and jig heads

Just about got myself talked into it.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
 ;D  I cast  for almost everything i shoot. Course I'm feedin 2 cap and ball sixguns 2 45 colts,2 38 specs,a 45-70 Sharps a 45 colt 66, and 5 muzzleloading rifles......Well you git the idea,couldnt afford to do the kind of shooting i do without casting. I also find it relaxing after a week of work.
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Casting is the one thing I have done that has saved me any money! Reloading just meant I shot more! But casting bullets saves me money no matter how much I shoot! DR
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com